PDA GPS software Which one??

Old November 9th 05, 10:02 PM
cwby-flyer

Default PDA GPS software Which one??

It looks like MountainScope offers coverage for both Australia & Europe
- http://www.mountainscope.com/international.jsp

Mike

Old November 9th 05, 11:42 PM
Morgans

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote

A fine backup, certainly,
but not nearly as reliable as a one-button-press Lowrance or Garmin hand
held with the Jepp database.

From all of the post about the 396, it seems there are some major
reliability problems, even with some Garmin units.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 10th 05, 12:22 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:
A fine backup, certainly,
but not nearly as reliable as a one-button-press Lowrance or Garmin hand
held with the Jepp database.

From all of the post about the 396, it seems there are some major
reliability problems, even with some Garmin units.

Really? I have one, and it's fantastic. I've only seen a handful of
posts from people with problems, and Garmin seems to resolve them
without much of a fuss. I'd guess that Garmin's failure rate on the
hardware is very, very low, given that they sold thousands of the units
during Oshkosh alone.

JKG
Old November 10th 05, 02:12 AM

Is any portable GPS "IFR certified?" I don't believe you can presently
use any portable GPS as a primary instrument for flying enroute or
approaches and still be "legal," even if you are in radar contact. I
may be incorrect.

Old November 10th 05, 05:28 AM
Alex Shoemack

Hi,

I am developing this type of software. What I have written at the moment is a traditional style flight planner with fuel & w+b calculations and a moving map navigation system for use with digitized maps. It also has NAIPS Access for briefings and flight plan submission. The software has a couple of things I need to iron out and then write a help file but that is it, 2 weeks work max. The thing is, I have no licence from Airservices Australia yet so I hope that works out, if so well all is good If not my product becomes slightly crippled in that the user has to put in all the waypoints manually Or I find another data source and I will likely include NAIPS access

Once I get v1 out I will be enhancing it for Direct3D under Windows Mobile 5 to allow map rotation and then implementing a 3D map, using DEM Data, etc etc under D3D. It should look good but probably will require Dell Axim x50v or x51v for this stuff as they have a nice GPU which performs very well, and at the very least WM5 but it's a big IF direct3d will Render fast enough in software mode.

My site is at http://www.digiflight.com.au but it is nothing there just yet!

I do intend a beta test pretty soon and will announce it on the site and here.

Alex

"Kevin Black" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Firstly I'm in Australia and VFR. I have a Garmin III Pilot, but am also
about to purchase an iPaq PDA. Rather than upgrade to a colour GARMIN
(296/396) at megabucks I thought I could get similar functionality using
the PDA. Costings seem to be PDA nil (it's a sunk cost I'm going to buy
it anyway), Bluetooth GPS AUS$100 or so on e-bay, and the software
(Anywhere map special US$95 and NavGPS US$290).

The Anywheremap seems the standout bargain, at current exchange rates
I'm looking at about an all up cost of AUS$232 for software and GPS.

I'm e-mailing both companies with these questions, but I'm pretty darned
sure they will recommend their own product. For those that have used
either or both (and compared to say a G296):

1. Which of these two would you buy, and why?
2. Functionality compared to Garmin's offering?
3. Ease of use compared to Garmin?
4. Base mapping (Garmin has the intl Pacific Base map for Aus). The
Jepp DB has all of the avaiation info including control zones etc etc.
Do these systems have at least the same info depicted?
5. Updates - If I don't update the Garmin it still works with the 'old'
database. Do these keep functioning without updating the database. I
have no real reason to update more than once a year or so?
6. Any other advice much appreciated....

reply to group or kevinblack at bigblue dot net dot au.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old November 10th 05, 09:24 AM
MC

Alex Shoemack wrote:

The thing is, I have no licence from
Airservices Australia yet so I hope that works out, if so well all is
good If not my product becomes slightly crippled in that the user has
to put in all the waypoints manually Or I find another data source and I
will likely include NAIPS access

Alex, make sure that you're sitting down when ASA give you a quote
for their electronic data.
Old November 10th 05, 01:21 PM
Dan Luke

"Morgans" wrote:

A fine backup, certainly,
but not nearly as reliable as a one-button-press Lowrance or Garmin
hand
held with the Jepp database.

From all of the post about the 396, it seems there are some major
reliability problems, even with some Garmin units.

I'd say the problems are isolated, aithough the must seem major to the
owners who've had them. The 396 has sold like hotcakes; if the troubles
were widespread, surely we would see more reports on the various forums
like this one, CFO, CPA, ABS, etc.

I had one minor power mgmt. problem right after I bought my 396, later
corrected by a software revision. Since then, the unit has been rock
solid, in contrast to my old Bluetooth WX receiver/gps/pc setup, which
was plagued with MS Windows hiccups.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 10th 05, 02:28 PM
Coop

MC wrote:

Alex Shoemack wrote:

The thing is, I have no licence from Airservices Australia yet so I
hope that works out, if so well all is good If not my product
becomes slightly crippled in that the user has to put in all the
waypoints manually Or I find another data source and I will likely
include NAIPS access

Alex, make sure that you're sitting down when ASA give you a quote
for their electronic data.

Hey guys! I've come across a new instrument to assist with navigational
challenges- better than GPS or PDA systems by far.

It comes standard with the largest database of Australian waypoints I've
ever encountered.

The display is extremely realistic and rendering in 3-dimensional colour
graphics is available at the greater magnifications.

The range of display magnifications is almost infinite- far beyond what
is required by most Private Pilots, and sufficient for the most
demanding applications (The Space Shuttle had at least one of these
installed for all flights.)

Any visible waypoint can be selected by simply pointing at it on the
display.

The memory requirements are negligible- and power consumption is
extremely low (although it can rise if "open architecture" is used- this
is an option on some models).

There are literally no buttons. The display is set up so that it becomes
active as soon as the aircraft engine is started, and all functions are
engaged by simply examining the display and pointing at the required track.

The display remains perfectly oriented irrespective of the attitude of
the aircraft, although it has a fixed reference which cannot be changed.

You might think with such demanding specifications that this is an
expensive instrument- but they are quite affordable- although some
regular maintenance is required.

I have found that a disadvantage of the available display magnification
range is that at the larger magnifications the scroll rate becomes
unacceptably rapid.

It is, unfortunately, available only in VFR versions. However, if IFR
conditions are encountered the display notifies the pilot immediately.

It is known as the Wide INertial Device for Orientation of Waypoints

Or WINDOW, for short.....:-)

Coop
g,d,r

Old November 10th 05, 03:53 PM
Kevin Black

Or WINDOW, for short.....:-)

The last time I tried to buy one of those with attached hardware, it was
out of my price range - sigh..... And the running costs were a little
over the top as well...

Cheers,
Kevin
Old November 14th 05, 03:27 AM
Newps

Alex Shoemack wrote:
Hi,

I am developing this type of software. What I have written at the moment
is a traditional style flight planner with fuel & w+b calculations and a
moving map navigation system for use with digitized maps.

I have tried all the moving map programs on my PDA. No contest, NavGPS
Pro is the best. As for W+B programs Wing X is the best. If I have to
enter any more than my empty weight and empty weight CG then you are not
doing your job. With Wing X I simply pick my particular model of plane
off a list, enter two numbers and I'm done. It shows me a picture of my
W+B envelope as well as a list. It tells me my weight at any time. It
has a complete nav database as well, so I simply tell it where I am and
where I'm going.