Daylight Savings Time (Was: American Airlines - Last one standing)

Old September 17th 05, 01:32 PM
Bob Noel

Default Daylight Savings Time (Was: American Airlines - Last one standing)

In article IWTWe.362735$xm3.182049@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Now, with farmers
representing far less than 1% of the population, to have darkness every
afternoon is just silly, unsafe, and expensive.

Unless you are a morning person. Also, pick your poison. Pitch black
in the morning when people are trying to get to work (struggling to
get to Starbucks for java) or pitch black when people commuting home,
tired from yet another day of paying taxes.

But, maybe this is a better reason for evening light: Flying after work.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old September 17th 05, 01:43 PM
Jay Honeck

Unless you are a morning person. Also, pick your poison. Pitch black
in the morning when people are trying to get to work (struggling to
get to Starbucks for java) or pitch black when people commuting home,
tired from yet another day of paying taxes.

Well, north of the Mason-Dixon line it's already pitch black in the morning
at drive-time, in December/January.

Shifting DST back for more evening light wouldn't change that. (Well,
okay -- it would make it darker for those who start work at 9 AM or later.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 17th 05, 07:22 PM
Montblack

("Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote)

rec.travel.air, rec.travel.usa-canada, rec.aviation.piloting,
misc.consumers, alt.disasters.aviation

I try to remove all but rec.aviation* groups from these threads - safer that
way, IMHO.

I'm a people person, I like people. I just don't trust, you know
....Outsiders. :-)

Montblack

Old October 1st 05, 09:17 PM
Frederick Bruckman

In article eV4Xe.127367$084.94268@attbi_s22,
"Jay Honeck" writes:
FWIW- I think DST is just silly. Like making a blanket longer by
cutting a foot off one end and sewing it on the other. Want more
daylight? Change the bloody schedule, and leave the clocks alone.
Saddens me to see my former state of Indiana rolling over after all
these years. And can anyone confirm the previous accounts about who
invented it? I always thought it was Ben Franklin, which seemed
awful strange for an otherwise sensible man.

Ben Franklin was a nut, but that's neither here nor there. He did
write an essay suggested fiddling clocks in the Summer. "Daylight
-saving time" was first put into U.S. law with the Standard Time Act
of 1917, but the daylight-saving part was repealed two years later.

Here's a sympathetic history of Daylight Saving Time:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html

and here an Indiana-centric view:

http://www2.indystar.com/library/fac.../history/time/

Good luck getting millions of Americans to change their schedules in
lock-step, in hopes of getting more daylight!

That would be like herding cats.

Well, that's what we're doing, but changing schedules in lock-step
doesn't save any daylight: the deception of Daylight Saving Time
causes me, for one, to have to go to work in the dark for most of
the month of October, and again in April. I really wish they would
just set the clocks two or three hours ahead all year round and be
done with it. [Sure they want only one hour to start with...] In
time, schools and business would simply start later and stay open
later, negating the effect.

Indiana's troubles aren't over. Indiana geographically belongs to
the Central Time zone. Some acceded to the recent change in return
for a promise to consider moving all of Indiana (back) to Central
Time, but it looks as if they're likely to be screwed:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont..._1n17time.html

--
Frederick