Bomb hits tailplane on release

Old June 23rd 04, 11:12 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
Robert Briggs wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:
Paul Housley wrote:

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and
destroy the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their
trajectory calcs right!

This shows up towards the end of a documentary called Dambusters,
which has been seen on UKs Channel 4.

The Lanc may have had guns, but that doesn't make it a fighter-bomber.

I'm sorry, I didn't give enough information. The footage of the American
aircraft disintegrating, being sought was at the end of the hour-long
documentary which included photos with a German officer standing beside a
mine which had not exploded, interviews with one of the tower sentries,
interviews with people who lived near the dams, German and American
variants, etc . It's been the best documentary on the whole bouncing bomb
idea

The only US aircraft that I am aware of that practiced and executed skip
bombing missions during WWII was the B-25, principally in the Southwest
Pacific theater; could that perhaps be the type of aircraft you were looking
for?

Brooks

Richard.

Old June 23rd 04, 11:22 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Pete" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote

We have a compilation video at work of "Store Release gone WRONG!" Makes
interesting viewing before we start doing release and jettison work.
Unfortunately it would be too large to email out of the office (and I

don't
think the security people would like it too much!)

Its made up mainly of Edwards/Eglin/Pax River stuff, but a few things

from
RAF/RN are in it as well.....

As an ex-weapons troop, I'd *love* to see that.

I had a tac officer back in school who had done some work with the Airborne
Test Board at Bragg while he was assigned to the 27th Engineer Battalion
there. He showed us a video of similar nature which could be best titled as
"Heavy Drop and LAPES Gone Wrong". LAPES'd vehicles flipping over, LAPES'd
loads breaking apart, LAPES drops from a wee bit too high (prang!), and the
best one, a vehicle heavy drop (an M551 Sheridan IIRC) that saw first one
large chute fail, then a second failure, and then the remaining chute shred
and the vehicle hit hard enough to crater the DZ. Of course these happened
in the days before the Enviro-Nazis took control, requiring that every spilt
drop of fuel at a FARP or FLE location be carefully policed up and hauled
back to the hazardous waste disposal area...

Brooks

Pete

Old June 24th 04, 05:45 AM
Jim Thomas

My favorite separation mishap story is of a flight test vertical dive
bomb release from an AD Skyraider by (IIRC) Douglas test pilot Bob
Rahn. The bomb, being slicker than the Spad, flew forward through the
prop and wiped it out. A maximum dive angle restriction for bomb
release became a permanent restriction in the flight manual.

Jim Thomas
Old June 24th 04, 06:38 AM
Paul Hirose

Paul Housley wrote:

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

A couple clips in the DVD titled "Terror in the Skies" from Madacy
Entertainment could fit that description. (The rear label also
mentions a copyright by Liberty International Entertainment.) I saw a
reference on the Web to Vol. V, so there must be a series of DVDs. The
one I have has no volume number; maybe it's the first one.

The subtitle is "Military Air Disasters" ("CONTAINS UNBELIEVABLE NEVER
BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE!") and it shows quite a few mishaps, from WW2 to
present. However, it also has weapon tests, gun camera footage, etc.

I think the film editing is terrible. Instead of presenting each
incident in its entirety, they chop up the footage and interleave it
with other stuff. E.g., there's a Vietnam era shot of howitzers
firing, then they cut to a drone blowing up over a range after being
hit with some totally different weapon. Later in the video you see the
same explosion a couple more times.

There's no narration, just a heavy metal soundtrack. The subtitles are
extremely sketchy, basically just identifying the aircraft ("F/A-18",
etc.)

If you can get past all these shortcomings, there is some interesting
footage.

--

Paul Hirose
To reply by email delete INVALID from address.

Old June 24th 04, 03:09 PM
Alan Minyard

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:38:33 GMT, Paul Hirose wrote:

Paul Housley wrote:

[...]

I have Volume II, the Fighters. Same criticism, basically, if you hit the
"mute" button before it starts there are a few interesting clips.

Al Minyard
Old June 24th 04, 07:30 PM
Robert Briggs

Robert Briggs wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:
Paul Housley wrote:

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

This shows up towards the end of a documentary called Dambusters, which
has been seen on UKs Channel 4.

The Lanc may have had guns, but that doesn't make it a fighter-bomber.

That said, without the "fighter-" qualification (and substituting
"damage" for "destroy"), the description does indeed suggest the old
Bouncing Bomb trials.

Correction: I had a quick look at the Channel 4 DVD overnight, which
showed the mine staying quite close to the surface - but the Lanc was
low enough that the initial splash knocked some bits off the tail
section.
Old June 24th 04, 09:31 PM
Richard Brooks

Robert Briggs wrote:
Robert Briggs wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:
Paul Housley wrote:

[...]

Hi Robert, I didn't notice that but it was an American aircraft that just
turned to flotsam after a second or two in the footage that wsa shown later
in the documentary.

It kind of reminds me of a short clip shown in (IIRC) an Australian
production called Broadcast which was about the last days of guys running
around with cine-cameras for the film theatre newsreels.

Right at the start is shows lots of news clips and one that stands out is of
three Beauforts doing a low fly-past over a bay and as they passed the ship
where the film was being made, one of hte Beauforts took a sharp climb,
tearing the tail of one of the others with them both crashing into the
water.

Amazing and I bet there are lots of bits of film we haven't seen. I also
wonder if anyone cine-filmed an airshow in Britain where a hurricane
accidentally fired into the crowd as it made a pass ?

Richard.