Aviation Movies?

Old May 31st 05, 05:26 AM
Montblack

("AES" wrote)
[snip]
What's the old B&W classic about flying a Ford Trimotor (?) across the
Andes in South America -- flying through a narrow pass in a thick fog.

http://www.carygrant.net/reviews/wings.html
Good Cary Grant page

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031762/
Only Angels Have Wings (1939)

Montblack
Old May 31st 05, 06:28 AM
Montblack

("Dave Burton" wrote)
Any movie suggestions that might entain the fly-in crowd would be
great. I know the choice of aviation movies is limited and I don't
think we want to show Top Gun or Independance Day, again...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059797/
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, or How I Flew from London to
Paris in 25 hours 11 minutes (1965)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301727/
Winged Migration (2001)

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,93522%7C93523%7C62543,00.html
I really was really entertained (in an MST3000 kind of way) by Flight
Command (1940).

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2ED52B2B
(same link as above ....wait for it)

I liked Flight Command because it was so bad - the acting, the lines, the
blocking, the characters, the plot. However, the flying scenes and hangar
scenes were very, very fun. Sometimes at functions like yours 'talk back to
the screen' movies are a hoot. This would be a great movie for that!!

For an older audience 10 and up...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092965/
Empire of the Sun (1987)

If I could present only three Spielberg movies for a film class to study,
this would be one of them. All of Spielberg's strengths ...and *other*
Spielberg traits, are seen in this film. It's Spielberg at his most
Spielbergishness. Good ...and bad (which is still pretty good :-)

Montblack

Old May 31st 05, 09:12 AM
Antoņio

Montblack wrote:
("Dave Burton" wrote)

Any movie suggestions that might entain the fly-in crowd would be

Why "The Aviator" of course! True story, great performances, 5 academy
awards, the most incredible crash scene I've ever seen, and a chance to
give one of our nation's most enigmatic figures some well-deserved
recognition as an aviation pioneer.

BTW....once you see the movie you'll never call it "The Spruce Goose" again.

Antonio
Old May 31st 05, 12:56 PM
bluenosepiperflyer

"The Dam Busters", upon which George Lucas leaned heavily in "Star
Wars", is black and white, but better every time you see it: from
four-engine Lancasters screaming over the countryside at night at sixty
feet, to clocks ticking in the bedrooms of dead aircrew after the raid
on the German dams; Richard Todd, who plays the squadron's leader,
dropped in to Normandy as a paratrooper on the night of 5-6 June 1944.
Not too long;

The "Spirit of St. Louis", in which Jimmy Stewart, who flew bombers in
the European theatre, plays Charles Lindbergh, who flew P-38's and
other aircraft in the Pacific (as well as a small, silver single engine
airplane across the Atlantic!). Color.

"Twelve O'clock High" (the movie, not the tv series). Black and white,
relatively short.

"The Right Stuff", especially the parts in which Chuck Yeager,
wonderfully played by Sam Sheppard: 1. launches in a B-29 and breaks
the sound barrier in the X-1; 2. launches in a later development of
that airplane and breaks the canopy with his head; 3. launches in the
NF-104 in going for the altitude record, and breaks it (the NF-104).
Long, though.

If you want to stretch the definition of "movie" a bit, "Piece of
Cake", a mini-series about the summer of 1940 which was shown on PBS
about ten years ago, is now out on DVD. It has long, loving sequences
of Spitfires flying off grass fields, landing on lawns of country
houses, flying under bridges, and arcing through the skies after 109's.
This would probably be way too long, though (about six hours).

All of the above would be PG, as I recall, with "Piece of Cake" perhaps
being PG-13.

Old May 31st 05, 04:59 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
dancingstarcreations
wrote:

Dave Burton wrote:
Here is you chance to suggest movies to show at a fly-in....

Why "The Aviator" of course! True story, great performances, 5 academy
awards, the most incredible crash scene I've ever seen, and a chance to
give one of our nation's most enigmatic figures some well-deserved
recognition as an aviation pioneer.

BTW....once you see the movie you'll never call it "The Spruce Goose" again.

Antonio

I did not rate "The Aviator" that highly. The crash scenes are all bogus
CGI and have little in common with reality. As for DiCaprio's portrayal
of Hughes, I thought that he was just another pretty face going through
the motions.

His piloting scenes reminded me of a 5-year-old playing "airplane." His
acting there was most unconvincing. IMHO, the only thing missing there
was making "BRRRR" sounds.

Old May 31st 05, 10:22 PM
Helen Woods

The Rocketeer - hands down - for kids of all ages!

Helen
Old May 31st 05, 10:51 PM
John Galban

Montblack wrote:

I liked Flight Command because it was so bad - the acting, the lines, the
blocking, the characters, the plot. However, the flying scenes and hangar
scenes were very, very fun. Sometimes at functions like yours 'talk back to
the screen' movies are a hoot. This would be a great movie for that!!

I saw it this weekend on TCM's Memorial Day marathon. It was
certainly a winner in the hokey dept. If you stayed up a little later
last night you might have caught "God is my Copilot". Now that was
hokey. The dialog was absolutely hilarious. Particularly the radio
dialogue as the Tigers are mowing down Zeros. I was thinking that if
you put a bunch of fifth graders into P-40s and had them dogfight, the
dialogue might ring true.

Let's not forget the all time classic "Zero hour!". The movie
"Airplane!" is nearly a scene for scene parody of "Zero Hour!". I'm
still not sure which one is funnier.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 1st 05, 01:32 AM
Antoņio

Alan wrote:
"Hell's Angels" and "The Dawn Patrol" from the early '30s.
Wings - the silent classic that won the first best picture academy
award.

Yes, I'm seriously into WWI aviation!

Wasn't "Hell's Angels" the movie by Howard Hughes?

Antonio
Old June 1st 05, 01:43 AM
Dave Stadt

"Antoņio" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
"Hell's Angels" and "The Dawn Patrol" from the early '30s.
Wings - the silent classic that won the first best picture academy
award.

Yes, I'm seriously into WWI aviation!

Wasn't "Hell's Angels" the movie by Howard Hughes?

Antonio

Yes, and Pancho Barnes flew in it.

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
How safe is it, really? June Piloting 227 December 10th 04 05:01 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 3 May 14th 04 11:55 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM