windows

Old November 24th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default windows

Warrior Windows.

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone has had any experience polishing out
damage to plexiglas windows caused by a sloppy painter who got paint
stripper on the plastic. No one has so I will answer my own question.
No, the penetration is deep enough that the remedy will be enough to
cause distortion. With that new information I ordered a new set of
glass from Great Lakes Aero and went to work. The AP installed the
windscreen and I tackled the sides. The job is straightforward enough
without inherent problems. Great Lakes plexaglas fitted perfectly
without any alteration. There were only three problems. First I tried
to cheat the system and do the job without removing the seats.
Contorting over the seats probably doubled the time necessary to do the
job. second the #4 screws holding the bracket retainers had corroded
or worn the screwholes enough to prevent the threads from engaging.
This is easily remedied but a nusiance. It is also a nuisance to
reinstall using the #4 screws. Next time I will have a handful of #6
screws. The third problem was not of my making. I opened a new tube
of GE "Kitchen and Bath" silicone. The first several feet of the
silicone was of noticably lower viscosity. The problem cleared up as I
went along. Bad mistake. The low viscosity material never set up, it
is still tacky, semifluid. I called GE to ask if I should give it more
time or start over. The lady listened to my story and opined that if
it had not set in a week it was not going to and that I should clean it
up and go at it again. I could almost see her shrug when she said that
it must have been a bad batch.
Total time for the job would be about 6 to 10 hours.

Old November 26th 05, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The learning curve is not too steep - if I remove the seats and have
plenty of new screws I believe I can do all 6 in 6 hours. I don't want
a job. Leo