PowerFLARM firmware v3.00 released (feature complete)

Old May 9th 13, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM

Default PowerFLARM firmware v3.00 released (feature complete)

This release is feature complete and includes IGC approved recording, update of remote display, Garmin TIS output and various performance enhancements.
The firmware is the same for both Portable and Core (new name for 'Brick') and is strongly recommended for all units.
For update file and release notes, please go to http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/

While there, please also take your time to register your device to receive important announcements.

Stand by for information on how to purchase the ENL (Engine Noise Level) feature.
Old May 9th 13, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

It's April 38th in Switzerland already?

Mike

Seriously - that's great news!
Old May 9th 13, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM

On Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:44:50 PM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
It's April 38th in Switzerland already?

Mike

Seriously - that's great news!

It has been out a while, as release candidate.
Old May 9th 13, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

The release notes state "All US PowerFLARM are automatically licensed for:
* IGC approval (IGC)
* Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB)

Will you please confirm that all US PowerFLARM are automatically licensed for Garmin TIS. I have used this feature and wish to continue to use it.

thanks

Andy
Old May 10th 13, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

I just upgraded my POWERFlarm software to ver. 3.0 on my PF core (brick) and then my 57mm Butterfly display to ver. 3.1 through the PF. The positive is that both worked. The negative would fill volumes. My only comment is for the product guys; we can’t read your minds! Spell it out when writing installation instructions.

from PF 3.0 notes:
Firmware, licence and/or obstacle database update on Co
– Copy relevant file(s) (xxx.FW, yyy.LIC, zzz.OB2) to USB stick.
– Connect stick to Core.
– Switch on system.
– Verify status LED flashes RED/GREEN.
– Wait until LED turns solid GREEN (or RED in case of no GPS reception).

Seems simple enough.

First. I downloaded the PF zip file to my computer and extracted it. I copied only the xxx5648.fw file to a new 16 GB memory stick. Stuck the stick in my core and powered up. Nothing. The core light went from orange to green. No green/red upload indicators. I powered down and detached my 57mm Butterfly display. I had issues last time upgrading my PF software and the attached display caused the problem. Inserted stick, powered up... nada. Redid everything from scratch. Nothing. Ok, getting ****ed. Took out an old 256 MB memory stick, copied the files to it, and IT WORKED. The difference besides memory size? The first memory stick was formatted to NTFS and the second was FAT32. I’ve looked around to see if there are any issues stated about the USB memory format or stick size. I didn’t find any. Now, since most of us are not tech geeks, this issue should be one of the line items in the installation instructions!

Second, the upload only worked with the 57mm BF display disconnected (another line item to add to the installation instructions).

Third, after the installation, I inspected the memory stick and the core had downloaded a FLARMcfg file on it. I checked it out to see the data with the new range limits. Interesting.

Fourth. Time for the Butterfly software upgrade. I went to the Butterfly website, Butterfly Avionics, and looked under their Support tab.

From the Butterfly display manual:
Butterfly firmware/FlarmNET update on Co
1. Copy Butterfly firmware (.bfw) and/or flarmnet (.bfn) to a USB stick.
2. Connect stick to Core.
3. Switch on system with BF display knob pressed.
4. Verify BF display goes into UPDATE MODE with 'WAITING', then 'LOADING'.
5. Wait until BF display restarts (can take up to two minutes).

Three options under BF display.
Firmware version 3.1 / Update file for POWERFlarm / Changelog 3.1
Now it seems pretty obvious to use the Update file for POWERFlarm. Click on it and you get a text file. I was not expecting the .bfw to be a txt file, but anyway, I tried saving it and my browser wants to save the link. Butterfly, why not have the file download and properly save on our computer as a .bfw file (zip file at least) when we click it? Hmmm. For those interested, here is the link ( http://www.butterfly.aero/support/bfd_3_1.bfw ) I do a “save as” through my browser and get the file properly saved as a .bfw file. I copied the file on my memory stick. Following the above instructions, the file loads properly in a minute or two.

Lastly, remembering the cfg file I saw, I decided to upload a new one with my current information including my .igc file info. Go here if you want it done for you. http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/to...ore_config.php Upload as per the PF manual.

All in all, a fairly simple process if properly instructed. It baffles me why these instructions aren’t done in a very detailed step by step method (go there, do this) with precise wording instead of tossing out a couple of steps and letting the customer figure out details that you assume we know. Remember, most of us are NOT engineers or tech geeks and have no desire to be one. Spend the extra 30 minutes and write it properly!
Old May 10th 13, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Craig,

thanks for your feedback. I'll make sure a note about USB sticks goes
into the manual. FWIW, about 95% of sticks we tested with work, many
of the remaining 5% being 'USB 3' sticks.

Forwarding your message to Butterfly as well.

Best
--Gerhard
Old May 10th 13, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Will you please confirm that all US PowerFLARM are automatically licensed for Garmin TIS. I have used this feature and wish to continue to use it.

Yes, they are. The note on the website is incomplete.

Best
--Gerhard
Old May 10th 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

thanks for your feedback. I'll make sure a note about USB sticks goes
into the manual. FWIW, about 95% of sticks we tested with work, many
of the remaining 5% being 'USB 3' sticks.

--Gerhard

Gerhard, This precisely makes my point. If there are approximately 5% failures in the upgrade process from not using a proper USB stick, then the instructions / manual should state what exact stick to use.
Example only (I don't have a clue what the actual specific hardware minimums are):
Portable USB memory for use with POWERFlarm
-2.0 compatibility only
-formatted only FAT or FAT32
-size no larger than xxx MB/GB

Leaving the information generic and incomplete makes for some upgrade failures and lots of frustration for customers that didn't have to happen. This extends beyond software upgrades to hardware installation. Why not eliminate the failures by being detailed on what will work and how to do it? Your customer will appreciate it! Regards, Craig
Old May 10th 13, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:50:23 PM UTC-6, Craig R. wrote:
[...]

From the Butterfly display manual:

[...]

Thanks for all of your help on this! It will help many other folks in loading up the new FW. One question on this statement you made....

"Lastly, remembering the cfg file I saw, I decided to upload a new one with my current information including my .igc file info. Go here if you want it done for you. http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/to...ore_config.php Upload as per the PF manual."

Is the cfg file required in order to successfully load the 3.0 FW or is it optional?

Thanks again for all of your help and taking the time to write up this procedure.
Renny
Old May 10th 13, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Is the cfg file required in order to successfully load the 3.0 FW or is it optional?

Renny

Nope. Uploaded PF 3.0 with the (real) old cfg file on the core. I did the new cfg file after both upgrades were completed. Haven't flown yet, but I'm comfortable all will be ok.

Craig