Twittering the US 18-Meter Nationals

Old July 9th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Default Twittering the US 18-Meter Nationals

According to the SSA webpage:

"Follow the 18 meter national soaring championships on Twitter

"There’s something new with the 2009 18 Meter National Soaring
Championships. We’re going to report on the contest, in real time, on
Twitter. As you may know, Twitter is the micro-blog site that allows for
short posts of up to 140 characters. As such, it does a great job of
communicating short bursts of information in real time.

"For the 18 Meter Nationals we hope to allow the soaring community to
follow the contest as it unfolds with information on launch times,
weather reports, tasks, scoring, maybe even some shout-outs from contest
participants. You’ll be able to track your fellow pilots as they take on
the challenge of one of the premier soaring contests in North America.

"To follow the contest, go to the following URL:
http://twitter.com/18mNationals"

I have been following the posts, and am not quite sure that they live up
to the advance billing. A sample:

"What is the task please?"

"Were there Lemon Squares last evening?"

"What is Wednesday's Task? What is the Task area general forecast?"

"The local farmers market this morning had lots of fresh cherries and
local vegies; one stand had fresh breads. Yum!"

"Anyone know what the Tues July 7th task is? Thanks."

My favorite:

"Ask Mike about Janice."

Doubtless that one is a lot more innocent than it sounds.
Old July 9th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

It's a beginning and more info than we usually get. Today’s info has
been much better than prior days. I've also been watching the area
web cams. Today may be a real test as areas of Overdevelopment
infringe upon the task areas.

http://www.seattleglidercouncil.org/...eb_cam408.shtm

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/aviation/WebCam/WebCamMapLg.htm

Paul
Scottsdale AZ
Old July 9th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jul 8, 5:06*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

I wonder why the lemon squares were thrown away? if they were brownies
instead I might not wonder...........

Brad