KNS-80/KNI-520 encoder bad?

Old September 6th 04, 05:45 PM

Default KNS-80/KNI-520 encoder bad?

OK... question for those in the know. I've got a KNI-520 connected to a
KNS-80 RNAV. The DME, localizer, and RNAV *distance* work fine, but the VOR needle
doesn't deflect properly recently. If you try to center it, it won't stay in the
center, but rather will twitch from pegged on one side to pegged on the other with a
very small (5 degrees) change in the OBS ring. I'm thinking that since the head
doesn't have a NAV converter, but rather tells the KNS-80 where the OBS is with
encoder lines, that one of those lines might be broken/intermittent. That would mean
it would think the head is in 1 of 4 (2?) positions, rather than somewhere in between.

Thoughts on this? Anyone fixed such a thing? I haven't torn into the wiring
yet and suspect it's intermittent (read: difficult to find).

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old September 6th 04, 10:18 PM
Jay Masino

OK... question for those in the know. I've got a KNI-520 connected to a
KNS-80 RNAV. The DME, localizer, and RNAV *distance* work fine, but the VOR needle
doesn't deflect properly recently. If you try to center it, it won't stay in the
center, but rather will twitch from pegged on one side to pegged on the other with a
very small (5 degrees) change in the OBS ring. I'm thinking that since the head
doesn't have a NAV converter, but rather tells the KNS-80 where the OBS is with
encoder lines, that one of those lines might be broken/intermittent. That would mean
it would think the head is in 1 of 4 (2?) positions, rather than somewhere in between.
Thoughts on this? Anyone fixed such a thing? I haven't torn into the wiring
yet and suspect it's intermittent (read: difficult to find).

I have this exact setup. I'm trying to remember, but I think mine got
twitchy at one point. If I remember correctly, it was mostly twitchy in
RNAV mode (as opposed to VOR mode). I think that's when I replaced my VOR
antenna, and it got a lot better. You're correct about the KNI-520 not
being a NAV converter. The KNS-80 send left/right signals to the head,
not composite video. Some of your other assertions may be valid, but
you'll have do dig into it before you'll know for sure. Good luck.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old September 7th 04, 03:27 AM
David Johnson

Check to see if your KNS80 has Mod 10 (should be stamped on the
back). I don't have the details, but this has to do with inter-
mittent contact between the internal circuit boards. Loose internal
contacts will produce the effects you mention. I found it cheaper
to buy a yellow tagged KNS80 on eBay than to fix my old one - but
it needed other repairs as well.

David Johnson
Old September 7th 04, 01:49 PM

When I bought this from ebay awhile back, I checked on the mods. It
supposedly has 1-4 and 6-11 (I don't have it here in front of me). It just checked
out in June on the IFR certification (go figure!). I'm guessing it's one of the
connectors on the back.

It could be in the radio, but I doubt it's a bad VOR receiver/converter, since
the RNAV works. I think the radio's just not getting the right X/Y encoder signal
from the OBS knob, so it doesn't know where to put the needle.

-Cory

Old September 7th 04, 06:27 PM
Bill Hale

Cory,

I would send U an indicator to try. Then I would know whether
the indicator worked. I'm not sure I can parse your email adx.

Bill Hale

Mode C Indication Jeff Owning 9 May 5th 04 03:35 AM
FS: Narco AT-50A Transponder with ACK Encoder JR Home Built 0 April 29th 04 11:33 AM
Altitude encoder Chad Lemmen Owning 9 August 23rd 03 01:13 AM