Hurricane relief

Old September 5th 05, 07:22 AM
Bob Noel

In article WDOSe.10249$nd.7746@trndny04,
George Patterson wrote:

Would that water be contaminated if the shutoff to the water heater
had been closed (assuming it exists)?

Standard plumbing practice is to install a shutoff valve on the inlet to the
water heater to allow it to be drained. There is usually none on the outlet
line; security there would depend on the integrity of the various faucets in
the
house.

ah yes, I had forgotten at about that side of the heater.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old September 5th 05, 07:29 AM
Happy Dog

"TL" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

What's kind of interesting, in this whole thing, is that CNN (the supposed
"liberal" news outlet ) has been showing endless video of blacks looting
and
shouting gibberish at the cameras, essentially since "Day One." It's hard
to imagine black people being presented in a worse light.

That fellow who killfiled you was correct, you are a racist.

Idiot. Misinterpretation is borderline stupid. Failure to learn history,
in this case, the OP's is moronic. Rome was saved by the cackling of its
faithful geese Your efforts are, at once, boring and wasted.

moo

Old September 5th 05, 12:14 PM
Gary Drescher

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
ups.com...
Personally, I find it just as offensive to suggest a secret 'agenda' by
a "compassionate conservative" conspiracy as it is to suggest an
opposite 'agenda' by a "liberal media." There are conservative racists,
and there are liberal racists. I don't like and don't agree with either
kind. I don't think you can assume that someone who is a "conservative"
on some issues is a racist, any more than you can assume that someone
who is a "liberal" on some issues is not. Most people are far more
complex than that.

No argument there. I do not, by any means, simply equate conservatives with
racists (or liberals with the opposite). And yes, there are certainly many
conservatives who are compassionate. (Even the most egregiously offensive
posters here are likely compassionate in many aspects of their lives. People
are indeed complex.) But I do think "compassionate conservatism", as a
political movement, was engineered to whitewash for public consumption an
ideology whose motivations and effects are, on the whole, anything but
compassionate. (Surely it is not implausibly conspiratorial to suggest that
national political campaigns explicitly try to put an appealing spin on
their messages.)

--Gary

Old September 5th 05, 01:02 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

(Surely it is not implausibly conspiratorial to suggest that
national political campaigns explicitly try to put an appealing spin on
their messages.)

yes. In fact, all national political campaigns do that, from the most
left-wing liberal stuff to the most right-wing conservative stuff, as well
as all the wacko stuff that wouldn't fit logically into such a spectrum.

and don't call me ... ;-)

Old September 5th 05, 02:47 PM
Dan Luke

"Bob Noel" wrote:
(Surely it is not implausibly conspiratorial to suggest that
national political campaigns explicitly try to put an appealing spin
on
their messages.)

yes. In fact, all national political campaigns do that, from the most
left-wing liberal stuff to the most right-wing conservative stuff, as
well
as all the wacko stuff that wouldn't fit logically into such a
spectrum.

What makes me want to weep is the number of my fellow citizens who fall
for this crap. People seem to yearn to have their prejudices stroked,
and select their information sources accordingly, so that they are not
confronted with anything that might-God forbid-cause them to have to
rethink their views of the world.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 5th 05, 03:23 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newsxQSe.310514$_o.237132@attbi_s71...

If not, shut the f*ck up. " Jay Honeck

NOW you've done it!!! I was afraid of this.......and it's MY fault!!!!!!.
My wife says I'm a bad influence on you. Does your lovely bride know about
this? Where is she? I hope she's away from the computer screen. You have to
be careful she doesn't find out. You could find yourself in REAL hot water
about this you know. :-)))
Actually, it's not too bad yet. I see my influence hasn't completely
destroyed you . Somehow, you managed to insert that single asterisk. If you
were at my level of total Usenet destruction, ALL the letters would be
there....and in CAPS!!!!
This shows my influence on you hasn't quite reached the last stage of total
Usenet destruction and you can still deal with the idiots on Usenet one step
above my level of "no asterisks at all".
You can still be saved if you stop this instant; tell the front desk clerk
to take over, get away from the keyboard, smile at the guests as you leave
the front office, go over to the airport and get in the Cherokee, take off,
, climb to 5000 feet and open the vents wide. Take a deep breath and count
to 100 slowly. Now come on back to the hotel and tell your wife you are VERY
sorry you said this awful word. She will understand that this single
incident of bad behavior was the result of you being exposed to me and she
will forgive you.
Just remember.......If you keep this up, our wives won't let us play
together any more!!!!! :-)))))
Dudley

Old September 5th 05, 03:35 PM
gregg

Jay Honeck wrote:

Sadly, I know all of this because I just spent the last 3 days dealing
with my mother-in-law's death, which meant endless hours sitting in hotel
rooms

My deepest condolences, Jay.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old September 5th 05, 04:56 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Gary Drescher wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrot...

Yes, that is what the liberal media would have you believe and that is why
you mainly see black people on the roofs. It doesn't help the agenda
nearly as much to show a balanced cross section of those in desparate
straits.

Huh? Are you actually not aware that the vast majority of people stranded in
New Orleans are black? You think the journalists are just hiding the
pictures of the white folks when they pan their cameras down the streets or
around the stadium?

The featured a few gay couples...
Old September 5th 05, 05:33 PM
Gary Drescher

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
"Many" of the victims are to blame? *How* many have engaged in the
predatory violence you refer to? Even one in a hundred? If so, what is
your evidence?

Evidence? Please.

Yes. Evidence. Please.

It's a veritable war zone. Res ipsa loquitor.

"Res ipsa loquitor [sic]"? So you think your beliefs in this matter are just
obviously correct, and thus require no evidence? What a profound abrogation
of intellectual responsibility! (Even in a *literal* war zone, there is not
necessarily more than one person in a hundred participating in the
hostilities.)

All that is obvious is that *some* of the stranded N.O. residents have
behaved violently. What I asked, specifically, is whether the percentage is
nonnegligible. You have not been able or willing to articulate any reason to
think so.

--Gary

Old September 5th 05, 06:06 PM
Matt Whiting

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

I think she should was his mouth out with soap anyway, however! :-)

Matt