HRRR 3KM NOAA Model now has thermal heights!

Old May 28th 14, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default HRRR 3KM NOAA Model now has thermal heights!

For those of you who watched Gordon Boettger's downwind wave flights you will remember the HRRR graphics that showed the train of mountain waves. Now, the NOAA GSD people in Boulder, CO have added another field: PBL Height.

PBL stand for the Planetary Boundary Layer which is the thermal height(TI=0). GSD graphics now allow one to animate and pick any one of the 15hr model times showing a colorized evolution of the PBL Height or thermal height. Heights are above ground level (AGL) in meters. Nonetheless, it shows quite vividly convergence zones, stable outflow areas and how precip from convection kills the thermal layer.

Take a look:

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/

The model runs hourly producing a 15hr forecast. That means you can't look at it the night before your gliding flight, but must check the next morning.. Remember to select a region of the country from the top pull down menu. Also, it's sometimes best to back off to an earlier hour to get all the graphic fields filled out. The PBL Height field is the last one in the list that is populated.

Sometime in August 2014, the HRRR model will go operational with NOAA NCEP. Currently, it's only available on this web site and for restricted use. When operational by NCEP, it will be publicly possible to use other programs that can read OpenDAP and Thredds servers to subset this very high resolution data, allowing visualization at full resolution (over a limited domain) to see what's going on at the 3km resolution. One program I've experimented with is the IDV viewer, from Unidata (http://unidata.ucar.edu/).

Enjoy...

Walt Rogers WX
Old May 28th 14, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

cool! thank Walt.
Old May 28th 14, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nonetheless, it shows quite vividly convergence zones, stable outflow areas and how precip from convection kills the thermal layer.

Walt, could you elaborate on what these phenomena look like? SZ
Old May 28th 14, 03:03 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWX[_2_] View Post

Take a look:

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/

Enjoy...

Walt Rogers WX
Yes, thank you Walt. Great resource...now bookmarked!

Brad.
Old May 28th 14, 04:49 PM
JimF JimF is offline
Junior Member

Wow, we don't have to go cross-eyed anymore trying to see where all the lines intersect on a skew-T diagram. Excellent find Walt.
Old May 29th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Thanks Walt,
I have been using this for total & mid level cloud cover, and the Model seems to be dialed in to reality pretty well.

SF

Old May 29th 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
teck48[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:22:46 PM UTC-4, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Whoa! I've just looked at this and it seems to be way over my head. Is there a guide or users manual? I can't find anything on the page pointing to it.. I'd like the learning curve to be shorter than my remaining lifespan. Thanks!

HRRR model down? JS Soaring 1 November 9th 12 05:27 PM
Thermal Forcasting -Thermal index gldrgidr Soaring 6 November 27th 10 10:26 PM
Shots supposedly fired at Israelis by Syrians in Golan Heights: NOMOREWARFORISRAEL[_2_] Naval Aviation 0 January 11th 09 04:05 PM
What happened to the ftp site weather.noaa.gov? Paul Tomblin Piloting 7 March 12th 07 06:32 PM
Thermal Data Files Thermal Mapping Project Australia Mal Soaring 0 December 2nd 05 11:14 PM