Thanks for the Sun 'n fun reports

Old April 18th 05, 03:46 AM
Tedstriker

Default Thanks for the Sun 'n fun reports

I'm headed for Oshkosh this year myself. Everytime I do Sun 'n fun,
it's so close to Oshkosh, I never feel like going up there so soon
after SNF. So this year, I skipped SNF and am all set for OSH. Better
fly-in anyway. I've also noticed the SNF organazation and EAA starting
to distance themselves from each other somewhat. As evidenced by the
letter posted on the SNF website, titled "Sun 'n fun and EAA".
The SNF guys destroyed the good fly-market that used to exist there.
And each year keep jacking up the admission fees. Plus, Oshkosh has
nicer grass. Like a golf course. I prefer parking my homebuilt there.
No black sand blowing on and sticking to my struts like at SNF.
I'm starting to think Zoom may have been right about some of the
things he said about SNF. I've flown into that show several times. And
the arrival procedures aren't very safe at all. I'm landing and a guy
20 feet above my head is landing in front of me. hmm..
Now in all fairness, I haven't done the approach to Oshkosh, so can't
compare it to that. But unless the wx is bad, I'll be flying into OSH
in my Jurca MJ-5 Sirocco this year. See you there!
Old April 18th 05, 04:15 AM
BobR

There is a need for both Sun-N-Fun and for Oshkosh as well as several
other regional EAA flyins. The one thing that I have failed to
understand is this constant blaming of the safety concerns on the
Sun-N-Fun organization. They don't control the airspace, that is a
function of the FAA Air Traffic Control. If you have complaints about
how the ATC is handling the process, complain to them.

Old April 18th 05, 12:08 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Tedstriker" wrote in message
I'm headed for Oshkosh this year myself. Everytime I do Sun 'n fun,
it's so close to Oshkosh, I never feel like going up there so soon
after SNF. So this year, I skipped SNF and am all set for OSH. Better
fly-in anyway.

No doubt that the fly-ins have plenty of overlap. I've more or less given up
on watching the airshows - I've seen all the loud unlimited aerobatic
aircraft I ever need to see. The performers are all tremendous, but each
show has a half dozen acts that are all but identical. One real plus of Osh
is that there are a few more halfway decent food vendors. SnF has, by my
count, exactly one food vendor that offers anything that compares favorably
with low-end stadium food...

I've also noticed the SNF organazation and EAA starting
to distance themselves from each other somewhat. As evidenced by the
letter posted on the SNF website, titled "Sun 'n fun and EAA".

SnF and EAA have always had an arm's length relationship. SnF began as a
local fly-in sponsored by the local chapter, and recieves input from EAA HQ,
but has never been controllled by EAA HQ, whereas Oshkosh is the EAA
convention.

The SNF guys destroyed the good fly-market that used to exist there.
And each year keep jacking up the admission fees.

As does Oshkosh, the college team whose football tickets I purchase, and
seemingly everything else.

Plus, Oshkosh has
nicer grass. Like a golf course. I prefer parking my homebuilt there.
No black sand blowing on and sticking to my struts like at SNF.
I'm starting to think Zoom may have been right about some of the
things he said about SNF.

Zoom never passes on an opportunity to twist facts to the detriment of SnF.
In a recent article in ANN, they indicated that the lack of lines at the
porta potties was a sign of reduced attendance. I was there, and attendance
seemed in line with previous years. Perhaps SnF management has added enough
porta potties that people don't need to line up anymore? You'd never see
THAT story in ANN. Of course, you will see articles on numerous "fringe"
suppliers who sell snake oil and false promises to people who want to
believe. Several engine suppliers whose products are perpetually "nearing
production" come to mind.

I've flown into that show several times. And
the arrival procedures aren't very safe at all. I'm landing and a guy
20 feet above my head is landing in front of me. hmm..

SnF and Osh procedures are very similar. Form a nose to tail line over a
point of reference, and continue in trail until you land. There are plenty
of knuckle heads at both shows who mess up the procedures. I believe the
person in the Cessna Centurion in front of me (for a while) going into SnF
on Thursday must have had either ADD or Alzheimers. The guy/gal obviously
didn't have a clue. Not much either show can do about that...

Old April 18th 05, 07:23 PM
John T

I'd say that Oshkosh's fly-market has been pretty well trashed too.
Still a number of aviation related booths/seller/dealers, but I'd like
to get rid of the non-related stuff (leather goods, guitars, nada
chairs, etc) in favor of more aviation stuff.

John

Old April 18th 05, 10:43 PM
Morgans

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

There are plenty
of knuckle heads at both shows who mess up the procedures. I believe the
person in the Cessna Centurion in front of me (for a while) going into SnF
on Thursday must have had either ADD or Alzheimers. The guy/gal obviously
didn't have a clue. Not much either show can do about that...

Anti-aircraft gun emplacement? ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old April 19th 05, 12:47 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Morgans wrote:
"Kyle Boatright" wrote

There are plenty

of knuckle heads at both shows who mess up the procedures. I believe the
person in the Cessna Centurion in front of me (for a while) going into SnF
on Thursday must have had either ADD or Alzheimers. The guy/gal obviously
didn't have a clue. Not much either show can do about that...

Anti-aircraft gun emplacement? ;-)

NO!! Some of the aircraft they fly have value.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old April 19th 05, 02:01 AM
Morgans

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote

NO!! Some of the aircraft they fly have value.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Right. Since this program is my ideea, I get dibs of the first ones!

Borrow the Enterprise's transporter, then set the beam on wide dispersal
pattern? Tractor beam to bring the plane down safely.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 19th 05, 02:05 AM
Tedstriker

On 17 Apr 2005 20:15:29 -0700, "BobR"
wrote:

There is a need for both Sun-N-Fun and for Oshkosh as well as several
other regional EAA flyins. The one thing that I have failed to
understand is this constant blaming of the safety concerns on the
Sun-N-Fun organization. They don't control the airspace, that is a
function of the FAA Air Traffic Control. If you have complaints about
how the ATC is handling the process, complain to them.

I'll complain to whoever I please thank you. Who asked you anyway?
Old April 19th 05, 02:50 AM
Jerry Springer

wrote:

There is a need for both Sun-N-Fun and for Oshkosh as well as several
other regional EAA flyins. The one thing that I have failed to
understand is this constant blaming of the safety concerns on the
Sun-N-Fun organization. They don't control the airspace, that is a
function of the FAA Air Traffic Control. If you have complaints about
how the ATC is handling the process, complain to them.

I'll complain to whoever I please thank you. Who asked you anyway?

That make a lot of sense... NOT. What are you a 10 year old child? You
are acting like one.
Old April 19th 05, 04:10 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Morgans wrote:

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote

NO!! Some of the aircraft they fly have value.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Right. Since this program is my ideea, I get dibs of the first ones!

Borrow the Enterprise's transporter, then set the beam on wide dispersal
pattern? Tractor beam to bring the plane down safely.

Much better idea, but don't forget to have your transporter drain the
fuel. You don't want to have the aircaft hurt themselves.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired