Tomcats gone by fall of 2006

Old June 16th 04, 08:03 PM
Mike Weeks

Default Tomcats gone by fall of 2006

This might be of some interest. Throw out all those other transition schedules
we've seen. g

start
DEFENSE DAILY 16 JUN 04

Tomcat Transition To Super Hornet Complete By Fall '06, Admiral Says

By Lorenzo Cortes

The Navy will successfully retire the remainder of its Northrop Grumman [NOC]
F-14 Tomcat fleet in fall 2006 thanks to an accelerated schedule that also
includes introducing Boeing [BA] F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fighter-bombers
earlier, according to the Atlantic Fleet's air forces chief.

"One of the things that we have been able to do as a result of some good
production with our industry partners with the success of the multiyear with
the E and F is we were able to look at and make a decision to accelerate the
transition of the last of the F-14 squadrons to the F/A-18E/F," Rear Adm. Jim
Zortman, commander of Naval Air Forces Atlantic, said last week during the
Association of Naval Aviation's 2004 convention in Vienna, Va. "That is taking
place right now,
and by fall of '06, we will have made that transition. ...
end

MW
Old June 17th 04, 04:12 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
This might be of some interest. Throw out all those other transition

schedules
we've seen. g

start
DEFENSE DAILY 16 JUN 04

Tomcat Transition To Super Hornet Complete By Fall '06, Admiral Says

By Lorenzo Cortes

The Navy will successfully retire the remainder of its Northrop Grumman

[NOC]
F-14 Tomcat fleet in fall 2006 thanks to an accelerated schedule that also
includes introducing Boeing [BA] F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fighter-bombers
earlier, according to the Atlantic Fleet's air forces chief.

MW

How does the range of the F-18 E/F compare with the F-14 Bombcat, with both
carrying equivalent attack loads? Afghanistan is a good example of why the
Navy needs a dedicated medium range attack aircraft. I imagine the phrase
"Wish we still had a few A-6's" was heard more than once in discussions on
Naval air planning regarding Afghanistan.....

Old June 17th 04, 01:11 PM
John Carrier

From what I understand the F/A-18E/F has slightly less range than the
Tomcat, but (with ATFLIR and the HMCS) is a much more capable Strike
Fighter... not to mention its much better maintenance numbers and radar.

Kinda sad, 30 years design progress and we get an airframe that can't exceed
.... or even match ... the Turkey's performance (except at high alfa ... big
whoop!). Wouldn't have been a big deal to retrofit advanced WCS/Radar
capability. Of course the maintainability could not have been solved
without a clean sheet of paper redesign (pretty much what the E/F is
compared to the original Bug anyway).

R / John

Old June 17th 04, 01:32 PM
nafod40

John Carrier wrote:
Kinda sad, 30 years design progress and we get an airframe that can't exceed
... or even match ... the Turkey's performance (except at high alfa ... big
whoop!). Wouldn't have been a big deal to retrofit advanced WCS/Radar
capability. Of course the maintainability could not have been solved
without a clean sheet of paper redesign (pretty much what the E/F is
compared to the original Bug anyway).

Yea, the "-ilities" are where a HUGE percentage of the costs accrue with
a weapons system. Huge. Guys who talk with their hands want it all of
course, but as soon as you start calculating dollars-per-kill, you have
to move away from the old airframes. Have to.

Old June 17th 04, 01:46 PM
Allen Epps

In article , John Carrier
wrote:

From what I understand the F/A-18E/F has slightly less range than the
Tomcat, but (with ATFLIR and the HMCS) is a much more capable Strike
Fighter... not to mention its much better maintenance numbers and radar.

Kinda sad, 30 years design progress and we get an airframe that can't exceed
... or even match ... the Turkey's performance (except at high alfa ... big
whoop!). Wouldn't have been a big deal to retrofit advanced WCS/Radar
capability. Of course the maintainability could not have been solved
without a clean sheet of paper redesign (pretty much what the E/F is
compared to the original Bug anyway).

R / John

The D is an incredible airplane the way it is but the "good stuff" like
upgrades to radar and such aren't what's killing it as much as a lack
of spares of the little stuff like valves, relays and widgets. This
lack of spares results in a high cannibalization rate that then results
in an obscene maint man-hour per flight hour ratio. I also understand
that there's some core fatigue issues that can't be overcome by simply
rewinging like the Prowler and Intruder went through (or are going
through with the Prowler) It all comes down to money. Not the best
capability but the best capability for the dollar and a "good enough"
capability to bridge to something better. Not what all of us wearing
gold wings want but fiscal reality.
My DS cruise was with CAG-8. A tremendous airwing of 24 Tomcats, 24
Hornets, 16 A-6's (no KA's) a bunch of S-3's, 5 Prowlers, 5 E-2's and
H-3¹s but I have to admit that for what they're doing now an E/F
airwing seems more effective. Times change. I mourned the loss of the
Intruder (and death of the A-6F) as much as anyone but that facet war
fighting has changed. Fortunately the continued need for brave crews
and dedicated maintenance troops keeps us connected with our past.

Pugs
Old June 17th 04, 02:59 PM
Pechs1

kboatright- How does the range of the F-18 E/F compare with the F-14 Bombcat,
with both
carrying equivalent attack loads? BRBR

Good point but the answer isn't the F-14D. NAVAIR missed the 'boat' in the 80s,
when everything was being upgraded, new models introduced while the F-14
languished. It 'should' have been the USN version of the F-15E, the 'strike
Turkey' but wasn't, isn't.

The F-14D was a compromise from day 1, and it pales in comparison to some of
the other modern aircraft, many of which were much older, like the F-15E.

It needs to go. Upgrading the F-14 is just not possible today.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old June 17th 04, 03:05 PM
Pechs1

gaepps- The D is an incredible airplane the way it is but the "good stuff"
like
upgrades to radar and such aren't what's killing it as much as a lack
of spares of the little stuff like valves, relays and widgets. BRBR

Incredible compared to the F-14A, but here in 2004, it is miles behind other
aircraft of the day, both US and 'other'.

Like I have said, it should have been the F-14E, back in the 80's when Reagan
$$ was a flowin'. It languished, became stale. The 'D' is better but a
compromise from day one. When at VX-4, in the late
80's, I saw the 'D' at VX-4, also saw a brief about the F-15E. Embarassing when
you compare the two.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old June 17th 04, 08:40 PM
John Carrier

"Pechs1" wrote in message
kboatright- How does the range of the F-18 E/F compare with the F-14

Bombcat,
with both
carrying equivalent attack loads? BRBR

Good point but the answer isn't the F-14D. NAVAIR missed the 'boat' in the

80s,
when everything was being upgraded, new models introduced while the F-14
languished. It 'should' have been the USN version of the F-15E, the

'strike
Turkey' but wasn't, isn't.

The F-14D was a compromise from day 1, and it pales in comparison to some

of
the other modern aircraft, many of which were much older, like the F-15E.

It needs to go. Upgrading the F-14 is just not possible today.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Agreed. And the previous post hit it on the nail's head, logistics support
for the airframe is a nightmare.

I always found it odd how little was done to upgrade the Turkey when
compared with many previous and contemporary designs. Strike Tom ala F-15E
back in the mid-80's was the answer. Unfortunately nobody of significance
bothered to ask the question.

R / John