best PC for FS2004

Old February 6th 04, 12:18 AM
Tlewis95

Default best PC for FS2004

Hi
I am buying a new computer
I have a 0.5 GhZ Pentium III Gateway and get a crappy 10-20 FPS with medium
settings.
I am looking for the quickest FS2004 runing machine
I am thinking about he Dell Dimension XPS
I would want at least 30 FPS with highish scenery/AI/weather
Is this possible?

Thanks!!
Trace Lewis age 13

Old February 6th 04, 02:52 AM
Peter Duniho

"Tlewis95" wrote in message
I would want at least 30 FPS with highish scenery/AI/weather
Is this possible?

Yes. Any high-end gaming PC would do just fine. Get lots of RAM (1GB), a
fast CPU ( 2.5Ghz Intel or equivalent AMD (since AMD's clock speeds aren't
comparable to Intel's)), and a good video card (GeForceFX or ATI Radeon
9800).

Pete

Old February 6th 04, 02:25 PM
Bill

"Tlewis95" wrote in message
Hi
I am buying a new computer
I have a 0.5 GhZ Pentium III Gateway and get a crappy 10-20 FPS with

medium
settings.
I am looking for the quickest FS2004 runing machine
I am thinking about he Dell Dimension XPS
I would want at least 30 FPS with highish scenery/AI/weather
Is this possible?

Thanks!!
Trace Lewis age 13

The Dell XPS has the right specs but as said the tech support is
questionable. My friend has one and called tech yesterday, spoke to someone
in India and got nowhere. I am going over to see if I can help out. Nothing
against India but there is a communication problem for sure, not to mention
loss of American jobs.

My advise is get the most power money can buy. FS2004 is one CPU hungry
piece of software.

Bill

Old February 6th 04, 08:48 PM
Tom Gibson

Hi,

I agree - if you are going to need tech support don't expect it from
India...

That said, my new Dell XPS 3.0HT is working great. I have to look for
situations where it drops below 30 fps.

An example:

Location: KJFK in NYC (default detailed airport)
Scenery: Extremely Dense (max)
AI Traffic: 100% (I have about 4x default traffic there)
Most other sliders except mesh and a couple others maxed.
Radeon 9800 Pro, maxed AA etc.
1024x768

Result: 23-30 fps (maxed at 30). Had to go hunting to find the 23 fps,
too.

Hope this helps,

--
Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/

Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/

Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/

San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/

Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Old February 7th 04, 05:00 AM
Tlewis95

What kind of airplane are you flying when you get the 23-30 FPS and what is the
3d cloud setting on?
Old February 7th 04, 10:46 PM
Tlewis95

Yes that does help tom!
I will get one of those but I need to save up!
I am going to time it so I have 2,500 bucks and the 4Ghz HT processer is out
for the price of a 3.2 Ghz macine now.
Thanks a lot!
P.S, What kind of plane were you flying over New York Tom? When I fly the 747
with scenery minal, no AI or 3D clouds, I get 1.5-3 FPS (not flyable). Also
what was the weather like then and what the weather/ 3D clouds setting on? And
what video card you had and the terrain mesh at the time? Thanks

Trace Lewis

age 13
Old February 9th 04, 11:58 PM
Tom Gibson

Hi,

I was flying my Convair 340 panel, which is a complex panel (typically
reduces frame rates by 3-5 fps vs the default panels). The 3D clouds
were set at 100%, but it was a fair day with scattered clouds. I
haven't seen that bad weather costs many frames with this machine, though.

Hope this helps,

Old February 11th 04, 04:31 AM
Tlewis95

Yep!