Experimentals down in Fla

Old March 7th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Default Experimentals down in Fla

On Mar 6, 9:05*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*stol wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:15*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,
*Matt Whiting wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
*Matt Whiting wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

He explained that there is no such thing as an łuncontrolled airport,˛
that there are towered and untowered airports, but both have some type
of control. He also explaind that a tower would not have prevented the
accident.
It sounds like an impressive briefing, but I am curious as to what
"control" is available at non-towererd airports?

Matt

FARs, pilot responsibility, Good Operating practices, Mk I eyeballs,
CTAF.

I take it that you do not fly?

I don't fly as much as I would like, but I've had my license since 1978.
* *I'll grant you a few of the FARs could be considered "control", but
not in the sense that most use the word. *Direction of turns, ROW, etc.,
constitute a very, very weak form of control, but with nobody there to
monitor it really is voluntary. *I don't consider the other items you
mention to be forms of control at all.

Matt

Why do you think that we need that much "control" in the first place?

Know the difference between pilots and Air Traffic Controllers?

1. If a pilot screws up, the pilot can die.

2. If an Air Traffic Controller screws up, a pilot can die.

We don't NEED a tower at most GA airports -- most of those are there for
training purposes for controllers. In fact, a "controller" "controls"
nothing -- (s)he is, in reality, a coordinator.

If the Swiss pilot of the Velocity had made an overhead approach *
instead of straight-in, he would have been behind my flight and I might
have been sitting at the end of that airport when he dropped in.

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.- Hide quoted text -

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Only partially correct. The Velocity initially called in that he was
landing on 33 but changed to 15 when all other traffic reported that
they were using 15. The wind was calm. He made a straight-in behind RV
Flight and caused Red Flight (SX-300s) to alter their pattern. Keith was
lead in Red Flight and saw it all.

Ok Now I am confused again, :)...

The velocity departed from Sebastian Fla, which is south of the field
where the crash happened. He would have been making a straight in on
33. If he did change his plan and land on 15 he would have had to
enter a left or right downwind. turn base and then final... Is it
because your squadran of Rv's might have got him a little rattled?
Did your group make a low pass before they landed? I am guessing they
probably do every time they come down for pancakes. I am not trying to
start a fuss but it does seem strange you did make the point to say
his straight in caused Keith and Red Flight to alter their pattern. It
sounds on face value like this was your sandbox and the Velocity was
an intruder... Jus curious ya know..

"Our sandbox?" No, but we do frequent their pancake breakfast with 20-30
airplanes, which does strain parking. We do not treat others as
"intruders." We also try to give others room in the pattern, so I really
do not know about the "rattle factor." According to other reports, the
Velocity pilot was a Swiss national, living near Sebastian and was
supposedly an experienced pilot.

The Velocity initially called in from the south, wanting to make a
straight-in for 33; however, everybody else was using 15, so he was so
informed. The RVs did overfly, some with smoke. I am not sure whether or
not they made more than one pass per flight. They broke left from the
overhead to downwind and landed.

The Velocity apparently circled wide and entered a straight-in for 15.
He did NOT enter a standard downwind pattern, otherwise the flights
would have adjusted their break to accommodate him. That is what Keith
did when he followed the Velocity.

I do not know why the Velocity pilot added full power once he left the
runway. Had he not done so, he might have ended up with a bent bird, but
that is about all, as the grass and rough terrain would have stopped him
pretty quickly. According to Keith, he was kicking up a lot of grass and
debris after he left the runway. It is even possible that his prop
impacted the ground and started to come apart.

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the explanation Orval. Since the Velocity is alot faster
then your RV's it is understandable he made a wider then normal
pattern, That would help with the flow of the pattern for sure. I
still don't fully understand your comments on him doing a "straight
in". It is not like he was on a 20 mile final,, or was he? As for
your " WE also try to give others room in the pattern" comes across
as,( we were here first so eat **** attitude). Most other pilots at
uncontrolled fields do what they can to give others room in the
pattern. I could be wrong here although the FAA will probably read
this as part of the investigation and they might draw a different
conclusion.

Just my opinion ya know.

Tailwinds,
Ben
Old March 7th 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
stol wrote:

On Mar 6, 9:05*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*stol wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:15*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,
*Matt Whiting wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

[...]

Well, Ben it seems here that YOU are the one with an attitude. Is it
toward formation flight, RVs or what? BTW -- I do not fly an RV, but the
"Velocity is NOT a lot faster than the RVs.

All I know about his straight-in is that he reported "straight in."

If I have an attitude here it is toward those insisting on flying
straight-in approaches -- especially when the traffic is heavy.

A formation doing the overhead break to downwind has an excellent view
of traffic and can adjust entry with precision.

Old March 7th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Mar 7, 5:16*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*stol wrote:
On Mar 6, 9:05*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*stol wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:15*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,
*Matt Whiting wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

[...]

Thanks again for the further explanation.

Tailwinds

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
N801BH
Old March 7th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Acepilot

My personal opinion is it is best NOT to do fly bys during a pancake
breakfast. It seems it just clutters the airspace at an already busy
space. I have personally had troubles because most every plane around a
fly in breakfast is faster than my 65 knot Cruise speed and I have
almost been run over from behind by somebody planning a fly by assuming
I will be on the ground before they get there. I think it is just poor
practice. If it weren't, why do they close the airspace during
scheduled airshows? If it weren't an issue, why not just keep the
airspace open (many airshow routines have a plane flying down the runway
before pulling up, etc. which looks suspiciously like a "fly by").

