New iPAQ 4700

Old October 8th 04, 06:15 PM
Paul Remde

Default New iPAQ 4700

Hi,

I received my iPAQ 4705 this week. Like the Toshiba e800 the screen is a
little larger than most Pocket PCs and it is about the same brightness as
most current Pocket PCs. It looks about the same (maybe slightly brighter)
as my iPAQ 3970 in sunlight. The high resolution screen is not an advantage
or disadvantage for Glide Navigator II as it appears to display at the
standard (old) resolution. It uses the same cables as the iPAQ 3900 and
5000 series.

pocket*StrePla did not seem to be able to display the maps at all. It
displayed waypoints and SUAs and text fine, but no maps. Team StrePla has a
unit on the way to them and I'm sure they will get it working soon.

I'm very impressed with the high resolution display. The Toshiba e800 could
go into high resolution mode but did not seem designed to use the high
resolution much. This new iPAQ uses the high resolution capabilities in
every menu, dialog box, icon etc and it looks extremely sharp. It seems to
run low resolution programs like GN II just fine and when dialog boxes
appear over the program they are in high resolution.

I like the fact that it has both CF and SD card slots on top of the unit. I
also like that a large battery will be available as an option soon. That
will make the unit very nice for use as a portable system that doesn't need
to be connected to an external battery.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old October 9th 04, 01:06 PM
Jim Kelly

Thanks Paul - much appreciated.

Q1. What is the situation with mounts?

Q2. How did you find the new touchpad (instead of the rocker
switch)?

Cheers

Jim Kelly.

Old October 9th 04, 11:06 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

The iPAQ 4700 is a new form factor and doesn't fit into any standard mounts
from RAM and doesn't fit the very nice iPAQ cradles from Germany which are
designed to hold a 3800, 3900 or 5000 series iPAQ. However, the RAM-HOL-PD2
cradle will hold the Pocket PC with or without the optional large battery.

I haven't played with the touchpad much yet. It can operate in 2 modes. The
default is for it to operate exactly like the rocker switch on most iPAQs.
I doesn't offer as much tactile feedback as the other iPAQs but it didn't
seem to be a problem in the testing I did. The other mode is for the
touchpad to act like a mouse input. I tried it briefly and found it not
very useful - at least with soaring software. Why would I want a mouse when
I have a large touch-screen?

Paul Remde

u...