Heliocopter pilot as career change?

Old March 30th 04, 04:09 PM
NewsMonkey

Default Heliocopter pilot as career change?

Hello All,

I was hoping I might be able to get some feedback/advice from people who
have experience in the commercial aviation field. I am trying to make a
decision on whether pursuing a career, as a commercial helicopter pilot
is realistic.

First a little (I promise) bit of background. I am a 34 y/o man in
good health and I currently work as a software engineer. My education is
that of a Biochemist but I entered the computer field, and left graduate
school, writing software during the "Dot Com" boom of the late 90's. As
most everyone knows when the bottom dropped out of the "Internet" era a
lot of jobs went with it as well as the security I had in the field. The
fact is that with economy still recovering and many, many software
development projects going over seas, jobs are still hard to find and
the salaries have been literally cut in half. All that being said, I
have started looking at possibly switching to other careers.

I am a private pilot though I do not have many hours flying solo. In
fact, after I got my ticket I barley got to fly at all, mostly because
of money. In fact is has been about 5 years since I have flown solo and
I would need some instructor time in the cockpit before being ready to
go up on my own again.

I have always looked at careers in aviation as something that I would
enjoy but since I never went the military route I figured I never had a
chance. Also the regular long time away from home that airline pilots
endure is something that would not be right for my wife and children.
Plus after what my flight instructor told me regarding the low pay that
pilot's get while trying to get their Multi Engine, and Turbine, etc...
Ratings? Let's just say from what he told me you don't start making good
money as an airline pilot until you are flying the 737 size jets and
higher.

In any case I had the opportunity to speak to a helicopter pilot
instructor at my local airfield. He made it sounds as if civilian
helicopter pilots can get hired without military experience. Contrary to
what I had thought, he said that non-military pilots worked for
medieval, police, and news organizations as well as others. He went on
to mention tourism related professions out in Alaska and other
locations. I asked him if one had to own their own helicopter to be paid
as a pilot and he said not at all. He said that in his situation he
started instructing by leasing a Robinson helo and the business just
grew and grew. Now he owns 4 R22's and hires others to instruct for him.
Now this all sounds nice but he does have an incentive to get someone to
take lessons from him, hence why I am looking for outside opinions from
those who are already in the field.

What I am looking for is a career that I would love going to everyday
and one that might allow me to support my family. I still enjoy writing
software and have had limited success writing commercial programs and
consulting, but if it were realistic to think that I could find a job as
a commercial helicopter pilot to provide/supplement my income I would
invest the time and money (approx $20,000) it would take to earn my
commercial rating.

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments.

- David )

Old March 30th 04, 07:18 PM
Davdirect

David....
I can't provide much advice, but maybe some encouragement. For guys our age
(I'm 40) doing this is going to be a tough nut to crack...but I think as long
as you go into it with your eyes wide open and realistic expectations, go for
it. When I turned 40 I decided to finally get off my ass and pursue a dream
after 20yrs in the TV News Biz. 30 helicopter hours later I'm on my way and
loving it. I don't have any pie in the sky expectations and at this point am
not sure where this journey will take me...but I'm also being challenged and at
this point in life its great to be challenged. Don't give up on your
dreams...if this is what you really want to do then do it. And never forget
how much fun it was in the beginning. That will get you through the days when
its a 'job'...thats true in any field.
Good luck.
Dave

Old March 30th 04, 08:50 PM
Max T, CFI

$20K sounds about right to get the commercial helicopter. I think initially
your bigger opportunity to fly for hire will be as a helicopter CFI. Just
had my first helicopter lesson last week, and the CFI, who has about 400 hours
in helicopters, said he spent about $45K in training in checkrides (private
through CFII). Sounds like he feels he'll be teaching for another 6-12 months
before he'll get hired on either in the Gulf of Mexico or Grand Canyon, which
he said were the two biggest markets for turbine helicopter jobs at around $45K.
He said typical EMS jobs want 1000-3000 hours of experience.
Good luck!
Max T, CFI, ATP

Old March 30th 04, 10:10 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

Well Mr. Monkey.... Far be it for me a lowly lurker and armchair pilot
to step in here when others far more qualified are giving such good
advice..... But let me make my comments.

