Does Lycoming make any sense?

Old October 20th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Does Lycoming make any sense?

I just spoke with Lycoming regarding my very high fuel flow. Recently
I've had a problem where I'm getting almost double my normal fuel flow
at idle even with the mixture at the edge of cut-off. I suspected a
servo but called Lycoming. They said I may have a nozzel with a
blockage and the other nozzles are streaming because of it.
Does this make any sense? Could a blockage cause an *INCREASE* in fuel
flow?
I have a JPI fuel transducor wheel that measures fuel flow that has
shown to be very accurate.

-Robert

Old October 20th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

I'd do a flow test then clean all injectors and do another flow test. Just
have some help and extinguishers around as already mentioned.

Get your hands on 4 baby food jars with lids.
Poke 3 holes in each lid, center large hole for the injector nozzle, 2
outside holes for a piece of stiff wire to fashion into a hanger. (and to
vent air)
Weigh each empty set up, record empty weights.
Insert nozzles into center holes, screw jar onto cover.
Run boost pump after your helpers have been awakened and armed with
extinguishers.
Weigh each jar, compare net fuel weights.
Clean, lather, rinse, repeat.
Jim

Old October 20th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Stan Prevost

Sounds like they didn't understand that you are observing the high fuel flow
on an in-line true flowmeter rather than their pressure-based panel meter.

ps.com...

Old October 20th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Stan Prevost wrote:
Sounds like they didn't understand that you are observing the high fuel flow
on an in-line true flowmeter rather than their pressure-based panel meter.

That's what I thought but I reenforced what I was saying several times.
I really just don't want to send a 600 hr fuel servo for O/H for $2K if
it doesn't need it.

-Robert

Old October 20th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Emily

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I just spoke with Lycoming regarding my very high fuel flow. Recently
I've had a problem where I'm getting almost double my normal fuel flow
at idle even with the mixture at the edge of cut-off. I suspected a
servo but called Lycoming. They said I may have a nozzel with a
blockage and the other nozzles are streaming because of it.
Does this make any sense? Could a blockage cause an *INCREASE* in fuel
flow?

I remember discussing this when working on my A&P, and promptly forgot
about it after I got out of school. IIRC, it has something to do with
the fuel injection...if one is blocked, the other nozzles pick up the
loss and are sometimes too efficent.

Obviously I can't remember the exact cause, but I've heard the same
exact thing before...blockage can cause an increase in fuel flow.

Old October 21st 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

This is just at idle?
Are your manifold pressure and rpm readings in line with each other?
I am thinking about cam shaft wear.

John

Old October 21st 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
jim

If I remember my "mechanical fuel injection 101" there is a "relief
port" of sorts somewhere. The pump delivers enough for the injectors
and then some. The "relief port" orifice bleeds off the excess and
returns it to the tank or the input side of the pump. Different size
ports changes the fuel delivery for different size engines. If it gets
clogged I would think the pump would deliver way too much fuel. Your
system, however, may not be like that. Just a guess.

Jim

Old October 21st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

The Visitor wrote:
This is just at idle?
Are your manifold pressure and rpm readings in line with each other?
I am thinking about cam shaft wear.

Anytime. However, it is a little bit intermitent. Sometimes it "clears"
itself.
I can't increase throttle w/o increasing mixture but I *MUST* keep the
two perfectly in line, if either gets in front of the other the engine
dies. It really feels like there is no fuel regulation.

-Robert

Old October 21st 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Emily

Robert M. Gary wrote:
The Visitor wrote:
This is just at idle?
Are your manifold pressure and rpm readings in line with each other?
I am thinking about cam shaft wear.

Anytime. However, it is a little bit intermitent. Sometimes it "clears"
itself.

Probably the blockage in a fuel nozzle moving around.