A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Avare

Old April 1st 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Avare

Oops posted before finishing my point, I would go for those ADS-B receivers before a Scout. They have better antennas and receive performance.

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 7:00:00 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 6:25:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Slightly off topic: my glider is equipped with Trig adsb-out and I have been searching for an adsb-in traffic display. The best solution I've found is a Scout adsb-in ($200) which links via wifi to Foreflight on my iphone.. I need Foreflight anyway for other flying, and have an iphone, so don't count those as a cost. I would prefer to install one of the beautiful Flarm traffic displays in my panel, but they don't accept anything except proprietary Flarm data. I wonder why they are so restrictive. I suspect the Flarm people are intentionally being obstructive, to deter adoption of adsb and encourage purchase of Flarm.

Oh yes conspiracy theories. And if you read other recent threads here you'll hopefully see it's not quite that simple.

Foreflight is great, there are no-end of choices of ADS-B In receivers. Starting with uAvionix Sentry, Appareo Stratus, or Stratux if you are technical and want to play with stuff.

If you install a dual-link ADS-B receiver (which you should) make sure the TT22 is set to transmit both the 1090ES In and UAT In capability codes.

Old April 1st 19, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Avare

Slightly off topic: my glider is equipped with Trig adsb-out and I have been searching for an adsb-in traffic display. The best solution I've found is a Scout adsb-in ($200) which links via wifi to Foreflight on my iphone.. I need Foreflight anyway for other flying, and have an iphone, so don't count those as a cost. I would prefer to install one of the beautiful Flarm traffic displays in my panel, but they don't accept anything except proprietary Flarm data. I wonder why they are so restrictive. I suspect the Flarm people are intentionally being obstructive, to deter adoption of adsb and encourage purchase of Flarm.

Oh yes conspiracy theories. And if you read other recent threads here you'll hopefully see it's not quite that simple.

Foreflight is great, there are no-end of choices of ADS-B In receivers. Starting with uAvionix Sentry, Appareo Stratus, or Stratux if you are technical and want to play with stuff.

If you install a dual-link ADS-B receiver (which you should) make sure the TT22 is set to transmit both the 1090ES In and UAT In capability codes.

Hi Daryl, Yes, I do have the conspiracy theory that I mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions for receivers, but what I want is a panel-mounted traffic display (like the ones for Flarm) that will accept data from some cheap adsb receiver like the Scout.

Old April 1st 19, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Avare

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 7:06:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Slightly off topic: my glider is equipped with Trig adsb-out and I have been searching for an adsb-in traffic display. The best solution I've found is a Scout adsb-in ($200) which links via wifi to Foreflight on my iphone. I need Foreflight anyway for other flying, and have an iphone, so don't count those as a cost. I would prefer to install one of the beautiful Flarm traffic displays in my panel, but they don't accept anything except proprietary Flarm data. I wonder why they are so restrictive. I suspect the Flarm people are intentionally being obstructive, to deter adoption of adsb and encourage purchase of Flarm.

Hi Daryl, Yes, I do have the conspiracy theory that I mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions for receivers, but what I want is a panel-mounted traffic display (like the ones for Flarm) that will accept data from some cheap adsb receiver like the Scout.

I want to date Scarlett Johansson. Don't see that happening either. Probably good reasons in both cases.

The ADS-B combined FLARM display issues are touched on here. https://groups..google.com/forum/#!t...ng/Y6mGy2DUnps

Old April 1st 19, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Avare

"I want to date Scarlett Johansson. Don't see that happening either. Probably good reasons in both cases."

Lol, I too want to date Scarlett, But thank you for all of the technical expertise! More than you know, I have learned from you! Thank you.

CH
Old April 1st 19, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Avare

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 7:20:07 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Slightly off topic: my glider is equipped with Trig adsb-out and I have been searching for an adsb-in traffic display. The best solution I've found is a Scout adsb-in ($200) which links via wifi to Foreflight on my iphone. I need Foreflight anyway for other flying, and have an iphone, so don't count those as a cost. I would prefer to install one of the beautiful Flarm traffic displays in my panel, but they don't accept anything except proprietary Flarm data. I wonder why they are so restrictive. I suspect the Flarm people are intentionally being obstructive, to deter adoption of adsb and encourage purchase of Flarm.

I want to date Scarlett Johansson. Don't see that happening either. Probably good reasons in both cases.

The ADS-B combined FLARM display issues are touched on here. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/Y6mGy2DUnps

How would Ms Johansson help with an adsb traffic display?
Old April 1st 19, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Avare

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 10:58:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The ADS-B combined FLARM display issues are touched on here. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/Y6mGy2DUnps

Who is Scarlett Johansson - and what is dating?
Old April 1st 19, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Avare

Scarlett must really know how to tow a trailer.
Old April 1st 19, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Avare

Some of you might have seen a post on FB where I compared flying warbirds to dating super models, sounds much better than it is. Haven't dated Scarlett, but have flown lots of hours in warbirds, bottom line, they are just an airplane...
Old April 1st 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default Avare

She would call out the traffic, because I sure wouldn't be looking at the traffic display!
Old April 2nd 19, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Avare

On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 11:27:29 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:

She would call out the traffic, because I sure wouldn't be looking at the traffic display!

I'd hope Scarlett might sing out traffic advisories. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Qu7iJ7Y2k