Heavy landing 777

Old December 16th 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Heavy landing 777

Hi a recent landing at Antigua in a 777 was very hard, and the pilot applied
the brakes really heavily, probaly in my assumption, because of the short
runway and a slight overshoot of touch down point, also if you pass the
terminal exit point i believe it would be a push back, (very expensive) as
no more exit points exist, my point is does a very heavy landing strain the
777 aircraft unduly especially the undercarriage regards Frank

Old December 16th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sounds like an 'autoland'. In the U.S. pilots are required to perform a
certain number of 'autolands' in order to remain current and be able to
land in conditions less than standard ILS CAT I minimums (i.e. landing
in fog). The plane is not designed to autoland itself smoothly, it is
designed to touch down within a specific spot on the runway and come to
a complete stop quickly. The software programmers were not very
interested in being smooth. BTW: In case anyone has any fantacies of
being able to land a 777 by pushing an 'autoland button', an 'auto
land' is actually much more difficult than just hand flying.

Old December 16th 05, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The 777 landing gear are designed to take a lot of stress. The landing
you describe does not sound like a big deal...

Dean
Former Boeing avionics engineer, 777 program

Old December 16th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

jfp wrote:

also if you pass the terminal exit point i believe it would be a push back, (very expensive) as no more exit points exist

Notwithstanding that any jet can go backwards with the use of the
reversers, why a push-back beyond the exit point - isn't the apron
there wide enough to accommodate a 180-degree turn?

Ramapriya

Old December 16th 05, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

BTW: In case anyone has any fantacies of
being able to land a 777 by pushing an 'autoland button', an 'auto
land' is actually much more difficult than just hand flying.

So, how =do= you do an autoland?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 16th 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:

The plane is not designed to autoland itself smoothly, it is
designed to touch down within a specific spot on the runway and come to
a complete stop quickly.

The 757 autolands itself smoothly as consistently as the average pilot.
It comes to a stop quickly or not, depending on the Autobrakes setting
chosen by the crew. Is the 777 so different?

In case anyone has any fantacies [sic] of
being able to land a 777 by pushing an 'autoland button', an 'auto
land' is actually much more difficult than just hand flying.

Psychologically, maybe, and naturally systems knowledge and proficiency
is necessary, but your claim of "difficulty" needs more context. What
could be easier than watching it happen, in a physical sense?

Do you have actual operational flight crew experience with the airplane?

Jack

Old December 16th 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .
BTW: In case anyone has any fantacies of
being able to land a 777 by pushing an 'autoland button', an 'auto
land' is actually much more difficult than just hand flying.

So, how =do= you do an autoland?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Yes and can it be preformed on MS FS9?

----------------------------------
DW

Old December 16th 05, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jack wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

The plane is not designed to autoland itself smoothly, it is
designed to touch down within a specific spot on the runway and come to
a complete stop quickly.

The 757 autolands itself smoothly as consistently as the average pilot.
It comes to a stop quickly or not, depending on the Autobrakes setting
chosen by the crew. Is the 777 so different?

I guess I wouldn't consider an autoland in that series "smooth" and
would challenge you to find a pilot who claims he is not smooher than
the autoland system. I would describe a 767 autoland as a "thunk" and
certainly not a greaser. Its not hard enough to drop things from the
overheads of course, but its not something a pilot would write home
about in pride had he hand flown it. I'm not sure I understand your
statement about the autobrakes. Do you have knowledge of the auto brake
setting on the flight the OP presented? As I recall the Boeing switch
has RTO,OFF,10,20,30,MAX but that's from old memory. I didn't see the
OP's description of where it was set.

In case anyone has any fantacies [sic] of
being able to land a 777 by pushing an 'autoland button', an 'auto
land' is actually much more difficult than just hand flying.

Psychologically, maybe, and naturally systems knowledge and proficiency
is necessary, but your claim of "difficulty" needs more context. What
could be easier than watching it happen, in a physical sense?

You don't push a button and watch it happen. Its like saying shooting a
GPS approach is "sitting back and watching it happen" compared to an
ILS. It takes training to understand how to use your GPS system, how to
set it up, etc. It takes training to understand how to use the autoland
system.

-Robert

Old December 16th 05, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I wasn't really suppose to be your pilot today, but I did stay in a
Holiday Inn last night.