Does a Cessna 152 have an afterburner?

Old October 18th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Does a Cessna 152 have an afterburner?

"RK Henry" wrote

That's what I was taught years ago in primary training: Test the mag
switch as part of EVERY shutdown. I still follow that routine.

You never know when some fool is going to be messing with the prop
while the airplane is parked.

Explorers at OSH are not allowed to ever touch a prop, while helping a pilot
move an airplane, because of that fact.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 18th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

About 50 mechanics are killed or injured by props every year
because they have to work near running engine to do some of
their work.

I always cringe when I see people leaning on a prop.

Old October 18th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Jim Macklin wrote:
About 50 mechanics are killed or injured by props every year
because they have to work near running engine to do some of
their work.

Cite? That seems rather high.

Although I will admit to slamming myself in the chest with one. That
left a bruise....

Please no flames, I learned my lesson...now I only deal with jets. g
Old October 18th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Jets suck up a few mechanics too.

I looked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics and if I read the
data correctly, 97 workers, not pilots were killed by
airplanes.

. ..

Old October 18th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Jim Macklin wrote:
Jets suck up a few mechanics too.

That's why I don't wrench. g In fact, I pretty much stay away from
completely assembled engines unless they are installed on an aircraft
that I am PIC of.

I looked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics and if I read the
data correctly, 97 workers, not pilots were killed by
airplanes.

But that doesn't meant propellers, just aircraft in general, right? I
remember a few years ago at ORD, a guy driving the tug got run over. Or
maybe sucked up. Can't remember.
Old October 18th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I do remember the instruction I got at Spartan when I got my
A&P. Looking for the exact stats on-line is a little time
consuming, since the search terms need to be general enough
to find the data and selective enough that you don't get a
lot of boating accidents.

Since for any person, only one prop strike accident is one
too many, whether nationally it is 2 or 1 a week or just
once a month, be careful.

www.firstgov.gov www.bls.gov
. ..

Old October 18th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
About 50 mechanics are killed or injured by props every year
because they have to work near running engine to do some of
their work.

I always cringe when I see people leaning on a prop.

I once caught a 12 year old boy pulling a prop though at OSH. I read him the
riot act, while telling him what could happen.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 18th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

They should make cast iron airplanes for "flight line
decoys" and put guards on the real airplanes. Yes, we need
kids to see, touch and learn about airplanes and become
pilots. But please, parents, watch your kids. I caught a
five year old, unattended ay a flying in Pratt, KS chinning
himself on the pitot tube of a homebuilt.

Old October 18th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

I've found myself running around keeping kids from touching props at our
local aviation events. I ended up putting signs on all the props. A simple
"Please do not touch propellors" seems to be pretty effective. And in the
cases where that didn't work, a simple, matter-of-fact explanation of the
possible consequences always did the trick. It actually resulted in some of
the kids warning others.

mike

Old October 18th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Jim Macklin wrote:
Double safety. Idle cutoff valves can also leak, primers
can leak and they by-pass the carb in some engines.

Mystery solved. Thanks Jim.