Starter selection -- seeking input

Old March 31st 04, 06:56 PM

Default Starter selection -- seeking input

We are about to order a factory rebuilt Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 engine for our
Arrow IV. The engine comes with a new starter, and we can choose either the
"conventional" Prestolite MZ-4222 or the "light weight" Sky-Tech 149-12PM.
Price is the same either way. We have never used anything but he
conventional Prestolite and have no experience with Sky-Techs. Our mechanic
says that he has seen fewer problems with the Prestolite, but that is based
mainly on experience with rental fleet airplanes that get a lot more starter
abuse than ours. My personal experience is that most starter problems
relate to the Bendix gear, which is apparently eliminated in the Sky-Tech
design.
I would welcome informed opinions on which way to go.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old March 31st 04, 10:31 PM

We had to replace ours last year (cracked bendix housing). We went with the
Skytek starter and have been very pleased with it. I'm sure part of it was binding in
the gear before due to the crack, but the new starter really cranks the engine over.
Rather than appreciably slowing down on the compression stroke, the new one plows
right through it and starts easily. Also lost something like 7 lbs on the nose...
good deal.

-Cory

wrote:
: We are about to order a factory rebuilt Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 engine for our
: Arrow IV. The engine comes with a new starter, and we can choose either the
: "conventional" Prestolite MZ-4222 or the "light weight" Sky-Tech 149-12PM.
: Price is the same either way. We have never used anything but he
: conventional Prestolite and have no experience with Sky-Techs. Our mechanic
: says that he has seen fewer problems with the Prestolite, but that is based
: mainly on experience with rental fleet airplanes that get a lot more starter
: abuse than ours. My personal experience is that most starter problems
: relate to the Bendix gear, which is apparently eliminated in the Sky-Tech
: design.
: I would welcome informed opinions on which way to go.

: --
: -Elliott Drucker

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old April 4th 04, 03:01 PM
smf

I installed a Sky tec last year on my Glasair II. The I-O 360B1E had some
hotstart problems. With the lighter weight and higher starting speed I'm
very pleased with it. Go with the sky tec.

Steve

Old April 5th 04, 12:43 AM
Dan Thomas

"smf" wrote in message news:uyUbc.7609$sd5.4328@okepread02...
I installed a Sky tec last year on my Glasair II. The I-O 360B1E had some
hotstart problems. With the lighter weight and higher starting speed I'm
very pleased with it. Go with the sky tec.

Steve

We have several Lycs with both Prestolite and SkyTecs. The Prestolite
requires a brush inspection every 200 hours (a Cessna requirement)
while the SkyTec is designed to go to TBO without such fuss.
Just don't put a Lamar starter on an O-470 or 520. I did two of
those, and the owners both complained of poor starting 80% of the
time, hot or cold. Checked out the electrical supply, no problems
there. Replaced both with Prestolites and they're happy.

Dan