Cherokee down at ERI, 3 fatalities

Old August 14th 05, 04:12 AM
James Robinson

Default Cherokee down at ERI, 3 fatalities

News reports a Cherokee crashed just short of the runway at Erie, PA around
21:30. Aircraft resting upside down, and 3 of the 4 on board fatal. 4th
reportedly had extensive burns, and transported by helicopter to hospital.

Aircraft and passengers reportedly from Delaware. They had stopped in
Jamestown, NY, for fuel, but the FBO was closed(?) so flew on to Erie.
Old August 14th 05, 01:59 PM
Matt Whiting

James Robinson wrote:

News reports a Cherokee crashed just short of the runway at Erie, PA around
21:30. Aircraft resting upside down, and 3 of the 4 on board fatal. 4th
reportedly had extensive burns, and transported by helicopter to hospital.

Aircraft and passengers reportedly from Delaware. They had stopped in
Jamestown, NY, for fuel, but the FBO was closed(?) so flew on to Erie.

What is this recent obsession with posting every airplane accident all
about?

Matt
Old August 14th 05, 03:05 PM
James Robinson

Matt Whiting wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

News reports a Cherokee crashed just short of the runway at Erie, PA
around 21:30. Aircraft resting upside down, and 3 of the 4 on board
fatal. 4th reportedly had extensive burns, and transported by
helicopter to hospital.

Aircraft and passengers reportedly from Delaware. They had stopped in
Jamestown, NY, for fuel, but the FBO was closed(?) so flew on to
Erie.

What is this recent obsession with posting every airplane accident all
about?

I missed one from last night: Four killed in crash while approaching
Denver's Centennial airport. That's the fourth fatal accident at that
airport since December.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2941816

As to why they get posted, perhaps because of a sense of "There for the
grace of God go I"; perhaps because aviation is made up of a small
fraternity, and people often know those involved; perhaps because there
are lessons to be learned - in the case of the ERI accident, it appears
the pilot took a chance and ran out of fuel on a 50 mile flight; perhaps
it is simply morbid curiosity.

Overall, I hope that we never get inured to aviation accidents the way
we have to automobile accidents where something like 100 people a day
are killed on highways, and they are a footnote on back pages of
newspapers.
Old August 14th 05, 07:03 PM
Matt Whiting

James Robinson wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

[...]

Yes, but this seemed to start fairly recently.

Overall, I hope that we never get inured to aviation accidents the way
we have to automobile accidents where something like 100 people a day
are killed on highways, and they are a footnote on back pages of
newspapers.

Me also, but having folks like you posting every crash will help get us
to that state.

Matt
Old August 14th 05, 09:44 PM
Judah

Some of us don't mind the bandwidth, and would otherwise have not heard
about them...
Old August 15th 05, 02:58 AM
George Patterson

Judah wrote:
Some of us don't mind the bandwidth, and would otherwise have not heard
about them...

Not hearing about them is fine with me.

George Patterson
Old August 15th 05, 10:09 AM
Bas

George Patterson wrote:

Judah wrote:
Some of us don't mind the bandwidth, and would otherwise have not heard
about them...

Not hearing about them is fine with me.

Although I can understand that attitude, I actually do want to hear about
them. You see, we learn by our mistakes. But since I cannot make all the
mistakes, and since there are lethal mistakes, reading about accidents and
about what made them happen, is enhancing my own experience, without me
being killed or otherwise engaged in frightening situations.
Old August 15th 05, 07:19 PM
George Patterson

Bas wrote:

Although I can understand that attitude, I actually do want to hear about
them. You see, we learn by our mistakes. But since I cannot make all the
mistakes, and since there are lethal mistakes, reading about accidents and
about what made them happen, is enhancing my own experience, without me
being killed or otherwise engaged in frightening situations.

Then people should be posting about accidents that happened quite some time ago,
not about current ones. You won't learn a thing here from the usual speculation
on what caused a recent crash.

George Patterson
Old August 15th 05, 09:49 PM
Ron Lee

George Patterson wrote:

Then people should be posting about accidents that happened quite some time ago,
not about current ones. You won't learn a thing here from the usual speculation
on what caused a recent crash.

Frankly it is easy to come up with a plausible (and likely correct)
analysis of the cause of some crashes. Two examples are the JFK JR
crash and the recent Toronto crash.

Reviewing accident results won't help some people who are just
accidents waiting to happen...either due to excessive bravado or lack
of common sense.

Ron Lee
Old August 15th 05, 09:57 PM
Longworth

George,

I myself find postings of recent accidents helpful. It is a good
reminder or warning flag especially for weather-related accidents be it
icing, fog, high-density altitude etc.

We flew over western PA on our last three trips to MI. I can
certainly relate to one recent accident where the pilot encountered
unexpected IMC condition when the nearby ATIS reported VMC. This
particular accident reminds me of the fact that going West, one may
encounter strong headwind. If something unexpected happens, one could
easily mismanage the fuel situation. In our second trip to Michigan,
we had to stop earlier because of a broken alternator wire. We fueled
earlier than planned. The stronger than expected headwind cost us some
extra time. I kept watching the fuel gauge and urged Rick to land but
he wanted to get out of the busy B/C airspaces first. By the time we
stopped for fuel, we had about 40minutes of fuel left. We were
certainly within the legal limit (30 minutes in VFR day time) but it
was not a comfortable feeling. After the trip, we agreed than we would
try to monitor the fuel more closely and whoever more conservative
would win (only in flying not in politics ;-)).

We attend Wings Safety Seminar quite regularly. Before each
meeting, Bob Martens (Windsor Locks) always give a brief review of
local accidents. We learned quite a bit about the hazards associated
with certain airports in certain weather conditions such as very
localized low ceilings and fog in coastal airports. I do read NTSB
reports but it is not something that I read everyday. We will be
flying to Denver this weekend and will most likely land at Centennial
airport. So a plane crash at that airport is of interest to me. We
may not know the cause of the crash for many months but reading such
accidents helped me to be more cautious in our planning.

Hai Longworth