In flight phone/camera charging

Old November 15th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Default In flight phone/camera charging

5v 1amp solar panels are available on ebay, and are small enough to amount on the top of the instrument panel. Personally, I use a 10ah power bank in combination with a solar panel.
Old November 15th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Wyll Surf Air wrote on 11/14/2019 11:01 PM:
On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 6:24:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Would like to add an in-cockit dual charge "station" to charge phone and action camera in flight. Any suggestion for hardware?

Hopefully, something small and simple.

I have one of these panel mounted in my glider. The fact that they are aluminum makes me think that they are shielded better than your usual 12V usb charger. So far they seem to work and I haven't had any noise issues yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Y1U2Z1FL&psc=1

I have an identical appearing one out of plastic, and it caused a lot of noise on
the radio. I'm glad there is one that is quiet.

Old November 16th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 9:24:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Would like to add an in-cockit dual charge "station" to charge phone and action camera in flight. Any suggestion for hardware?

Hopefully, something small and simple.

Thanks for all the input. Most important was learning the possibility of noise; this I hadn't considered.
Old November 16th 19, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ouch!!! Your not kidding garmin is proud of there little panel mount!! While their connector looks real slick and may have better shielding than the norm, at a price of $350 I think I will pass and keep my cig lighter port that has worked flawlessly for the last 6 years. lol. I guess they think they need that kind of price to justify/reclaim the expense encured getting that FAA approval. Or maybe they can charge that much simply because its an “aviation” related item. I will wait for them to market the same connector for the motorcycle and auto market, the price will then be about $40.
Old November 16th 19, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yes, I bought a cheap, direct connect USB supply at Amazon.* The radio
noise was incessant and the squelch would not silence it.* One flight
and in the trash.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 16th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

How about $1.92
https://www.wish.com/product/57ce99d204dd70200e7d126d?hide_login_modal=true&fro m_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=US&_force _currency_code=USD&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7Bcamp aignId%7D&ad_cid=57ce99d204dd70200e7d126d&ad_cc=US &ad_curr=USD&ad_price=1.92&fallback_cids=59edb3695 373415aac0da4b2&campaign_id=7203534630&gclid=Cj0KC QiA2b7uBRDsARIsAEE9XpHfLxu0T10YTSTdLMmYPlakFmIIW_q FXtsMa5z29Wc4cPDV2llh1usaAqXREALw_wcB?*
Just google motorcycle usb charger.* There are plenty of options.* One
cost as much as $15.00!

Old November 16th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hear ya there Dan. I was pretty careful when I wired up my bird. I kept the radio/speaker wiring on one side of the ship and wired in the cig 12v socket on the far right with some alum shielding around the socket. Works great, no noise except for when I am begging for some lift lol.
Old November 16th 19, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 09:30:25 -0800 (PST), Brian
wrote:

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:27:30 AM UTC-7, Emir Sherbi wrote:
I had a lot of noise issues with the USB ports. Some of them work, others not. The most practical was to carry a portable powerbank, but is another thing that you have to remember to charge....

I have tried a few as well and also had issues with noise. So far been using a powerbank as well. But if willing to try some recommendations for low noise outlets.

Never use a 12V car charger, but use an RC UBEC instead that is
usually used to power RC components in model aircraft. These UBECs are
designed to create as little noise as possible in order not to disturb
the RC receiver.

An example:
https://www.banggood.com/External-BE...r_warehouse=CN

Been using many of those for ages. Works like a charm.
Old November 17th 19, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 4:04:30 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Ouch!!! Your not kidding garmin is proud of there little panel mount!! While their connector looks real slick and may have better shielding than the norm, at a price of $350 I think I will pass and keep my cig lighter port that has worked flawlessly for the last 6 years. lol. I guess they think they need that kind of price to justify/reclaim the expense encured getting that FAA approval. Or maybe they can charge that much simply because its an “aviation” related item. I will wait for them to market the same connector for the motorcycle and auto market, the price will then be about $40.

Here is one that will work in an aircraft and is MUCH cheaper:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...4aAiW4EALw_wcB

Tom