Signing off

Old March 9th 05, 04:34 AM
Greybeard

Default Signing off

Probably permanently, SBC jacked the monthly up from $29 to $49, my
usage is declining to almost zero. Tied to the house, can't be gone
more than an hour at a time, and that's stretching it. If my
daughters trach plugs, I've got a very short time to either clear it
or get her to the hospital.

No loss, my email has been particularly dead, maybe one in two weeks
now. Doesn't matter, finding that my airport "friends" are
"aquaintances".

No other reliable service available here, SBC doesn't want to spend
any money to upgrade the phone lines and equipment, and dial up is
totally unreliable. Basically, we have a 1950's phone service, but
not as good.

Don't bother answering, in ten minutes now, the modem will be removed
and in the trash, I traded the compuker for a couple of HO scale brass
locomotives. I have others, but they don't have modems, and will
never be subjected to on line virus if I can help it.

Greybeard/Lennie the Lurker.
Old March 9th 05, 09:13 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Greybeard wrote:

[...]

Mozilla is free at Mozilla.org.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 9th 05, 11:37 AM
Scott

Mozilla offers just a browser, don't they? He would still need at least
a dial up ISP. If he lives in a small town, there may not be any of the
free dial up (non long distance) providers such as Net Zero, etc.

Scott

Old March 9th 05, 02:27 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Scott wrote:

If he lives in a small town, there may not be any of the
free dial up (non long distance) providers such as Net Zero, etc.

NetZero/Juno hasn't been free for many years now...
Old March 11th 05, 12:46 PM
Scott

Hmmm...I though Net Zero still had a free service if you don't mind all
the pop up ads. I stand corrected. The next best thing one can hope
for is to live near a college campus or someplace that has non-password
protected wireless access points and have a wireless card in the computer...

Scott

Old March 11th 05, 04:02 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Scott wrote:

Hmmm...I though Net Zero still had a free service if you don't mind all
the pop up ads. I stand corrected. The next best thing one can hope
for is to live near a college campus or someplace that has non-password
protected wireless access points and have a wireless card in the
computer...

Theft of service, why I never... G
Old March 12th 05, 03:39 AM
Frank

I am currently on Juno for free and a crappy dial up out in the country. 10
hrs a month. Netzero is the same.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old March 14th 05, 03:05 AM
Scott

Negative! If a college or library (or anybody for that matter) is using
wireless access points and they aren't using encryption, any good lawyer
should probably be able to prove implied consent...

Well, I'd take it as IMPLIED CONSENT

Scott