Hangar rent

Old November 17th 03, 03:28 PM
Dan Servais

I am paying $150/mo for a T-hanger, asphalt floor, manual door, no
electricity, county owned at a class D controlled airport. Yearly
lease, no heat. They plow up to the door (snow!)...

Dan Servais N5777U
PA28-140 Based at Janesville, WI JVL

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:36:00 -0500, "Kobra"
wrote:

I don't know if this has been covered before, but how much is everyone
paying for their hangars and what is provided?

Mine is a T-hanger with a dirt floor, free electric and manual doors that
are a bear to open and close. The hangar is damp of course, but not too
bad.

When we first secured it the rent was 240.00 and no lease. A few months
later it went up to 280.00 and no lease. Just last month we got our fuel
bill and the hangar rent went up again to 300.00 and the owner refuses to
give us a lease.

That's a 60.00/mo. increase in less than a year. The rumor has it that the
owner is going to keep raising the rent until people start moving out and
there are a few empty hangars. At that point he feels they will be priced
properly.

My question is: at what price would you walk out of a dirt floor T-hangar
with free electric and stiff manual doors? There are no other local
airports with similar hangars that are empty. A tie-down goes for 65.00/mo.

Kobra

Old December 1st 03, 03:12 AM
Paul

You guys need to move to North Carolina. I have a hangar on a private
grass strip, and it costs only $25 per month. I couldn't even conceive
of paying $300 or up per month, thats just rediculous.

Pauly

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old December 1st 03, 06:19 PM
Craig

Paul wrote in message ...
You guys need to move to North Carolina. I have a hangar on a private
grass strip, and it costs only $25 per month. I couldn't even conceive
of paying $300 or up per month, thats just rediculous.

I'd only have to take a 60% reduction in pay to move there.....

Craig C.

Old December 1st 03, 08:14 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul wrote:

You guys need to move to North Carolina. I have a hangar on a private
grass strip, and it costs only $25 per month.

Only a few more years and I'm there. Are you close to Asheville, perhaps? Is
the airport on a sectional?

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 1st 03, 09:46 PM
Jay Honeck

You guys need to move to North Carolina. I have a hangar on a private
grass strip, and it costs only $25 per month. I couldn't even conceive
of paying $300 or up per month, thats just rediculous.

I'd only have to take a 60% reduction in pay to move there.....

Yeah, well, if everything else costs proportionally the same, you'd only
need to make 8% of what you're earning now... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 03, 11:53 PM
Larry Smith

"Paul" wrote in message
You guys need to move to North Carolina. I have a hangar on a private
grass strip, and it costs only $25 per month. I couldn't even conceive
of paying $300 or up per month, thats just rediculous.

Pauly

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

I flew through West Virginia this summer. There were towns there where
hangar rent was $25 a month, but the economy was dismal. I landed at one
beautiful mountaintop strip where only one active aircraft stayed, a Cessna
172. The other aircraft were hangar queens with falling-down hangars. It
was sad to see. The 172 owner said his hangar rent was $100 per year.

I live in WNC. Hangar rent here is high, especially at AVL. Where is
this NC hangar paradise?

Old December 2nd 03, 12:51 AM
Ray Andraka

IIRC, it went from $50/mo to $85/mo in 1992 or 1993, and back then the ramp
plowing was random. Sometimes it would be plowed pretty close to the
airplane, others you'd have to shovel out a 50' path between the airplane and
the shovelled lane. $110/mo is ridiculous. Even PVD, which doesn't want us
there, is only $52/mo for tiedowns, and they'll often do what they can to
stuff you in a hangar if there is severe weather predicted.

Bob Noel wrote:

In article k.net,
"Colin Kingsbury" wrote:

You at Bedford, Bob?

yes sir.

This is my first season owning there, I'm at the
Tower
Ramp tiedowns, which cost $110/mo for a 172.

well, the tie-downs had been $85/month since before 1994.

Don't forget that $500 also gets you the chance to pay $75 to get
fingerprinted, and for no extra money the guards at the air force base
will
harass you when you try to drive up if your auto inspection sticker is
out
of date.

don't forget to buckle your seatbelt.

(actually, I don't need to get on HAFB to get to my hangar).

As for how good a job Massport does plowing, I just hope they do better
than
the state does on 128.

They do. This is my first year in a T-hangar, but massport did
a decent job plowing the tie-downs the years I had my airplane
on the east ramp. Note that they can cut your ropes if they
plow when your airplane is not there. Shovelling out what
isn't plowed is no fun - I used to use a snowblower to (carefully)
clear out the airplane.

--
Bob Noel

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old December 2nd 03, 01:43 PM
M.E. Borner

At HPN (White Plains, NY) the deal is a little different. $72,000 gets
you a 15 year lease on a 45' T, concrete floor, electricity. After the
lease is up I get to pay again for another 15 years. That works out to
about $400/mo. not counting that they have the use of your money
during the lease term. When I moved from tie downs to the hanger the
tie down rate was $180/mo. but I understand it has gone up twice since
9/11. I think it is now around $240. Since they were built (about 4
years ago) there has been a long waiting list for hangers and I think
only a few have changed hands - I was one of the luck ones. There were
rumors of building some more but I have not heard or seen any activity
on that in a couple of years - probably another project victim of 9-11
aviation blues.

Old December 4th 03, 01:08 AM
Dan Thomas

The guy in rural North Carolina is right. Living in the boondocks
means making less money, but other things more than make up for it.
I'm in rural Alberta, Canada. Paved and lighted 3000' airport. I
bought an old hangar for $1000, gravel floor, doors that work. Lease
on the land is 100/yr, taxes are $75. So $175/yr works out to
$15/month. Airport's 2 1/2 miles from home. I can bicycle it. I work
there, too.
But it needs new metal roofing. $500. Almost as much as some of
you guys pay for a month's rent. Awful, ain't it?

Dan