Scott

stol wrote:
On Mar 6, 9:05 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article
,

stol wrote:

On Mar 6, 12:15 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:

Old March 10th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

He explained that there is no such thing as an łuncontrolled airport,˛
that there are towered and untowered airports, but both have some type of
control. He also explaind that a tower would not have prevented the
accident.

It sounds like an impressive briefing, but I am curious as to what
"control" is available at non-towererd airports?

Matt

Exactly the same "control" as is available for highway traffic. You follow
a prescribed pattern so that traffic can be seen and avoided at the
untowered airport.

On the highway you try to stay on your side of the centerline, and make sure
no one is coming too closely when you cross it to pass someone.

In both cases the "control" requires the informed concensus of the users,
but there is control nonetheless.

Highflyer

PS:
2008 Pinckneyville Rec Aviation Flyin

The annual flyin time is coming around again! I finally got to where I
could find things in the hangar again, which is a sure indication that it is
time to start flyin preparations!

The local motels will be filling up fast again so you may want to get your
reservations in as soon as you can if you want a close motel room.

WHEN: May 16, 17, and 18 this year. Once again, it is the full weekend
prior to the Memorial Day official weekend. This has become the traditional
historical date for the flyin. It allows folks to plan well ahead to this
incredible trek. For many it becomes the cross country trip that they talk
about to everyone that will hold still long enough to listen.

WHE Pinckneyville DuQuoin Airport, Pinckneyville, Illinois. PJY is the
airport identifier. Put K in front if you have a fussy GPS. We are about
80 miles southeast of the Arch in St. Louis. There is a 4001 foot ( have to
be over 4000 feet for jets! ) north-south runway ( 18L – 36R ) with an 1800
foot grass runway parallel to the northern half.
( 18R – 36L ) . There is no taxiway. This an access taxiway perpendicular
to the runways. We do have instrument approachs again, but they are GPS
approachs only.

WHAT: The annual t here day get together of the diehards on the
rec.aviation newsgroups. Buddy rides all day and hangar flying all night.
Other entertainment as happens. Beer, soda, and good food. The PJY
barbeque is world renowned, as are the uniquely HOT Italian sausages served
on Thursday night. The Red Lady should be flying this year.

WHO: Pilots, about to be Pilots, wannabe Pilots, and anybody else who is
willing to put up with a bunch of wild eyed folks who talk about airplanes
and flying all day and all night.

COST: This is not one of those “break the bank” flyins. Highflyer and Mary
try to keep the costs in line so that we can have a good time without being
rich. We do that because a lot of people who come to the flyin own
airplanes. We all know that people who own an airplane are not rich
anymore! We try to collect $25 from everyone to defray the cost of the
beverages and the groceries. We do breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.
Usually we have baby back ribs, steak, and chicken on Saturday night.
Friday night we have something good. No one goes hungry. We do have
something for vegetarians.

ACCOMODATIONS: Pitch a tent next to your airplane if you like. There is no
charge for camping on the field. We have a couple of bathrooms, but no
showers. Generally, if someone really would like to shower one of the folks
in a motel can help you out. We do have a garden hose. There are places
you can park a camper or motorhome near the action. If you are really nice,
we can even run you out an extension cord for an electrical hookup. No
sewer hookups though.

If you want a motel there are several in the area now. The preferred flyin
motel is the Mainstreet Inn, in Pinckneyville. The lady who runs it always
puts up with our group graciously. One year she even shortsheeted every bed
in the place, for a small bribe!
Her phone number is 618-357-2128. The rates are quite reasonable.

A little fancier is the local Oxbow Bed and Breakfast. This is between the
airport and town, right on the edge of town. A number of our folks stay
there every year they come and speak very highly of the establishment.
Their phone number is 618-357-9839.

We always manage to arrange some kind of transportation to and from both of
these places. If they are full there are other motels in the area and
transportation can usually be managed with no particular problems.

HOW: Flying to PJY is the primo way to arrive. If that doesn’t work many
fly commercial to St. Louis and rent a car for the last 90 miles from the
airport. Whatever works for you works for us! Pinckneyville airport is
right on Illinois 127 just six miles south of the town of Pinckneyville.
Route 127 is exit 50 off of I-64. The airport is about 30 miles south of
I-64.

Please send an email to Mary at so that she can get some
idea how many steaks to buy for Saturday night dinner! It makes it a lot
easier when we have some idea of how many people to plan for meals.

Old March 10th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

He explained that there is no such thing as an łuncontrolled airport,˛
that there are towered and untowered airports, but both have some type of
control. He also explaind that a tower would not have prevented the
accident.

It sounds like an impressive briefing, but I am curious as to what
"control" is available at non-towererd airports?

Matt

Exactly the same "control" as is available for highway traffic. You follow
a prescribed pattern so that traffic can be seen and avoided at the
untowered airport.

On the highway you try to stay on your side of the centerline, and make sure
no one is coming too closely when you cross it to pass someone.

In both cases the "control" requires the informed concensus of the users,
but there is control nonetheless.

If it is voluntary, it isn't control in my book.

Matt
Old March 10th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

[...]

So do the towered airports you utilize mount anti aircraft guns or SAMS?
If not, then I think the controls there are no more or less
voluntary than the non-towered airports. My understanding is that the
people in the tower are there to coordinate not enforce. Same logic as
our road system. Small country lanes often have no signage. Traffic
volumes are higher, they have stop and yield signs. If the traffic
volume is high enough they get a light. During peak periods of traffic
they may get a cop on site directing traffic because that level of
coordination is required to keep transit times down and avoid mistakes.
The problem with pancake breakfasts and flyins at really small
airports is that the traffic volume rises to levels that would benefit
from coordination.

Charles