I currently work as a software engineer

First as everyone will tell you, I'm sure - DON"T give up your day job.

Now as they are starting to tell you - Don't expect to be flying a
copper chopper, medical chopper, TV chopper, or oilrig chopper
anytime soon.

Now you will notice that a large segment of your potential employers
has just disappeared..... Oh what to do, oh what to do.

Well..... as you have stated - YOU currently work
as a software engineer.

In your shoes I would start approaching the small, tiny, out of the
way, miniscule mom and pop operators and have a serious talk about your
abilities as a software engineer and how you could seriously help them
improve, promote, and maintain their computer systems particularily on
the web. And at the same time how you want to become a helicopter pilot
and gain experience ( hours ) as a pilot.

Take a look at how many small companies ( not just helicopter or
aviation companies ) that have an absolutely lousy web site.

No pictures worth a spit, no rah rah and very little reason to deal
with them when they are in the middle of the stagnant majority.

SAFARI helicopters is a very good example of this.

They actually manufacture helicopter kits and are about the only
company in the world that manufactures kits and yet for the past few
years their website has been stagnant and dull dull dull.

Yet if you asked them they would be the first to agree that they are
trying to get their customers attention and generate new leads and
sales through that website.

Imagine how many small helicopter companies are out there that have had
some buddy, relative, el cheapo programmer, or whatever design their
website and maintain it. Or who has set up their computer system for
business use with systems, hardware, softare that is now obsolete and
perhaps of limited use for todays and tomorrows market and business
requirements.

If I was you and actually got that helicopter license or was in the
process of seriously getting that license and actually looking around
the marketplace for a job I would start at the bottom of the barrel and
look for operators who wanted to improve their appearance and bottom
line and who could seriously use your help.

If I were you I would use a helicopter operation as a business model
and put together a substantial presentation as to how your skills as a
software engineer could help their business and by being employed by
them how they as an operator could help you gain the hours your want.

Isn't this how you would go about obtaining employment if you were
interested in entereing automotive manufacturing business, or shoe
business, or construction business, or............??????????
Old March 31st 04, 12:25 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Shiver Me Timbers wrote:

Isn't this how you would go about obtaining employment if you were
interested in entereing automotive manufacturing business, or shoe
business, or construction business, or............??????????

It certainly isn't the way I would go about it. I may be completely out of date,
but I get the skills I need for the job first, then I apply for the position.

Sounds to me that's what Mr. Monkey has in mind.

George Patterson
Treason is ne'er successful, Sir; what then be the reason? Why, if treason
be successful, Sir, then none dare call it treason.
Old March 31st 04, 03:26 AM
Shiver Me Timbers

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

It certainly isn't the way I would go about it. I may be completely out of
date,
but I get the skills I need for the job first, then I apply for the position.

Yup.... I kinda realized I wasn't quite clear after I posted.

What I was trying to impress up him was that if he had a helicopter
rating and also had another marketeable skill that would be of true
value to a potential employer that he should put together a package
that highlighted those special skills to that company and why hiring
him would be mutually beneficial to both.
Old March 31st 04, 01:07 PM

Shiver Me Timbers wrote:

I currently work as a software engineer

First as everyone will tell you, I'm sure - DON"T give up your day job.

I doubt that he plans to give up his day job. I think he has been
reading the writing on the wall. Software jobs have been evaporating
faster than a raindrop in the desert. Anyone who has a job in IT
knows that they wont be employed for much longer due to the influx of
H-1B's, L-1's and offshoring. He is probably just preparing for that
now so he will be ready to switch carreers when forced to do so.

While being a commercial helicopter pilot is a very glamorous job, it
might be more practical to go back to biotech. Biotech/medical is one
of the few industries that are still hiring.

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old March 31st 04, 03:53 PM
Mark

NewsMonkey wrote in message t...
Hello All,

I was hoping I might be able to get some feedback/advice from people who
have experience in the commercial aviation field. I am trying to make a
decision on whether pursuing a career, as a commercial helicopter pilot
is realistic.

