Aviation+Street GPS

Old May 20th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Charles Talleyrand

Default Aviation+Street GPS

Does anyone know of any reasonable cost GPSs suitable for both street
and aviation use. I'd like to have turn-by-turn directions and be
able to look up com frequencies.

-Hopeful
-Charles Talleyrand

Old May 21st 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Charles Talleyrand said:
Does anyone know of any reasonable cost GPSs suitable for both street
and aviation use. I'd like to have turn-by-turn directions and be
able to look up com frequencies.

There's no such thing as a "reasonable cost" aviation GPS.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my 296, both in the air and on the
ground. I have the optional car kit that gives you a charger cord with a
speaker for spoken turn-by-turn directions, a CD with detail maps, and a
bean-bag mount so that I can throw it on the dash of a rental car after I
arrive at the destination airport.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.
Old May 21st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, Charles Talleyrand said:

Does anyone know of any reasonable cost GPSs suitable for both street
and aviation use. I'd like to have turn-by-turn directions and be
able to look up com frequencies.

There's no such thing as a "reasonable cost" aviation GPS.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my 296, both in the air and on the
ground. I have the optional car kit that gives you a charger cord with a
speaker for spoken turn-by-turn directions, a CD with detail maps, and a
bean-bag mount so that I can throw it on the dash of a rental car after I
arrive at the destination airport.

I'll second that. I've used two separate programs on my PDA for
driving, Mapopolis and Pocket Map Navigator, with Mapopolis being much
better. The 296 is every bit as good, I was suprised it was as good as
it is being as it's primary function is aviation. The 296 gets the nod
as the GPS is built in and an all in one unit is simply more stable than
the PDA. I hardly use my PDA anymore.
Old May 21st 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 20, 7:54 pm, Newps wrote:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
[...]

I would recommend WingX for the aviation software, and Tomtom for the
street software, both running on the pocketpc.

Old May 21st 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Charles Talleyrand

On May 20, 6:15 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, Charles Talleyrand said:

Does anyone know of any reasonable cost GPSs suitable for both street
and aviation use. I'd like to have turn-by-turn directions and be
able to look up com frequencies.

There's no such thing as a "reasonable cost" aviation GPS.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my 296, both in the air and on the
ground. I have the optional car kit that gives you a charger cord with a
speaker for spoken turn-by-turn directions, a CD with detail maps, and a
bean-bag mount so that I can throw it on the dash of a rental car after I
arrive at the destination airport.

It sounds perfect, but the cost is unreasonable. I could afford a
street GPS, and aviation GPS, and have money left over for the price
of a Garmin 296. Is there maybe a lesser cost option?

-Charles

Old May 21st 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I would recommend WingX for the aviation software, and Tomtom for the
street software, both running on the pocketpc.

I use Wing X also, but not the latest version, the one before that. The
latest is not as good, way too much crap on there.

Old May 21st 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

On May 20, 6:15 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, Charles Talleyrand said:

Does anyone know of any reasonable cost GPSs suitable for both street
and aviation use. I'd like to have turn-by-turn directions and be
able to look up com frequencies.

There's no such thing as a "reasonable cost" aviation GPS.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my 296, both in the air and on the
ground. I have the optional car kit that gives you a charger cord with a
speaker for spoken turn-by-turn directions, a CD with detail maps, and a
bean-bag mount so that I can throw it on the dash of a rental car after I
arrive at the destination airport.

It sounds perfect, but the cost is unreasonable. I could afford a
street GPS, and aviation GPS, and have money left over for the price
of a Garmin 296. Is there maybe a lesser cost option?

What is your budget? I have Lowrance AirMap 1000 that works for air
and ground, but it does not have Turn by Turn. May have to have the
wife and a thomas brothers for that.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old May 21st 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Charles Talleyrand

On May 20, 10:56 pm, Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:
[...]

My budget. My wife has not told me yet :-)

Basically, I think I have three options.

A Garmin GPSMAP 96 with the MapSource CD-ROM. It runs 375+99= $474.
This is not the color unit and only has 13M available for street
data. I have no idea if this is enough. And the screen is small.
But it's a Garmin, which means the interface is liked by me.

A reconditioned Garmin GPS Pilot III for about $300, and any street
gps for another $300. Total $600. The screens will be larger.

A Lowrance AirMap 600c GPS. Total cost $500. Seems to do everything,
has a nice color screen and large memory, and has fine reviews, but
I've never used a Lowrance so it lacks to me name brand appeal.

Any advice?

-Charles Talleyrand

Old May 21st 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

My budget. My wife has not told me yet :-)

Basically, I think I have three options.

A Garmin GPSMAP 96 with the MapSource CD-ROM. It runs 375+99= $474.
This is not the color unit and only has 13M available for street
data. I have no idea if this is enough. And the screen is small.
But it's a Garmin, which means the interface is liked by me.

A reconditioned Garmin GPS Pilot III for about $300, and any street
gps for another $300. Total $600. The screens will be larger.

A Lowrance AirMap 600c GPS. Total cost $500. Seems to do everything,
has a nice color screen and large memory, and has fine reviews, but
I've never used a Lowrance so it lacks to me name brand appeal.

Any advice?

-Charles Talleyrand

I know nothing about the turn by turn, never used one, but I am happy
with my Lowrance Air Map 1000. However, it does not meet your turn by
turn requirements, so I am in no position to recommend anything.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com

Beale Street Rocks! Jay Honeck Piloting 19 March 20th 07 03:21 AM
cloud street [email protected] Soaring 2 May 2nd 06 10:37 PM
cloud street [email protected] Soaring 0 April 26th 06 08:53 PM
Cloud Street Arts? [email protected] Soaring 3 June 8th 05 07:32 PM
Legal distance between street & helipad Darryl Rotorcraft 2 May 28th 04 10:11 PM