GE proposes to use artificial sink to generate 500 MW of power inSouthern AZ

Old October 28th 13, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default GE proposes to use artificial sink to generate 500 MW of power inSouthern AZ

http://www.industrytap.com/massive-e...tric-grid/3811

2250 foot high evaporative cooling towers to be used to generate power.

Old October 28th 13, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

A better article

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidfer...mexico-border/
Old October 28th 13, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The article says: "Water is sprayed into the opening, making the uppermost air humid and heavy."

But we all know humid air is less dense than dry air, otherwise there would be no clouds at the tops of thermals.

See:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/de...air-d_680.html

So, how does it really work? oh, and where do they get all that water in Southern Arizona?
Old October 28th 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

The usual media technical reporting errors not withstanding, it looks like they are creating a micro-burst here. The water spray is used to create evaporative cooling (hence, cooler, denser air mass)to drive, i assume, wind turbines at the base. Having flown through western virga before, I'd say it might be pretty effective.

Now, that giant sucking sound you hear from the US/Mexican border is not NAFTA anymore.
Old October 28th 13, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

At a projected cost of $1 billion, with an extra few million to run a salt water pipeline from Mexico, I am not expecting to see this built in Arizona in my lifetime!

Mike
Old October 28th 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The first article is a technically better where it shows the evaporative cooling creating the down draft, so that part has been explained.

It also says the water will be brought in from the Sea of Cortez 48 miles away. So what's the cost model for building a pipe line and pumping water 48 miles? substantially cheaper than a nuclear reactor, I guess. This project would seem to be significantly more expensive than regular wind turbines - not that we like those either.

Old October 29th 13, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

They said they'd pump "desalinated" water, so there's gonna be quite some
construction and energy expense on the intake end, as well.

And a nuclear reactor wouldn't be near as expensive, I'd wager, were it not
for the DOE. Remember, the government couldn't make a profit running a
whore house that also sold whiskey in Nevada, so why should we believe they
make a better nuclear plant?

Old October 29th 13, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Really? It can work 24-7? So, the atmosphere is always unstable and you can always create that downdraft? I guess if you pour enough water in there, there will be something coming out the bottom to run the turbines!

And, Dave. The pipeline is much cheaper. It is Mexican Money, so no US Funds used for that part of the project! :-)
Old November 17th 13, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

here's a follow up article with frequently asked questions answered (like how can moist air make for a downdraft)

Old November 17th 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

I bet desalinated water is more valuable in Arizona as
irrigation or domestic supply; unbelievable.
The downdraft tower would be the inverse of the
Australian 1km solar power tower; I have seenno news since 2011.
JMF