What soaring foods do you eat?

Old May 20th 05, 09:48 PM
For Example John Smith

Cliff bars
"ContestID67" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been trying to determine what foods work well for extended cross
country flying. It needs to taste good, give you energy, easy to eat
in flight, not too messy, filling, doesn't melt, etc.

What does everyone use?

- John

Old May 20th 05, 10:49 PM
Z Goudie

At 18:30 20 May 2005, Robin Birch wrote:

Bananas. Slow release energy, reasonably nice taste,
not too messy

Good grief John, have you never accidentally crushed
a banana in a cockpit pocket! An absolutely disgusting
mess if I recall. Get yourself some Fair Trade Geobars.

Old June 17th 05, 06:54 PM
ContestID67

I tried them. Kind of dry for me. But then that makes me drink.

Old June 17th 05, 06:56 PM
ContestID67

Report from the front - After my recent contest experience I tried all
sorts of things. Dried fruit seemed to work best for me. Dried
pineapple was my favorite. Apricots were good but kind of sticky.

A close second is Twizzlers. Tastes good, sugar for energy, not messy.

Old June 18th 05, 02:24 AM
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

How long do unopened bars last on the shelf? I'm assuming leaving them
in the glider during the hot months is not a good idea.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

If you read their web site, they have a "consume by date" on the individual
package. I examined one that had somehow escaped such consumption and had
resided in a pocket of my survival vest for a year. It was still edible
though a bit dry and shriveled. At ~ 1$ each, they're a cheap lunch.

I'll stop at REI and pick up a few to try. They seem well suited to our
purposes, and 4 months is plenty long enough.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old June 18th 05, 05:46 AM
David Norinsky

I usually eat a decent breakfast early, a bunch of Cantelope before I take
off, bring plenty of water and eat Cliff bars in flight (Chocolate Chip are
my favorite).
The cliff bars are filling and taste decent (it ain't a RibEye but it'll
do). 1 bar every 2-3 hours and I'm good for however long the flight is.

Dave Norinsky