First a little (I promise) bit of background. I am a 34 y/o man in
good health and I currently work as a software engineer. My education is
*Snip*

I'm in the same boat.. errr plane.... I'm 37, have about 500 hours of
fixed wing (Commercial with Multi) time and looking for a change. I
also work in the computer field as a contractor (ie, all the work with
no benefits or security) and even though it pays well, I'm wanting
somthing more satisifying. I'm also married but we don't have any
kids. My wife is very supportive and is willing to move to let me
follow my dreams. So want am I doing about it? Well, I'm still
working my good paying job but working on expanding my flying
experience and hours.

I would LOVE to find a way to marry my love of computer and flying.
However I haven't found a niche for this (yet). I feel that I have a
good chance of making the switch. I have a good attitude and willing
to co-pilot for someone many years younger. I accept the fact that I
will be starting on the lowest level of the flying ladder but know
with proper training and hard work I will be able to succeed. Also,
with a CFI/II rating you will have a lot of advantages working in your
professional/computer field. I know I have a large pool of highly
paid engineers/programmers that want to learn to fly. So my advice
would be to learn to fly but keep working your day job. Get your
CFI/II rating and lobby your friends at work to take lessons. You get
paid to fly and you also have your good paying job till you have
enough flight time to get that flying job.

Once last thing, I think the most improtant part of getting a flying
job is attitude. Be positive, learn from your peers and respect the
younger pilots that have more hours.
Old April 1st 04, 03:23 PM
NewsMonkey

In article ,
says...

I doubt that he plans to give up his day job. I think he has been
reading the writing on the wall. Software jobs have been evaporating
faster than a raindrop in the desert.

Your are right on target. I like developing software. It's just that it
is getting harder and harder to find a job. Also job security is non-
existent. However, I still want to pursue doing something that I love to
do. Going to a job I hate everyday is a quick way to become bitter and
resentful and my wife and children don't need that.

The way I look at it is, I have a private pilot ticket so I could
apply my hours towards getting a Commercial license. Yes it is
expensive, hence why I am wondering if there would be any job
opportunities, but if there is a potential to make a living at it in the
end, then I think it is worth it.

Why helicopters? Well a few reasons. 1) Because every time I see one of
those amazing machines I am awestruck. I remember times in my flight
training at my local airfield where I would become distracted watching
the national guard helicopters training on the same field. My instructor
had to chew me out to pay attention to my own approach and forget about
the choppers. 2) Helicopters are more of a utility aircraft. From being
able to lift timber up to a mountain construction spot to searching for
and retrieving lost hikers. It just seems to me that there would be many
opportunities for a helo to make money for a business as opposed to a
plane. 3) Time at home. I have known a few airline pilots and they are
away for 1-2 weeks at a time. Not something I want to do.

You have all brought up very good points. Let me address a few..

"it might be more practical to go back to biotech. Biotech/medical is
one of the few industries that are still hiring."

Good point! The problem for me is that without a Ph.D., I would be a
lab rat. Stuck performing the experiments that other researchers came up
with. I knew many friends in graduate school who got their Masters
Degree in Biochem or Microbiology and most of them are frustrated
because they spent all this time learning how to be researchers but
because the do not have their doctorate the can never advance beyond
"lab rat". I should also say that one of the reasons I left grad school
before obtaining my Ph.D. was the rampant corruption I saw within
research. The dollar drives everything, from the awarding of grants and
research dollars to the appointment of researchers to faculty positions.
Principal researchers are pressured to churn out published articles,
regardless of their efficacy and validity, because grants are not
awarded to those who do not publish. I could go on and on, but I think
you all get the point.

"Now as they are starting to tell you - Don't expect to be flying a
copper chopper, medical chopper, TV chopper, or oilrig chopper
anytime soon."

Your right. This is where I am wondering if I will ever be able to get
enough time and experience for someone to hire me. I mean is someone
ever going to trust me to fly a multi-million dollar helicopter?
Especially when there are ex-military pilots out there with tons of
turbine engine time.

Let me close with another question. If one has a commercial ticket,
what does it take to get to a CFI level? Can one make decent money doing
this while gaining hours to convince a company they are good enough to
hire? Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

- Derek (Mr. Monkey)