BFR?

Old June 10th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default BFR?

Intuitively and without looking at the regs (in other words, a blind
guess):

A new rating in another class/category requires the issuance of a new
certificate and presumes instruction to a specific level of competence and
examination to demonstrate that, so no BFR is required. This is a new
beginning.

The BFR is a formalized procedure requiring both flight and ground
instruction. A Self Launch endorsement does not rise to the level of
either of the above, so it would not count.

At 14:37 10 June 2008, jb92563 wrote:
Here is another spin on the BFR question:

If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
rating, is that
considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?

In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
regular BFR?

Ray

Old June 10th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

At the discretion of the instructor, the flight and ground instruction
could count toward the Flight Review. However, sperate sign off
entries would need to be made in your log book.

On Jun 10, 11:43*am, Nyal Williams wrote:
[...]

Ray- Hide quoted text -

Old June 10th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Absolutely; can be a part of it.

On Jun 10, 11:43=A0am, Nyal Williams wrote:
Intuitively and without looking at the regs (in other words, a blind
guess): =A0

A new rating in another class/category requires the issuance of a new
certificate and presumes instruction to a specific level of competence

and=

examination to demonstrate that, so no BFR is required. =A0This is a

new
beginning.

The BFR is a formalized procedure requiring both flight and ground
instruction. =A0A Self Launch endorsement does not rise to the level

Old June 10th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

only if the instructor signing off the endorsement also adds the words
flight review IAF 61.56

Old June 10th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

a new rating is not required in the US for a new launch method of a glider
of which there are 3 types.
that used to be the case but the rules were changed years ago.

Old June 11th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Nyal Williams wrote:
Absolutely; can be a part of it.

Right, *can* be, but *is* not.

Tony V. CFIG

Old June 11th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

To be absolutely clear, NO. The self launch endorsement is not by itself
a BFR. At his discretion the instructor who gives you this endorsement
can make it a part of a BFR, but the BFR must included other things as
well.

Old June 11th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

yes.. Nylan.. agreed...
I miss read and then re read your previous post and realized that was the
intent of your post.

BT