Any Recommendations for Noise Cancelling Headsets?

Old March 29th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Google Madness

Default Any Recommendations for Noise Cancelling Headsets?

I'm just learning to fly and right now my instructor loans me his set but
i'd like to have my own.
I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.
Can any of you give me a recommendation on...
- Features to look for
- Makes and Models
- Cheapest places to purchase

Thanks,
Gene

Old March 29th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

Google Madness wrote:
I'm just learning to fly and right now my instructor loans me his set but
i'd like to have my own.
I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.
Can any of you give me a recommendation on...
- Features to look for
- Makes and Models
- Cheapest places to purchase

Thanks,
Gene

I have David Clarks. I am not thrilled with them. They work ok. My
fiancee got lightspeeds. they are really nice.

I do want to know about these...
http://www.clarityaloft.com/

anyone have experience with them?
I think those are going to be my next pair. I am tired of the headaches
after flights - I think it is from the clarks squeezing my head. Not
sure though. I also want less weight on my head and more room above my
head.

Old March 30th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

http://www.lightspeedheadsets.com/in...&ProdID=6&HS=1

They're selling Lightspeed branded QFR Xcc ANR for $299. I tried the
OEM version of the same thing but I like the Lightspeed branded
better, probably due to the very soft leather head cushion the branded
version has.

Old March 30th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Mar 29, 12:09 pm, "Google Madness" wrote:
I'm just learning to fly and right now my instructor loans me his set but
i'd like to have my own.
I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.
Can any of you give me a recommendation on...
- Features to look for
- Makes and Models
- Cheapest places to purchase

Thanks,
Gene

The thing I hate about the headset market is that it's way over
priced. You can buy a set of isolated earmuffs (the kind ground
personnel use) for $20, a microphone for $20, a pair of ipod-esque
earbuds for another $20, and a roll of duct tape for 6 bucks. The
absolute cheapest pair of aviation headsets start at like $300. It
certainly doesn't COST upwards of $1000 to produce these headsets. It
costs that much because headset companies know they can charge those
amounts, and us pilots will buy them anyways. It kind of sucks, but
what can you do?

In the audiophile headphone market, the Sennheiser HD-580's (which I
own) were top of the line just a few years ago, and they cost me $150
when I bought them new. I saw a pair of ANR headphones at the Sharper
Image store a few months for like $25.

I'm hoping someday a company will see that a market exists for cheap,
well made headsets. It's totally possible for a nice DC X-11 quality
set to sell for $200 without a loss.

Old March 30th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

buttman wrote:
[...]

I agree 100%
It's not like they need to get FAA certification or anything. The
technology is no longer new.
Old March 30th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Google,

I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.

If that is your hard deck, the shop-branded derivatives of the
Lightspeed QFR XCc are what you need. Have a look at Marv Golden or
avshop.net. I'd go for the Lightspeed 20XLc though, which is a little
more expensive.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 30th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Buttman,

The
absolute cheapest pair of aviation headsets start at like $300.

That's just plain BS. Look again.

Also, passive headsets (your duct tape variant) in a small aircraft
don't make sense.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 30th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Google Madness

The QFR XCc looks to have a db rating no where near the 20XLc. ( Not to
mention they look kinda lame )
But as opposed to the 20XLc, How about the 15XLc to save the $60. What's
the opinion on that option?
Gene

Google,

Old March 30th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

The
absolute cheapest pair of aviation headsets start at like $300.

Only if y ou want noise cancelling. Passive ones start under a hundred.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old March 31st 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"buttman" wrote in message
ups.com

It certainly doesn't COST upwards of $1000 to produce these
headsets.

As if the cost of production were the driving force behind pricing...

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer