B-52/Harpoon

Old October 13th 03, 01:18 AM
Jim Baker

Pop quiz: When (date) was the first Harpoon launched off a B-52? ;-)

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Just wondering, how were B-52G bombers supposed to find targets in
anti-ship strikes? Were they to use their own sensors or depend on
offboard targeting?

Just like the H model when it picked up the mission, the G model was going

work with naval assets that had the ability to classify vessels (we

usually
worked with S-3s). The BUFF does have an ability (particularly over water)

use its radar to find ships, but no way of knowing if its a Kashin Class
destroyer or the Love Boat.

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

Old October 13th 03, 02:16 AM
BUFDRVR

Pop quiz: When (date) was the first Harpoon launched off a B-52? ;-)

Sounds like someone can use their log book to answer this

I'd be happy to get the year right....I'll say 1983 and for the hell of it, 15
April 1983???

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old October 13th 03, 02:50 AM
Jim Baker

ROFL!! No fair, you must know. It was about 1430 on 16 Mar 83. Excellent
guess! :-))

We hit the target, a destroyer full of styrofoam (or so we were told), dead
center from 52 miles. Lots of fun. During the time our crew was tasked
with Harpoon testing (along with another Mather crew and one BAD crew) we
tested the new BLUTE weapon retard system at EDW. The first drop was done
by our crew on that one too. First drop....not successful. Only about 10
out of, hmmm 48 (is that a full load BD?) worked.

Regards,

JB

Old October 13th 03, 03:17 AM
Jim Thomas

When I was TDY to Eglin in 1976 testing AIM-7s on F-15s, there was a
B-52 crew testing some air-to-water missile. I'm thinking it was a
Harpoon, but it must not have been. Do you know what it was? IIRC, the
target was much like you describe on your test.

Jim Thomas

Old October 13th 03, 10:48 AM
Greg Hennessy

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:25:20 -0500, Alan Minyard
wrote:

Well, blowing up either one would count as a service to humanity :-)

In the case of the latter, I'd recommend deploying a full wing of buffs,
just to make sure.

greg

--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....
Old October 13th 03, 02:02 PM
BUFDRVR

(is that a full load BD?)

Believe it or not, its kind of difficult to say what a full load of AGM-84D is
on a BUFF. There are enough stations for 6 per pylon, for a total of 12.
However, there were engine harmonics problems on the G model J-57 engines that
affected the two rear shoulder stations. So...the G model was only certified
to carry 4 per pylon for a total of 8. Now, the H model has entirely different
engines and one could reasonably suspect, entirely different harmonics, however
for years and years we were stuck with 8 total. About the time they started to
seriously discuss removing the weapon from the BUFF inventory (after spending
millions to upgrade the B-52 Offensive software as to permit any B-52 to shoot
Harpoon), they also started discussing new tests for the H model TF-33
harmoincs. I never heard anything beyond that and realistically, the weapon
should just be removed from the BUFF inventory. If there's a ship to be sunk
nowadays, the US Navy doesn't need to, and won't, call on the USAF to sink it
with an AGM-84D.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old October 14th 03, 04:03 AM
Jim Baker

No. The EVS was for low level only and was only a good eye outside some of
the time; when conditions were right and it was working properly. It
definitely helped at night, the FLIR that is, and the steerable TV was only
good in the day, when conditions were right and it was working properly.
The search equipment was the radar.

JB

"Tank Fixer" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...
Yes, the B-52G did carry ASQ-151 Electro-optical Viewing System (EVS),
which consisted of AVQ-22 LLLTV and AAQ-6 FLIR. But the main purpose
of this system was to prevent the bomber from flying into the ground
at night.

Could one use it to perform a search from altitude at night ?

Tank Fixer wrote in message

nk.net...
In article ,
says...
Just wondering, how were B-52G bombers supposed to find targets in
anti-ship strikes? Were they to use their own sensors or depend on
offboard targeting?

Soviet naval bombers had big sea search radars, but B-52G didn't

seem
to have one...

http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/AG...n_Missile.html

Don't teh G models carry an EO system in the nose ?

--
When dealing with propaganda terminology one sometimes always speaks in
variable absolutes. This is not to be mistaken for an unbiased slant.