Power FLARM question

Old March 20th 12, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Default Power FLARM question

Do users of Power FLARM need connection with flight computers like
Winpilot, XCSoar, LK8000, etc, to show FLARM traffic on the moving
map?

Old March 21st 12, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:07:48 PM UTC-7, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
Do users of Power FLARM need connection with flight computers like
Winpilot, XCSoar, LK8000, etc, to show FLARM traffic on the moving
map?

yes
Old March 21st 12, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Mar 21, 9:37*am, Morgan wrote:
On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:07:48 PM UTC-7, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
Do users of Power FLARM need connection with flight computers like
Winpilot, XCSoar, LK8000, etc, to show FLARM traffic on the moving
map?

yes

Another Flarm question for US pilots:

If you can afford either a Power Flarm or a Transponder, which one
would you purchase?

Thanks,

Mike
Old March 21st 12, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO

FLARM.
Old March 21st 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Mar 21, 1:21*pm, Mike C wrote:
On Mar 21, 9:37*am, Morgan wrote:

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:07:48 PM UTC-7, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
Do users of Power FLARM need connection with flight computers like
Winpilot, XCSoar, LK8000, etc, to show FLARM traffic on the moving
map?

yes

Another Flarm question for US pilots:

If you can afford either a Power Flarm or a Transponder, which one
would you purchase?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm confused, I already have a transponder!
Old March 21st 12, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

I think that is highly dependent on where you are and what your greatest concern is.

If you were going to be flying in the Minden/Reno/Truckee areas or a similar congested airspace, then without a doubt I'd say buy the transponder as the airline traffic needs to see you on TCAS and ATC needs to know you're there.

If you're in a more remote location without much GA or Commercial Aviation and you're more concerned about glider/glider interaction, then Flarm is the clear winner.

Both is clearly optimal.

Morgan

Old March 21st 12, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

We are developing a simple and low cost device (we named it
SoarTronic to add Bluetooth communication of FLARM traffic
information into European version of FLARM units. It also allows
task declaration and log file download. It is connected into RJ45
connector, and it draws operating voltage (40mA) from 3.3 V that
FLARM provides for external displays.

This is a nonprofit project we started to get FLARM traffic
information available in our club gliders. Since club members have
many types of flight computers, Bluetooth was chosen as
communication method. Price for this device is 30 EUR + delivery
from Finland.

If you think that this unit is useful with Power FLARM please let me
know. We hope to get 30 orders to cover the cost. Enclosed couple
links showing how to connect and use SoarTronic. These videos
show XCSoar runnig in Android phone, but it should work with any
device with BT, and with any flight computer SW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7EkWwQhQzU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJPz65ePozo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WLD0td0pMo

Old March 21st 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Sean,
We already have some orders. Couple clubs will install this in
their entire fleet with FLARMs.
Please e-mail me your plane call-sign, and select your 4 digit BT
password, and your details. We will name your SoarTronic unit
according to your call-sign, so that it is easy to pair with your
computer device. I will inform you about the payment and
delivery. Tomorrow we will test the prototype for VHF radio
disturbances, and if the result is acceptable we will order factory
made PCBs and other components.

Hytoenen wrote:
We are developing a simple and low cost device (we named

it
SoarTronic to add Bluetooth communication of FLARM

traffic
information into European version of FLARM units. It also

allows
task declaration and log file download. It is connected into

RJ45
connector, and it draws operating voltage ( FLARM provides

Old March 21st 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

Hello Kimmo,

Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
We are developing a simple and low cost device (we named it
SoarTronic to add Bluetooth communication of FLARM traffic
information into European version of FLARM units. It also allows
task declaration and log file download. It is connected into RJ45
connector, and it draws operating voltage (40mA) from 3.3 V that
FLARM provides for external displays.

This is a nonprofit project we started to get FLARM traffic
information available in our club gliders. Since club members have
many types of flight computers, Bluetooth was chosen as
communication method. Price for this device is 30 EUR + delivery
from Finland.

Just curious, are you using a module like this:
http://www.brunwinkel.de/elektronik/ics/btm400_6b/

I just build a device at my own design that meets your description. As I am
working nonprofit too, there is no competition. If interested, we can share
information. I have a dealer in Hong Kong who sells the modules for ~8,- ?
with free shipping. With a MAX3232 for the RS232, printed circuit board and
casing, I think your price is realistic.

Nice featu as the module is programmable, I set it up with the
registration of the glider as Bluetooth name.

Regards
Chris