Finding Francis Rogallo

Old December 18th 03, 08:01 AM
Holger Stephan

Default Finding Francis Rogallo

Does any of you guys know where to find and contact Francis Rogallo?

Thanks!

Holger
Old December 18th 03, 11:52 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Holger Stephan says...

Does any of you guys know where to find and contact Francis Rogallo?

Thanks!

Holger

He and Gertrude are still living in Kitty Hawk ,I talked to him about a year ago
.. He's pretty old and his mempry is dimming a bit but he still remembered me
getting letters from Poland translated for him. I'll see if I can dig up his
phone number.

See ya

Chuck S

Old December 18th 03, 01:47 PM
Daniel

Holger Stephan wrote ...
Does any of you guys know where to find and contact Francis Rogallo?

Francis M Rogallo
61 Osprey Ln
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949-3839
252-261-2293

Given that Mr. Rogallo was born when both of the Wright brothers were
still flying (1912), you may wish to contact him through John Harris
at:

The Rogallo Foundation / Kitty Hawk Kites
P. O. Box 1839
Nags Head, North Carolina 27959-1839
252-441-4124

Daniel
Old December 18th 03, 04:47 PM
Holger Stephan

Daniel wrote:
Francis M Rogallo
[...]

Thank you Daniel, and Chuck too!

Given that Mr. Rogallo was born when both of the Wright
Bothers were still flying (1912), you may wish to contact
him through John Harris

He is 91, IIRC.

- Holger
Old December 19th 03, 03:52 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Daniel says...

Francis M Rogallo
61 Osprey Ln
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949-3839
252-261-2293

Given that Mr. Rogallo was born when both of the Wright brothers were
still flying (1912), you may wish to contact him through John Harris
at:

The Rogallo Foundation / Kitty Hawk Kites
P. O. Box 1839
Nags Head, North Carolina 27959-1839
252-441-4124

That's the same phone # I have but I have 91 Osprey Ln and my zip info is also
slightly different I have 27959 . I don't know which one ic correct but I'm
sure that as well known as Rog is it will get to him.

If you talk to John Harris at Kitty Hawk Kites tell John I said Hi. Good luck

Chuck S

Old December 19th 03, 05:36 AM
Wright1902Glider

Chuck,

The company that you keep continues to amaze me. Thanks for the info. I think
I'll forward the photo of my bamboo wonder-ship just for the fun of it.

Constantly in awe,
Harry Frey

PS: Did you make it to KH this week?
Old December 19th 03, 11:55 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Wright1902Glider
says...

Chuck,

The company that you keep continues to amaze me. Thanks for the info. I think
I'll forward the photo of my bamboo wonder-ship just for the fun of it.

Constantly in awe,
Harry Frey

PS: Did you make it to KH this week?

I met Rog at the First Tactile Hang Glider meet in KH back in 1972 .I had only
read of him in NASA articles when I was working for NASA. I first met a lot of
guys who were the who's who of hang gliding that week. Rog was playing with a
rogallo shaped parachute one day and I ended up being one of the guys on a
tether rope while he tried to soar on the slope. Now we have workable para
sails.Rog was and still is a great guy and took great delight one night in
telling a group of hang glider pilots at a bar that he was half Polish. This was
after they had been beating me up with Polish jokes. After he said that ,which
is true by the way, nary a Polack joke heard the rest of the week :-) A fact
which I threw in their faces from time to time .Something like "if it weren't
for a Polack you'd be walking not flying" LOL!!! For years I would get a letter
or 2 a year from Rog to get translated for him .It was a priviledge and honor to
do so.

John harris started a small hang glider shop when the currant Mall area was a
strip of sand with his little shop on it. Then every year when I came back it
got bigger and bigger. I have some photos of myself John and a couple of friends
that were taken at a W Virginia Hang Glider contest back in I think 73 or
74.Between John and his friend and me and my friend we won all the awards for
flying that week end.:-)I saw John at SnF a couple years ago ,he had a booth
across from mine .So we spent time talking about the olde days :-)

I wish I could have but I 'm just too busy to have been able to have taken the
time off. My brother lives in Norfolk and I could have stayed there .He retired
from the USAF and works at Langly in the wind tunnel,something I did for a year
and a half at Lewis in Cleveland.

Merry Christmas

Chuck

Old December 20th 03, 03:02 AM
Skyking

Holger Stephan wrote in message ...
Does any of you guys know where to find and contact Francis Rogallo?

Thanks!

Holger

Try this:

http://www.kittyhawk.com/rogallo

Good luck,

Skyking
Old December 20th 03, 04:01 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Skyking says...

http://www.kittyhawk.com/rogallo

Good luck,

Skyking

Thanks for the web address I just joined the Foundation.
Thanks

See ya
Chuck S

Old December 20th 03, 06:40 PM
Wright1902Glider

Chuck,

Rosemary and I managed to squeeze in on Friday night and were there 30 minutes
before the gate opened on Sat. Had a chance to see all of the temp. exhibits.
Most of the Wright Brothers stuff was old news, as I've been following its
evolution for 7 years now. But the old museum got cleaned up very well, and
they finally put the left 1903 prop and the original engine block back on
display. It was very interesting to see them.

On the walk back from the bus stop to the hotel, we had a chance to see a pair
of HG's. They were working the ridge lift off the beach side of the Ramada Inn
and then sliding back over to the "hump" on the south side of the John Yancey.
Very impressive. Sorry you didn't get to make it. I'll send ya a few pics as
soon as I can get mine developed.

Merry Christmas,
Harry

PS: Two Polack pilots were trying to land an airliner at a new field. On the
first approach, they touched down on the edge of the runway, but soon ran out
of asphalt and had to go around. On the second attempt, the co-pilot stood on
the brakes, but again, the plane ran out of runway, and the pilot had to go
around again. On the third attempt, the co-pilot again stood on the brakes,
while the pilot applied full- reverse thrust. Amid a cloud of tire smoke and
screaming engines, the plane slid to a halt just before running off the runway.
The pilot turned to the co-pilot and said, "Man, that's the shortest runway
I've ever landed on." The co-pilot replied, "Yeah, but did you notice how damn
wide they made it... s'gotta be 2 friggin' miles!"