GA bias in "general" insurance?

Old October 21st 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

Default GA bias in "general" insurance?

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

No, what is a cemetary?

Matt

That must be where they bury the survivors.

Old October 21st 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Motorcycles, I think they would be the exclusion. Has to be more dangerous
than GA.

Old October 21st 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

Absolutely 100% INCORRECT.

Yes, sir!

Interestingly enough, he said that in his experience, it was more likely
to find insurance companies that would exclude a Commercial Pilot than a
Recreational Pilot. He believed that even Airline Pilots would be included
in the category of Commercial Pilot.

Commercial pilots are safer per hour, but they fly more hours.

It was not clear which category Sim Pilots fall into.

An advantage of simulators is that they have virtually no risks
associated with them.

If you have any conversations with experts in the insurance industry that
you would like to share to back up your statements, I would be most
interested in hearing about them.

I used to work in the industry, so I didn't need to look for expert
conversations.

Old October 21st 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Why?

Wealthy people are more likely to buy their own aircraft, or to fly in
general aviation (as passengers or crew).

GA is a rich man's hobby, and some wealthy people depend on GA for
personal transportation.

Are you saying that there are a lot of dead pilots?

More than there should be, at least in general aviation.

Old October 21st 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

I'm pretty sure they're about the same risk.

mike

news

Old October 21st 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

V35 Bonanza, AKA Forked-Tailed Doctor Killer, reflects on
doctors on lawyers.
Motorcycles, mostly crotch rockets/races.choppers AKA Donor
cycles

Some people are careful and can operate motorcycles and
airplanes for decades with nothing serious.

Some people are over confident and fail to take reasonable
precautions in unfamiliar circumstances.

Consider if the CFI who was flying with Casey Lidle had
taken the time to learn the NYC area, visited facilities,
taken a training flight himself, they might both be alive
today.

If Casey had not put his full faith and trust in the CFI,
but exercised his own PIC caution and done those things
himself, ditto.

. ..

Old October 21st 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Are you saying that there are a lot of dead pilots?

More than there should be, at least in general aviation.

And this is based on...what?

Flying light airplanes carries about the same risk as riding a
motorcycle, statistically. I don't see any insurance companies that
exclude motorcycle riding, although I suppose they may exist.

As with riding, when flying you can make things MUCH safer by taking a
few relatively easy steps.

Or are you saying that rich people who use GA for transportation are,
to a large degree, doofuses, along the lines of the legendary
overworked Bonanza-pilot-doctors (thus the nick-name,
"Fork-Tailed-Doctor-Killer") who used to kill themselves with alarming
regularity?

(In case you didn't know, Bonanzas were the original Cirrus, meaning
that wealthy, busy, high-powered professionals often bought them, flew
them too little, but often under tight schedules. This occasionally
got them in deep doo-doo when they flew into conditions that exceeded
their limited skills under the reasoning that they "had" to make that
meeting.)

Personally, I don't think GA flying is prohibitively dangerous, or I
certainly wouldn't have put my family in the plane over 600 times.
You've just got to be vigilant and careful at all times.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 22nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Greg Farris wrote:
Received yet another mailing offer for disability insurance - from a
reputable company, ready to pay a $250-500K indemnity for complete
disability.

I'll say again, I've never seen a GA exclusion on any insurance that I
have. Group life and AD&D insurance through work even covers me if I am
instructing. Just for kicks, I looked into extra life insurance with
USAA a while back, and they don't have an exclusion either. It seems
that you're looking in the wrong places.
Old October 22nd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

And this is based on...what?

The relatively high risk of GA, compared to commercial airlines.

Flying light airplanes carries about the same risk as riding a
motorcycle, statistically.

Riding a motorcycle is pretty risky.

As with riding, when flying you can make things MUCH safer by taking a
few relatively easy steps.

Yes, but the insurance company cannot be sure that you will take those
steps. And many people obviously don't, whence the high accident
rates.

Or are you saying that rich people who use GA for transportation are,
to a large degree, doofuses, along the lines of the legendary
overworked Bonanza-pilot-doctors (thus the nick-name,
"Fork-Tailed-Doctor-Killer") who used to kill themselves with alarming
regularity?

No. Rich people aren't any less intelligent than poor people.
However, having money provides access to general aviation,
irrespective of intelligence, so stupid rich people are more able to
fly than stupid poor people. Thus, one may encounter lots of stupid,
rich pilots.

In case you didn't know, Bonanzas were the original Cirrus, meaning
that wealthy, busy, high-powered professionals often bought them, flew
them too little, but often under tight schedules. This occasionally
got them in deep doo-doo when they flew into conditions that exceeded
their limited skills under the reasoning that they "had" to make that
meeting.

And in so doing they skewed the safety statistics for general
aviation. People like Cory Lidle, John Denver, and John F. Kennedy,
Jr., are still doing that today.

Personally, I don't think GA flying is prohibitively dangerous, or I
certainly wouldn't have put my family in the plane over 600 times.
You've just got to be vigilant and careful at all times.

I agree. Take good care of your plane and good care of yourself, and
be careful and cautious even when it's inconvenient, and the risk of
flying will be very low indeed. Under such conditions I certainly
wouldn't hesitate to put my family in a plane. But careless pilots
flying ill-maintained aircraft are just asking for trouble.

I think one big part of it is that, in general aviation, you cannot
simply jump into the plane and fly whenever you wish ... not if you
want to be safe, at least. If the weather is unsuitable, or if
there's any problem with the aircraft, you have to wait. But some
people don't like to wait.

Old October 22nd 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Commercial pilots are safer per hour, but they fly more hours.

Do you mean Commercial GA Pilots fly more hours than Airline Pilots?

An advantage of simulators is that they have virtually no risks
associated with them.

Obesity? Obesity holds a much higher risk than flying, even according to the
insurance underwriters.

I used to work in the industry, so I didn't need to look for expert
conversations.

Were you an Underwriter or an Actuary?

I used to work in the industry, too. That's how I know the experts that I
asked. If you used to work in the industry, certainly there is someone you
could ask who might be able to provide you a legitimate answer based on
factual information, instead of forming opinions based on your own limited
experience.