DME recommendations

Old April 3rd 05, 07:15 AM
mindenpilot

Default DME recommendations

Let me start by admitting my ignorance about DME's.
In my plane I have to KX-170Bs, one indicator has GS.
I also have an ADF.
I have no DME, and I've never used one.
I've started studying for my instrument written test.
I've noticed that a large number of approaches would either be more
difficult or not possible without one.
So, I've been researching getting one.
I don't need anything fancy, so I've been looking at older ones.

Here's my question...
Some DMEs seem to have an indicator, and then a separate receiver box, like
the ARC 800 DME.
Others I've seen just seem to be an in-panel job, like the Narco DME 190 or
the King KN62A.
I've seen some on Ebay, and wanted to make sure that the Narco 190/ King
KN62A don't require an additional recieving unit, like the ARC 800.
That is, if I were to purchase a yellow-tagged Narco 190 (and tray and
connectors), would that be all I need? Antenna?

Thanks,

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old April 3rd 05, 06:19 PM
jsmith

Don't waste your money on a DME. Too much maintenance.
Purchase a good used IFR GPS.

Old April 3rd 05, 06:44 PM
Dude

"jsmith" wrote in message
Don't waste your money on a DME. Too much maintenance.
Purchase a good used IFR GPS.

What he said!

I am presently looking to replace my RNAV/DME with a new GPS. By the time
you buy and install a used DME system you will be getting pretty close to a
used IFR GPS.

Old April 3rd 05, 07:04 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Dude" wrote:

"jsmith" wrote in message
Don't waste your money on a DME. Too much maintenance.
Purchase a good used IFR GPS.

What he said!

I am presently looking to replace my RNAV/DME with a new GPS. By the time
you buy and install a used DME system you will be getting pretty close to a
used IFR GPS.

What he said, squared. About the only thing I can think of that you can do
with a DME that you can't with a terminal-certified GPS is use it to fly an
ILS-DME (because you don't have the location of the ILS DME ground station
in the GPS database). Unless you have some very specific reason to need
DME for one of the very few things GPS can't replace it for, I think it
would be foolish to invest in DME these days.
Old April 3rd 05, 07:07 PM
mindenpilot

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dude" wrote:

"jsmith" wrote in message
Don't waste your money on a DME. Too much maintenance.
Purchase a good used IFR GPS.

What he said!

I am presently looking to replace my RNAV/DME with a new GPS. By the
time
you buy and install a used DME system you will be getting pretty close to
used IFR GPS.

What he said, squared. About the only thing I can think of that you can
do
with a DME that you can't with a terminal-certified GPS is use it to fly
an
ILS-DME (because you don't have the location of the ILS DME ground station
in the GPS database). Unless you have some very specific reason to need
DME for one of the very few things GPS can't replace it for, I think it
would be foolish to invest in DME these days.

I think I'm sold on the GPS idea.
Do you think it is safe to say that an airport that has an ILS-DME approach
also has a GPS one?

Thanks,

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old April 3rd 05, 07:47 PM
Roy Smith

"mindenpilot" wrote:
Do you think it is safe to say that an airport that has an ILS-DME approach
also has a GPS one?

GPS approaches are getting more and more common. My guess is it would be
pretty rare to find any airport with an ILS that didn't also have some sort
of GPS approach. If you have some specific airports you plan on visiting a
lot, check out specifically what approaches they have.

You might even discover that the DME fixes on the ILS have GPS waypoints
superimposed. For example, the ILS or LOC/DME 17 into (MHT
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0503/00246ILD17.PDF)
Old April 3rd 05, 09:12 PM
Peter Clark

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:04:21 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
"Dude" wrote:

"jsmith" wrote in message
Don't waste your money on a DME. Too much maintenance.
Purchase a good used IFR GPS.

What he said!

I am presently looking to replace my RNAV/DME with a new GPS. By the time
you buy and install a used DME system you will be getting pretty close to a
used IFR GPS.

What he said, squared. About the only thing I can think of that you can do
with a DME that you can't with a terminal-certified GPS is use it to fly an
ILS-DME (because you don't have the location of the ILS DME ground station
in the GPS database).

FWIW, the KLN94 has the I-xxx stations in the database for doing DME
to ILS stations.
Old April 3rd 05, 09:45 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Peter Clark wrote:

What he said, squared. About the only thing I can think of that you can do
with a DME that you can't with a terminal-certified GPS is use it to fly an
ILS-DME (because you don't have the location of the ILS DME ground station
in the GPS database).

FWIW, the KLN94 has the I-xxx stations in the database for doing DME
to ILS stations.

Cool, I didn't know that. I wonder why those fixes were dropped from the
databases of more modern units? It seems like such an obvious and useful
thing to have them in there.
Old April 3rd 05, 10:14 PM
Scott Skylane

Roy Smith wrote:

Cool, I didn't know that. I wonder why those fixes were dropped from the
databases of more modern units? It seems like such an obvious and useful
thing to have them in there.

The GX-50/55/60 has most, but not all, of the localizer fixes in it's
database. I could never figure out their logic of leaving some out, though.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054
Old April 4th 05, 12:20 AM
Doug

The only argument for a DME is if you have an IFR GPS, there are
requirements for being able to fly your alternate with no GPS, so a DME
allows you to fly VOR/DME approaches as well as ILS's requireing DME
with your GPS out.