What happened to the ftp site weather.noaa.gov?

Old March 11th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default What happened to the ftp site weather.noaa.gov?

I have a script that generates a custom web page of TAFs and METARs for
airports that I'm interested in so I can quickly access that information
from my Treo. I just noticed that it's been broken since late January
because it's unable to ftp to weather.noaa.gov. Does anybody know if that
site is gone for good or just moved? I know Rick "Man on Dog" Santorum
was trying to prevent the NOAA from giving us the weather information we
paid them to collect, but he's out now so I was hoping that particular bit
of political idiocy was over.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Will debug C homework for lap dances.
Old March 11th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hamish Reid

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I have a script that generates a custom web page of TAFs and METARs for
airports that I'm interested in so I can quickly access that information
from my Treo. I just noticed that it's been broken since late January
because it's unable to ftp to weather.noaa.gov. Does anybody know if that
site is gone for good or just moved? I know Rick "Man on Dog" Santorum
was trying to prevent the NOAA from giving us the weather information we
paid them to collect, but he's out now so I was hoping that particular bit
of political idiocy was over.

Paul -- if you go to http://weather.noaa.gov, you'll see a little
messaget taht says something like anon ftp no longer supported, please
ftp to tgftp.nws.noaa.gov...

Hamish
Old March 11th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Hamish Reid said:
In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:
from my Treo. I just noticed that it's been broken since late January
because it's unable to ftp to weather.noaa.gov. Does anybody know if that

Paul -- if you go to http://weather.noaa.gov, you'll see a little
messaget taht says something like anon ftp no longer supported, please
ftp to tgftp.nws.noaa.gov...

Duh, why didn't I think of that? I blame the airsickness - I was out
practicing stalls and steep turns for my BFR and I had to do it above a
cloud layer so I didn't have a good horizon.

Thanks, Hamish.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Remember, "close" counts in horse-shoes, hand-grenades and nuclear warfare;
Old March 11th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
virtuPIC

On 11 Mrz., 21:20, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, Hamish Reid said:
from my Treo. I just noticed that it's been broken since late January
because it's unable to ftp to weather.noaa.gov. Does anybody know if that

Paul -- if you go tohttp://weather.noaa.gov, you'll see a little
messaget taht says something like anon ftp no longer supported, please
ftp to tgftp.nws.noaa.gov...

....or have a look at http://www.airspace-v.com to get it mapped on
Google Maps with more information like airfield coordinates and winds
and temperatures aloft.

virtuPIC
--
Airspace V - international hangar flying
http://www.airspace-v.com

Old March 12th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "virtuPIC" said:
On 11 Mrz., 21:20, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, Hamish Reid said:
from my Treo. I just noticed that it's been broken since late January
because it's unable to ftp to weather.noaa.gov. Does anybody know if that

Paul -- if you go tohttp://weather.noaa.gov, you'll see a little
messaget taht says something like anon ftp no longer supported, please
ftp to tgftp.nws.noaa.gov...

...or have a look at http://www.airspace-v.com to get it mapped on
Google Maps with more information like airfield coordinates and winds
and temperatures aloft.

Doesn't help me with my cell phone - the built in browser can't do Google
Maps.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
If you don't pay for criminally bad software through the nose, you will
Old March 12th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

Doesn't help me with my cell phone - the built in browser can't do
Google Maps.

That's OK - he doesn't really care about your problem. He's just advertising
his web site....
Old March 12th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 12, 4:52 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, "virtuPIC" said:

On 11 Mrz., 21:20, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, Hamish Reid said:
from my Treo. I just noticed that it's been broken since late January
because it's unable to ftp to weather.noaa.gov. Does anybody know if that

Paul -- if you go tohttp://weather.noaa.gov, you'll see a little
messaget taht says something like anon ftp no longer supported, please
ftp to tgftp.nws.noaa.gov...

...or have a look athttp://www.airspace-v.comto get it mapped on
Google Maps with more information like airfield coordinates and winds
and temperatures aloft.

Doesn't help me with my cell phone - the built in browser can't do Google
Maps.

I use aviationweather.gov on my cell phone. The graphics are basic
enough that most cell phone browers do fine with it. Most of my
students have not had any issues using aviationweather.gov from their
cell phone browsers.

-Robert

Old March 11th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hamish Reid

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:
from my Treo. I just noticed that it's been broken since late January
because it's unable to ftp to weather.noaa.gov. Does anybody know if that

Paul -- if you go to http://weather.noaa.gov, you'll see a little
messaget taht says something like anon ftp no longer supported, please
ftp to tgftp.nws.noaa.gov...

Duh, why didn't I think of that? I blame the airsickness - I was out
practicing stalls and steep turns for my BFR and I had to do it above a
cloud layer so I didn't have a good horizon.

Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say :-). Actually, having just
completed my own BFR, I can commiserate...

Hamish