Warning Scam

Old November 7th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley[_2_]

Default Warning Scam

I am trying to sell my glider which I advertised on various gliding
websites and e-mail correspondence with a potential buyer went as
follows (in reverse order of course);

Hi,

Thanks for the response...I am Happy with the price and its present
condition.

Now I will like to inform you that the payment will be made by a
certified check.... So I will need you full details in order to send
the you the check....

I need your details as follows....

YOUR FULL NAME......
YOUR FULL ADDRESS......
YOUR PHONE NUMBERS......( HOME & OFFICE )
YOUR LAST PRICE.......

I await your details as fast as possible so the check can be issued
and sent to you on time....

More so I will like to notify you that the amount on the check that
will be sent to you will be more than your asking price....So the
excess on the check will be for shipping arrangement after you have
deduct your asking price from the Money..

Hope to read from you soon.

--- On Fri, 6/11/09,

Subject: Reply To Your Ad at the
www.segelflug.de-Kleinanzeigen
To: "Mark Packer"
Date: Friday, 6 November, 2009, 13:57

Hello Mark

The price is mentioned on the ad but for your convenience I enclose
again
the list with all the items included in the price which is also
mentioned. If you
have any queries do not hesitate to come back to me. The price is
quite competitive
if you compare it with similar gliders for sale at the moment which do
not have the
same instrumentation and equipment as my glider.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards
Bruno

Date: Wednesday, 4 November, 2009, 14:04

Hello

Yes glider is still for sale, but I must mention that I have some
enquiries, so if you are interested you will have to act on it.
Enclosed a few more photos of the Instrumentation (unfortunately not
to sharp but they will give you an idea)

Appreciate if you could give me you full name as well.

Es ist moeglich auf Deutsch zu korrespondieren.
Il est possible de faire la correspondance en francais.

Best Regards

Bruno

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:31 AM
To: "undisclosed-recipients:"
www.segelflug.de-Kleinanzeigen

You received the following reply to your ad. You can use the reply-function of your e-mail programm to answer. Du hast die folgende Nachricht auf dein Angebot / deine Suche bekommen, du kannst direkt mit reply-to deines E-Mail Programmes antworten.

_____________________________

Let me know if you still have it onsale..
�

Old November 7th 09, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Any time you see "More so I will like to notify you that the amount on
the check that
will be sent to you will be more than your asking price", and zero
questions about the item you are selling, you can be sure it's a
scam.

They will send a very real looking money order which your bank will
probably cash. You will get the money, send the difference to the
scammer, and then the check will bounce about 3 weeks later...
probably after you have sent some cash and possibly the item to the
scammer. Sometimes they even have someone else pick up the item (they
are also getting scammed btw).

I always pretend I have gone along with it and tell them the money is
on the way... as well as the item. I figure at least I can encourage
them to spend beyond their means while thinking they have extra money
on the way. Human nature is to spend the money before it's actually
in hand. Plus stringing them along for a month is fun too.

Old November 7th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

This is probably one of the best "scam the scammer" stories that I
have ever read:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Old November 9th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

I once had two scammers at the same time send me fake money orders. I
played along with each of them, pretended I cashed the checks, packed
up the item, etc, never mentioning the other scammer.

Then just as they were sure it was a home run, I started intentionally
mixing up their email addresses and names... slipping the other
scammer's email address or name into the replies.

As time went on I intentionally replied to each of their emails, but
to the other scammer's email address. I was sure to include the email
address for both scammers in the email as if I thought it was the same
person... except I made sure that where I told one person I was
sending the money was NOT him but the other guy.

They BOTH thought that I had fell for the scam completely, except they
each thought I had accidentally sent the money to a rival scammer...
at this point they each started fighting with each other over who had
the money and I got dropped from the conversation.

This was really entertaining to watch!

Scam [email protected] Soaring 0 April 28th 09 09:33 PM
FAA EEO SCAM FAA EEO General Aviation 0 October 6th 07 04:43 PM
SCAM [email protected] Soaring 0 August 26th 05 12:26 AM
Scam Y/N ? Stuart King Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 13th 03 11:52 PM
Possible Scam Warning Leanne Naval Aviation 0 July 9th 03 06:17 PM