Scaled Composites/Rutan -- Tier One attempt on 12/17 or 12/18

Old December 15th 03, 05:22 PM
Rob Cherney

Default Scaled Composites/Rutan -- Tier One attempt on 12/17 or 12/18

I have heard that Scaled Composites will be attempting a powered
flight of their Space Ship One craft on Wednesday or Thrusday. Does
anyone know any more than this?

Rob-
Robert Cherney e-mail: cherney(at)comcast(dot)net
Old December 16th 03, 06:14 AM
Thaddeus Beier

Rob Cherney wrote:

I have heard that Scaled Composites will be attempting a powered
flight of their Space Ship One craft on Wednesday or Thrusday. Does
anyone know any more than this?

Rob-
Robert Cherney e-mail: cherney(at)comcast(dot)net

Scaled's web site says that there is no attempt scheduled, and if there
was they wouldn't talk about it. They seem a trifle peeved.

I'd be really surprised if they tried to fly under power with so few
glide tests behind them. But of course, there could be a lot going on
that I don't know about.

I can't believe that Burt, and his financial backer, would compromise
safety and all the hard work they've put into their project for a little
think like the Centennial.

thad
Old December 16th 03, 07:45 AM
Big John

Robert

Would make a nice tie in to the 100 years of power flight since the
Wrights. Both flights would be stepping stones and were increased with
practice and guts. Now if they have enough confidence and go ahead and
punch on up, would really make a tale for all time but 20-30K would be
an altitudes to test most of the functions except for the thruster
system.Will keep watching in case it goes.

Big John

Old December 16th 03, 06:49 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

Rob Cherney wrote in message . ..
I have heard that Scaled Composites will be attempting a powered
flight of their Space Ship One craft on Wednesday or Thrusday. Does
anyone know any more than this?

Rob-
Robert Cherney e-mail: cherney(at)comcast(dot)net

I doubt they will attempt to fly. Both Burt and Dick are scheduled to
be at Oshkosh on tomorrow (the 17th) to speak. The aerodynamic
changes they had to make to the glider set them back a bit.

Rick Pellicciotti
Say "NO!" to NPRM 4521 - Closing January 20th, 2004
http://www.belleairetours.com
Old December 17th 03, 08:55 PM
Rob Cherney

wrote:

I have heard that Scaled Composites will be attempting a powered
flight of their Space Ship One craft on Wednesday or Thrusday.

A powered flight of SpaceShip One occurred today. Damn, my sources
are good!

See:

http://www.scaled.com/news/news.htm

Old December 17th 03, 11:07 PM
Big John

What we were talking about. Short powered flight like the Wrights
first small step.

Hasn't made the Talking Head News here yet in Houston.

Best of luck to them.

Big John

Old December 18th 03, 12:58 AM
Dave Hyde

Rob Cherney wrote:

A powered flight of SpaceShip One occurred today.

Oh, that is freakin' awesome! Thanks for the link.

Dave 'wannabe' Hyde

Old December 18th 03, 05:29 AM
R. Hubbell

wrote:

I have heard that Scaled Composites will be attempting a powered
flight of their Space Ship One craft on Wednesday or Thrusday.

A powered flight of SpaceShip One occurred today. Damn, my sources
are good!

See:

http://www.scaled.com/news/news.htm

That's progress and innovatin for ya!
And fun! Look at the smiles on those faces!

This is powerful stuff:

"...
I strongly feel that, if we are successful, our program will mark the beginning
of a renaissance for manned space flight. This might even be similar to that
wonderful time period between 1908 and 1912 when the world went from a total of
ten airplane pilots to hundreds of airplane types and thousands of pilots in 39
countries. We need affordable space travel to inspire our youth, to let them
know that they can experience their dreams, can set significant goals and be in
a position to lead all of us to future progress in exploration, discovery and
fun."

Burt Rutan

Nice shot of SpaceshipOne after separation from WK:

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...0/moon_800.jpg

R. Hubbell