FOR SALE NEW NK CLEAR NAV

Old September 15th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default FOR SALE NEW NK CLEAR NAV

I think a touch screen as on PDA's is still the most useful.....letting you
look directly at what you are trying to change rather than looking down at a
keypad, then back at a screen (and with all this going on attempting to look
outside as well...too many places and not enough eyes..apparently so do PC
Manufacturers as this seems to be the next breakthrough in desktop computing
several manufacturers are pursuing this line.
tim

"Udo Rumpf" wrote in message
I disagree strongly, the controls should be clustered around the screen.
The remote is just an other piece of hardware attached to a wire flying
around the cockpit. Naturally I can see and understand your bias.
There are products that function much closer to my way of thinking and I
am not bias. See http://www.triadis.ch
Udo

I find the ClearNav's keypad to be very easy to use. Also, the

ClearNav
is
very much designed with "simple user-interface" as a key design
consideration. I think it succeeds at that goal superbly. I predict

that

there will be many more ClearNav units sold than "Ultimate" systems.
Also,
NK is a first class company that will be creating many very nice soaring

instruments in the near future and they (and I) will support the ClearNav

extremely well. But I'm biased because I sell, support and am writing

the

Old September 15th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Clearly both touch-screen and remotes have dedicated users. I prefer
a remote because I can't reach my instrument panel and have difficulty
touching the screen of a PDA in our turbulent western air.

Also, an early PDA system I had flew out of its cradle and landed
behind my back, where it was a little less than useful. I know the
new cradles are better, but I still prefer an instrument to be firmly
bolted to the panel.

I'm sure we'll see some good developments in the next year or two and
I'm watching these new developments closely, meanwhile I'll stick
with my SN10.

Mike
Old September 15th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 19:47 15 September 2008, Tim Mara wrote:
I think a touch screen as on PDA's is still the most useful.....letting

you

look directly at what you are trying to change rather than looking down

at
keypad, then back at a screen (and with all this going on attempting to
look
outside as well...too many places and not enough eyes..apparently so do

PC

Manufacturers as this seems to be the next breakthrough in desktop
computing
several manufacturers are pursuing this line.
tim

With a properly designed handheld remote, in my experience, you don't
need to look at the control at all.

John Galloway
Old September 17th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Mike the Strike wrote:
..... difficulty
touching the screen of a PDA in our turbulent western air.

I'm wondering how a trackball would work here.

Tony
Old September 17th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Sep 16, 4:54*pm, Tony Verhulst wrote:
Mike the Strike wrote:
..... difficulty
touching the screen of a PDA in our *turbulent western air.

I'm wondering how a trackball would work here.

Tony

A trackball would work fine if you could locate it where your hand or
wrist is supported. The problem with a touch screen is that your arm
and hand are extended and move under the g forces on the glider. I
have no problem at all with a remote located by my left hand.

Mike
Old September 17th 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg O'Sullivan

Bill Daniels wrote:

I run free software on a $100 used PDA. My only gripe is that the screen is
too small and dim.

Has anyone tried one of those ruggedized PDAs in the cockpit, like
the TDS Recon. In theory it fixes the too dim problem.

http://www.tdsway.com/products/recon

Old September 17th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Bill,

I just searched the TDS page below looking for any indication that the
screen is sunlight readable and I couldn't find anything. Perhaps I missed
it. What gives you the impression that it is brighter than any other PDA?

Paul Remde

"Greg O'Sullivan" wrote in message
u...

Old September 17th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill Daniels wrote:

I run free software on a $100 used PDA. *My only gripe is that the screen
is too small and dim.

Has anyone tried one of those ruggedized PDAs in the cockpit, like
the TDS Recon. In theory it fixes the too dim problem.

http://www.tdsway.com/products/recon- Hide quoted text -

Paul,

See the specifications page: "Sunlight-readable color TFT display"
Old September 17th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

:

Bill Daniels wrote:

I run free software on a $100 used PDA. My only gripe is that the screen
is too small and dim.

Has anyone tried one of those ruggedized PDAs in the cockpit, like
the TDS Recon. In theory it fixes the too dim problem.

http://www.tdsway.com/products/recon- Hide quoted text -

Paul,

See the specifications page: "Sunlight-readable color TFT display"

Since they do not quote any brightness specs, I would be very
suspicious.

Larry

Old September 17th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

Mike the Strike wrote:
..... difficulty
touching the screen of a PDA in our *turbulent western air.

I'm wondering how a trackball would work here.

Tony

Tony,

The trackball I am using with the Ultimate is a Micro Track handheld
trackball, it fits easily in your hand, move the ball with your
thumb . It works very well with either hand and the mouse arrow does
not move when you take you thumb off the ball. I perfer it to the
touch screen input especially in turbulence.

Please see pictures http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm .

Any USB mouse type input will work with the Utimate. I have tried a
larger ball track mouse but could not find a suitable place to put it
and did not like it as well as the handheld. I guess you could strap
it to your leg. I have also looked at a joystick type mouse, but they
are very expensive.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Clear Yaw string tape? Bruno Soaring 42 August 30th 13 05:56 PM
Clear Air Turbolance Dutch Aviation Photos 1 May 3rd 07 05:31 PM
"Clear Prop!" in Mandarin Darkstar Piloting 18 November 25th 04 09:09 PM
when does a "remain clear" instruction end? Arden Prinz Piloting 171 March 2nd 04 12:26 AM
This post will clear a lot of things up Jack White Military Aviation 0 September 14th 03 10:52 AM