Lycoming engines "code"

Old August 28th 04, 08:58 PM
Philippe

Default Lycoming engines "code"

Hello,

I can see 25 differents lycoming IO360, from IO360A1A to IO360M1A.

A1A - A1B - A1B6 - A1B6D - A1D6
A2A - A2B - A3B6 - A3B6D - A3D6D
B1B - B1E - B1F - B1F6 - B1G6
C1B - C1C - C1C6 - C1D6 - C1E6
C1F - CIG6 - F1A - L2A - M1A

How can I know the differences. Any URLs about?

Witch codes for cleanest cowling?

Thanks
--
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old August 28th 04, 09:40 PM
Don Lewis n FTW

Have you seen
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...modelCode.html
????

Old August 29th 04, 01:01 PM
Kevin Horton

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:58:00 +0200, Philippe wrote:

Hello,

I can see 25 differents lycoming IO360, from IO360A1A to IO360M1A.

A1A - A1B - A1B6 - A1B6D - A1D6
A2A - A2B - A3B6 - A3B6D - A3D6D
B1B - B1E - B1F - B1F6 - B1G6
C1B - C1C - C1C6 - C1D6 - C1E6
C1F - CIG6 - F1A - L2A - M1A

How can I know the differences. Any URLs about?

Witch codes for cleanest cowling?

Thanks

There are a lot more than 25 of them.

Big picture - the IO-360-B series engines are based on the 180 hp O-360 -
i.e. they are parallel valve engines. The IO-360-A and -C series engines
are angle-valve engines, with tuned induction, and are 200 hp engines
(generally speaking, there might be some models that differ).

What you need for a smooth cowling depends on the aircraft. RV-7s and
RV-8s need a fuel injection servo that is mounted on the forward side of
the oil sump. The IO-360-A series engines have this. The IO-360-M series
engines are 180 hp engines, but with the fuel injector on the front of the
oil sump too, so they will work.

The IO-360-B series engines have the injector mounted below the oil sump.
The IO-360-C series engines have the injector mounted on the rear of
the
oil sump, so this might be used for a clean cowl on some other aircraft
designs.

There is quite a bit of info on the different engine models in the FAA
Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS). The main search page is at:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Just type an engine model in the search field, e.g. "IO-360-A1A".

The TCDS for the Lycoming IO-360s is at:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/8df482166b82dd2386256e75005a0248/$FILE/1E10%20Rev%2022.pdf

Detailed (by sometimes subtly misleading) info on the differences can be
seen starting at page 15, although the earlier info on power, weights, etc
is also quite important.

Note: the above links may get mangled into two lines. Reassembly is left
as an exercise for the reader.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada