Why does Toronto need a 65nm mode-c veil?

Old March 11th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default Why does Toronto need a 65nm mode-c veil?

According to "Fly With Blake",
http://fly.blakecrosby.com/2007/03/t...ges_expla.html
the YYZ "Class C Mode C" airspace stretches out to 26nm, and now they are
going to make the ring from 26nm out to 65nm from 6,500MSL to 12,500MSL
"Class E Mode C", meaning you don't need a clearance, but you need to be
squawking mode C. Does this seem slightly ridiculous to you? I can get
to within 30nm of airports like JFK and LAX without a Mode C, and I bet
they handle more traffic on a slow Sunday than YYZ handles all week.
Where is the need for this air space grab?

Do Canadian pilots get as upset about needless airspace grabs as American
ones? Or are they resigned to this being the best that they can get?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
We are not gentle tolerant people. We like drastically effective solutions.
Old March 11th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

On Mar 11, 3:40 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
According to "Fly With Blake",http://fly.blakecrosby.com/2007/03/t...ges_expla.html
the YYZ "Class C Mode C" airspace stretches out to 26nm, and now they are
going to make the ring from 26nm out to 65nm from 6,500MSL to 12,500MSL
"Class E Mode C", meaning you don't need a clearance, but you need to be
squawking mode C. Does this seem slightly ridiculous to you? I can get
to within 30nm of airports like JFK and LAX without a Mode C, and I bet
they handle more traffic on a slow Sunday than YYZ handles all week.
Where is the need for this air space grab?
Do Canadian pilots get as upset about needless airspace grabs as American
ones? Or are they resigned to this being the best that they can get?

According to the full text, COPA has been involved with this one.

I only get upset when Canadian airspace is restricted south and east
of Detroit when Air Force One lands at DTW and the Selfridge F-16s are
blasting around "south" of the border.

Old March 12th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

According to "Fly With Blake",
http://fly.blakecrosby.com/2007/03/t...ges_expla.html
the YYZ "Class C Mode C" airspace stretches out to 26nm, and now they are
going to make the ring from 26nm out to 65nm from 6,500MSL to 12,500MSL
"Class E Mode C", meaning you don't need a clearance, but you need to be
squawking mode C. [...]
Where is the need for this air space grab?

One may give the benefit of doubt to ATC and accept that it would
probably help keep airplanes separated. The effect is probably to
permit controllers to vector jets while mostly ignoring primary-only
radar returns, permitting ATC presume that the latter are below the
new ring.

In this day and age, how much trouble do you believe it is to get a
working mode-C transponder in the plane if one wants to cruise 6500 ft
up -- i.e., how many people would be inconvenienced by this "grab"?
(Note that gliders at a nearby field are excepted.)

- FChE
Old March 12th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Frank Ch. Eigler) said:
(Paul Tomblin) writes:
According to "Fly With Blake",
http://fly.blakecrosby.com/2007/03/t...ges_expla.html
the YYZ "Class C Mode C" airspace stretches out to 26nm, and now they are
going to make the ring from 26nm out to 65nm from 6,500MSL to 12,500MSL
"Class E Mode C", meaning you don't need a clearance, but you need to be
squawking mode C. [...]
Where is the need for this air space grab?

One may give the benefit of doubt to ATC and accept that it would
probably help keep airplanes separated. The effect is probably to
permit controllers to vector jets while mostly ignoring primary-only
radar returns, permitting ATC presume that the latter are below the
new ring.

As COPA says, there is no need for a jet to be below 12,500 when it's 65nm
out unless it's crashing.

In this day and age, how much trouble do you believe it is to get a
working mode-C transponder in the plane if one wants to cruise 6500 ft
up -- i.e., how many people would be inconvenienced by this "grab"?
(Note that gliders at a nearby field are excepted.)

In this day and age, how much trouble would it be to keep jets up high
until they're close in? Every Class B in the US manages somehow. And
those controllers are inefficient government employees and union members,
not lean and mean private company employees like NavCanada.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"You are all but subwidgets in a composite container whose logical tab
Old March 12th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Paul Tomblin opined

According to "Fly With Blake",
http://fly.blakecrosby.com/2007/03/t...ges_expla.html
the YYZ "Class C Mode C" airspace stretches out to 26nm, and now they are
going to make the ring from 26nm out to 65nm from 6,500MSL to 12,500MSL
"Class E Mode C", meaning you don't need a clearance, but you need to be
squawking mode C. Does this seem slightly ridiculous to you? I can get
to within 30nm of airports like JFK and LAX without a Mode C, and I bet
they handle more traffic on a slow Sunday than YYZ handles all week.
Where is the need for this air space grab?

Do Canadian pilots get as upset about needless airspace grabs as American
ones? Or are they resigned to this being the best that they can get?

Without mode C, how will they know if someone is in the "Class E Mode C" or just
cruising along at 5,500'? Did the FAAsneak across the border?

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old March 12th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

On Mar 12, 7:54 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:

As COPA says, there is no need for a jet to be below 12,500 when it's 65nm
out unless it's crashing.

errr..believe they said 7000 (6500 + 500).

Old March 12th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In this day and age, how much trouble would it be to keep jets up high
until they're close in? Every Class B in the US manages somehow.

And class C and D also.

And
those controllers are inefficient government employees and union members,
not lean and mean private company employees like NavCanada.

We're not all union members. Probably only about 65% of the controllers
are in the union

New transponder mode S vs. mode C Tom N. Soaring 39 November 7th 06 07:40 AM
Mode S transponders Wallis Home Built 4 March 10th 05 10:33 AM
WTB: Mode C Transponder Chris Batcheller Aviation Marketplace 0 February 21st 04 01:31 PM
Anyone going to Oshkosh on Jul 31 from Toronto? Will Chan Home Built 0 July 25th 03 04:55 AM
Mode S questoin JerryK Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 03 09:56 PM