What to do with my Elite pedals?

Old November 24th 03, 12:30 PM
news.ericsson.se

Default What to do with my Elite pedals?

Hi all,

I own a Thrustmaster Attack throttle, combined with a joystick (Top Gun?)
and Elite rudder pedals. The joystick plugs into the rudders which plugs
into the throttle. This combo worked fine with my old computer, but now I've
upgraded to a new computer and run into some problems.

1. The soundcard don't have any game port. This can be fixed with an
USB-Game port-adapter.
2. These adapters can't handle digital units (so I've heard), and the attack
throttle is digital.
3. The throttle has no drivers campatible to winXP (I've been told)

This leaves me with a couple of alternatives:
a) Sell the controls, and buy a new USB stick with built-in throttle and
twisting handle to simulate pedals.
b) Get a USB-Game port-adapter to use my old joystick together with my
pedals, and forget about the throttle.
c) Get a USB-Game port-adapter to the pedals, and buy a USB joystick with
throttle. (Will that work?)

I'm a gliderpilot in real life, so I really like the pedals when flying
simulators (because you have to make use of the pedals in every turn with a
sailplane) to keep my flying trim up to date.

Anybody that have had the same problem and solved it?
Anybody that have a sugestion what I should do?

Greatings,

Old November 24th 03, 08:30 PM
Dashi

You can try to sell your Elite Pedals on www.ebay.com, should get a pretty
good price for them if you market them correctly.

I'm going to be flying gliders this coming spring, what kind are you flying.

Do you have a glider that you can recommend for MS Flight Simulator FS2004
(FS9)?

Dashi

Old November 25th 03, 10:38 AM
Aake

So you're suggesting me to get a new twistable all-in one stick?
I forgot to mention that price is important, so I will not get very
expensive things...

I'm flying the types we have at our club: Bergfalke IV, Pilatus B4, DG500
and LS-8.

In MSFS2002 there is a couple of good gliders available, look at this site.
You can even create some sort of thermals of your own with add-on programs.
I think they will do fine in FS2004 as well.
http://www.virtualsoaring.org
http://www.virtualsoaring.org/aircraft/aircraft3.html

MSFS does not simulate lift very well. You can get these thermals, but they
are not very good in my opinion.

I've flown Flight Unlimited 3 a lot, which do simulate ridge lift very nice.
Just tune in some wind and surf the ridges all around Washington state.

With my new computer I want to try the dedicated glider simulators SFPC
(http://www.sfspc.de/index_e.htm) and Sailors of the sky
(http://www.sailorsofthesky.com).

/J

Old November 25th 03, 06:11 PM
Dashi

"Aake" wrote in message
So you're suggesting me to get a new twistable all-in one stick?
I forgot to mention that price is important, so I will not get very
expensive things...

No I'm not suggesting that, I thought that you were trying to get rid of
your Elite pedals and I offered a suggestion on how to do that.

Personally I would get an adapter and keep the pedals, try this out with
your current joystick/throttle and see how it works.

Dashi

Old November 25th 03, 07:22 PM
Aake

Thanks Dashi.
Preferably, I will keep the pedals to use them with some kind of stick. The
question is what, and haw to make it work.
Maybe an adapter will work with my pedal and stick, but then I'll be in lack
of a throttle. I'll try it anyway.