hangar doors

Old November 8th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

Default hangar doors

"Grumman-581" wrote in message ...
: "Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
: news : You do, however, have to inspect the cables regularly to make sure that
: they are not fraying. Racing driver Mark Martin almost lost his Citation
: when the cables broke just after he had wheeled the jet into his hangar.
:
: In a previous hangar, one of the cables came loose and the door dropped...
: Jumped the track and swung inwards... I had my boat parked in from of my
: wing and I was crossing behind the boat... It pushed the boat backwards and
: the swim platform pinned me against the wall... When they fall, they make a
: pretty damn loud sound though... I've decided that if I ever build my own
: hangar, I'm going to go with the sliding multi-fold fiberglass panel doors
: instead... They are light enough that you don't need a motorized opener, so
: they're perfect if you ever lose power and still want to go flying...
: They're translucent, so they let a lot of light in also...

I watch the cables and they look fine. The latest doors are using nylon straps which looks pretty good...

Good point about the power issue. I have wondered what I would do to open the door if the power was out...

Old November 8th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Dorsey

My hanger has sliding doors. When I arrive at the airport, if one of
my next door hanger neighbors has his doors open I have to wait until
he closes one of them to get my plane in / out.

On 6 Nov 2006 11:02:08 -0800, "Tater" wrote:

just from a non-pilots angle, whats the reason for the hangar doors to
be the way they are? I mean the 2 part folding types. Is there some
advantage to them? why dont we make car garages the same way?

Old November 8th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
My hanger has sliding doors. When I arrive at the airport, if one of
my next door hanger neighbors has his doors open I have to wait until
he closes one of them to get my plane in / out.

I've been in those hangars, but I've also been in the
hangars that have vertically folding panels that allow the
door to turn a corner and move in along the side of the
aircraft on overhead curved tracks. There's not as much
free space, but no problem with the neighbors.

And of course, some hangars (such as the one my airplane is in) have
half-width sliding doors. It's a T-hangar, and the back of the hangar is
exactly half the width of the front. When you open the doors, the two
halves of the sliding doors come to rest over each other at the back of the
opposing T-hangar, avoiding blocking anyone *and* avoiding consuming any
space within the hangar.

Old November 9th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

".Blueskies." wrote in message
. ..
I watch the cables and they look fine. The latest doors
are using nylon straps which looks pretty good...

Yeah, the nylon strap systems seem a lot more sturdy than the ones on the
hangar I'm renting... My hangar has the electric motor and winch mounted
inside the hangar back towards the 'T' and quite a few pullies and cables to
make everything hopefully line up right... It creaks and groans during the
opening and closing process... The systems with the motor driving a common
shaft that runs the width of the door near the bottom of the door seem
considerably simplier and less prone to problems...

Good point about the power issue. I have wondered what I
would do to open the door if the power was out...

Well, I have refrigerator in my hangar and it is stocked with beer and
Cokes... I think it would be time to switch from drinking Cokes to drinking
beer and just wait for the power to come back on... If I was really
desperate, I guess I could go get a generator and power the motor and
winch... Kind of depends upon whether I was going flying or coming back, I
guess...

Old November 9th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nrp

A lot of cable driven systems have limited life because the pulleys and
drums are too small. There should be cable thimbles etc wherever the
cable attaches to something to prevent the local forces or motions from
crushing or abrading the cable. I have heard of a person being killed
by a falling hangar door.

Old November 10th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tater

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
Caution, boys and girls.

It has been a few months since the last Tater sighting, but if you
remember, this one has the characteristic makings of trolldom [...]

No, I don't remember. Perhaps you could refresh our collective memory?

yep, thats me

Checking Google, I found only 19 posts *total* from that individual in this
newsgroup. I admit, I did not read every single one, but I skimmed the
excerpts in Google, and read about a half-dozen of the ones that seemed most
promisingly troll-like, and found nothing that I could classify as trollish
behavior.

and a few posts on some of the other aviation groups. yes, I admit that
my post at times do look trollish, but I suppose that could come from
the frustrations of trying to find infor with google (and gettting
1,000,000 results to wade through)

Are you sure you've got the right guy? He hasn't started many threads, he
doesn't appear to post all that many articles, and what he does post seems
just about as relevant as anything the rest of us posts (maybe even more so
in some cases ). Just how much of a troll could he possibly be?

heh, thanks. My intent is not to troll, but sometimes I get fed up with
pilots complaining about the loss of airfields and the dwindling
numbers of GA then mention that they spent a kilobuck on upgrading to
glass cockpit.

I believe Morgan was one of the people who think that only people with
lots of money to throw away should be pilots, then gripes that yet
another GA airport gets closed down.

Old November 10th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Tater" wrote

I believe Morgan was one of the people who think that only people with
lots of money to throw away should be pilots, then gripes that yet
another GA airport gets closed down.

Talk about remembering the wrong guy!!!

Not me. Not even close.

I remembers saying tader shouldn't to one of your posts. Something about
wanting to fly in an airplane with a windup rubber-band, or something cheeeeep
like that. You whimper about wanting to fly without any money at alllll.
--
Jim in NC