Bill Gates assists in funding first aviation-themed public high school

Old February 12th 04, 10:41 PM
John T Lowry

I just wish he had finished Harvard and had gotten a good education. Then
maybe his software would work better....

John.

--
John T Lowry, PhD
Flight Physics

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
I've always suggested what I believe to be the perfect solution for people
who don't like Bill, don't like Microsoft, or don't like their products

... Don't use them.

In my eyes, Bill Gates is a modern day hero, not the bad guy. A CREATOR of
values, not a destroyer as seem so many in this world (not aimed at

original
poster).

Old February 12th 04, 11:21 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Microsoft wouldn't be a problem if they weren't a combination of the most
evil, dishonest and illegal monopolists on the planet, AND the worst
programmers.

Quite...their "monopoly" should be one granted by the government, like the
public utilities, not the market. How illegal can you get?

Old February 12th 04, 11:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

ET wrote:

Of course we all know that if, say Netscape was used by 90%+ of all the
users out there, all the security explotes/viruses etc would be written for
those applications....

At one time, Netscape was. Didn't happen then.....

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 13th 04, 12:54 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:41:59 GMT, "John T Lowry"
wrote in Message-Id:
et:

I just wish he had finished Harvard and had gotten a good education. Then
maybe his software would work better....

From what I've heard, all he did in university was fleece his friends
by constantly insisting on playing Poker. For Mr. Gates, it appears
that money is more important than education or moral integrity.

Old February 13th 04, 01:36 AM
Bob Noel

In article ne.com,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

ET wrote:

Of course we all know that if, say Netscape was used by 90%+ of all the
users out there, all the security explotes/viruses etc would be written
for those applications....

Presuming that Netscape (or whomever) didn't break some basic principles
of
software engineering (ie. shoving a widely diverse set of features into a
single monolithic component), it's a good bet that there'd be fewer bugs
and that those would be more quickly fixed.

~200 days for the fix for the ASN.1 issue? That may be a new record.

didn't you hear? ms claims the bug isn't the problem, the
patch is the problem.

--
Bob Noel
Old February 13th 04, 03:23 AM
C J Campbell

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
| In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
| Billy is redeeming himself in my eyes after foisting his insecure OS
| (and Outlook) on us:
|
| He's only doing it to sell more copies of MS Flight Simulator.

It is interesting how, once you decide that someone is evil, that it is
possible to attribute an evil motive to every single thing that person does.

Old February 13th 04, 05:22 AM
Cockpit Colin

Microsoft wouldn't be a problem if they weren't a combination of the most
evil, dishonest and illegal monopolists on the planet, AND the worst
programmers.

I think it's time for a reality check there buddy.

Old February 13th 04, 03:34 PM
Andrew Gideon

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Quite...their "monopoly" should be one granted by the government, like the
public utilities, not the market. How illegal can you get?

The problem isn't the monopoly, but the abuse of the monopoly. But I know
that this point isn't clearly made in the generic press (I doubt most
reporters grasp the distinction).

- Andrew

Old February 16th 04, 12:16 AM
CriticalMass

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Presuming that Netscape (or whomever) didn't bundle their product with the
monopolistic OS in a way that eliminates competition, along with contracts
that discouraged OEMs from using alternative OSes, then it wouldn't be
likely that any single product would achieve 90% reach anyway.

See, this kind of crap is what passes for "information".

OK. So you have an opinion about MS. Wonderful. An opinion is like an
asshole. We've all got 'em. But that doesn't make you special.

MS "bundles their product with the monopolistic OS"? Bull****. If
there's any obstacle out there preventing ANYONE from doing precisely
what Bill Gates has accomplished, providing THE WORLD with a PC-based
operating system THAT WORKS better than anything else out there (you
wanna' challenge the consumer usage numbers?), state what that obstacle
is NOW, before any more of your baseless charges that MS is
monopolistic. It's not a "monopoly" - he built a better mousetrap-
what's your problem with that? We can do that in this country - it's
fair, and it's legal. Get over it.

I prefer Netscape as a browser, and NOTHING in the Windows operating
system does any "eliminating", or in any other way, precludes my use of
a non-MS product.

C'mon. Get a life.

You gotta' problem with Microsoft? Fine. That's your privilege. But
lose all the diatribe about how Gates and MS are getting in your way of
doing what you want. It ain't happening. You're hallucinating.

Old February 16th 04, 01:48 AM
Andrew Gideon

CriticalMass wrote:

MS "bundles their product with the monopolistic OS"? Bull****.

You write like this, and accuse others of misinformation or hallucination?
Or do you claim to know better than US Federal and EU governments?

If
there's any obstacle out there preventing ANYONE from doing precisely
what Bill Gates has accomplished, providing THE WORLD with a PC-based
operating system THAT WORKS better than anything else out there (you
wanna' challenge the consumer usage numbers?), state what that obstacle
is NOW, before any more of your baseless charges that MS is
monopolistic. It's not a "monopoly" - he built a better mousetrap-
what's your problem with that? We can do that in this country - it's
fair, and it's legal. Get over it.

Oh, please. You don't know how IBM handed MSFT a monopoly? Where've you
been?

Anyway, even if you were correct in your assertion that MSFT achieved its
monopoly through reasonable and legal means, that does nothing about the
assertion that they've abused said monopoly.

Or does this distinction still escape you?

- Andrew