Power FLARM portable reports?

Old December 9th 11, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Power FLARM portable reports?

The long awaited Power FLARM portable was delivered to customers some
weeks ago but I have seen no reports about how well it it performing.
Is this just because the soaring season is over for most US pilots?
Does anyone have some test result or impressions to share.

Andy
Old December 9th 11, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Dec 9, 6:46*am, Andy wrote:
The long awaited Power FLARM portable was delivered to customers some
weeks ago but I have seen no reports about how well it it performing.
Is this just because the soaring season is over for most US pilots?
Does anyone have some test result or impressions to share.

Andy

Andy I rented a portable unit during the Region 10 contest.
Unfortunately Frank Paynter was the only hold over from Uvalde who
still was carrying their FLARM at Region 10. It did give me a few
warnings in the start cylinder which were appreciated. I also saw
Frank on the unit as he passed over me while I was landing out on Day
2. That was not quite so appreciated Once units are available and
I have enough change in the piggy bank I'll probably buy one. Several
of the other guys in our club have them on order. Nothing like peer
pressure.
Old December 9th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Dec 9, 4:46*am, Andy wrote:
The long awaited Power FLARM portable was delivered to customers some
weeks ago but I have seen no reports about how well it it performing.
Is this just because the soaring season is over for most US pilots?
Does anyone have some test result or impressions to share.

Andy

Andy,

I did some testing with 3 Portable units in September 2011. These
units did not have the current modifications to the antennas or the
boards.

I installed one in my Ventus B, it was power by the LX1606 and data
was passed to a Craggy Aero Ultimate Le thru the LX1606.

Results,

1. They will have to be installed on Ram Arms or ?? in many
gliders. Mounting on the Glare shield was a problem in most gliders as
the antennas would touch the Canopy.
2. The ranges was 2 NM for flarm targets sometimes it would go the
as far as 4 NM but this was not consistent. ( remember these units
did not have the current mods)
3. The warnings seems to work well, when I made close passes on other
gliders.
4. I really liked the SeeYou Display on my Craggy Aero Ultimate Le.
The gliders could be seen and colored by below, above or within 300'
of altitude. Climb rates and altitudes were shown. Contest IDs could
be assign to the glider. I was calling out altitude and climb rates to
other gliders and they would say "How did you know that"
5. In about 20 hours of flight testing I saw one ADS-B and many Mode
S on the PowerFlarm Display. In my flying area of Montague, CA
most were +99 above.
6. I attached the additional remote antenna in my Ventus but really
could't notice any difference.
7. Did not get a change to thermal with large numbers of gliders, but
with 2 or 3 in a thermal with no closure on eachother no warnings were
seen.
8. I was amazed how hard it was to find a glider at 2NM even when I
knew his altitude and position.

http://www.craggyaero.com/powerflarm.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com