air conditioning- nice, required, or silly?

Old July 8th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default air conditioning- nice, required, or silly?

Yeah the TO delays are a problem-trapped in a swealtering cockpit is
no fun.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Andy

Old July 8th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

150flivver wrote:
On Jul 8, 6:41 am, Mike Spera wrote:

They are R-12 systems in most planes...R-134? Many techs will not do a conversion because they can
screw up some systems irreparably. Even though many have converted
Pipers, the local auto tech has no experience and likely will not want
to "experiment" with a very expensive airplane...

Mike

I can't imagine that converting an R-12 system to R-134 wouldn't
require an STC.

I was not heading in that direction. My thought was that some R-12
systems contained some funky oil that turned to glue when R-134 oil hit
it. Hence, some auto guys will not do a "conversion" and risk getting
into a huge beef if the system gets all gummed up.

I would imagine that those same auto wrenches would also balk at going
to the local airport to "try out" converting a Piper from 12 to 134.

I would never suggest that a conversion would require and STC. But, some
FAA critter might.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old July 8th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:10:44 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

The problem is that many northeast airports are very busy and have long
taxi times. I've spent 30 minutes on the taxiway at Philly, Washington
National (pre 9/11 obviously), and Boston. On a 95 F day, this is
extremely unpleasant, even with the windows open (one nice 182 advantage).

Philly, Wash, Boston? No need to go there!

I've spent 30 minutes on the ground at Martha's Vineyard, New Bedford,
and Danbury.

Try 20 minutes waiting on the ground in Altus, OK :~(

Old July 8th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yeah the TO delays are a problem-trapped in a swealtering cockpit is
no fun.

Thanks for all the opinions.

What kind of airplane are you looking to put A/C in? (Cher 260?)

New, or retro-fit?

Even if you need it, your equipment _might_ not be able to handle it.

Old July 8th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

wrote:
The problem is that many northeast airports are very busy and have long
taxi times. I've spent 30 minutes on the taxiway at Philly, Washington
National (pre 9/11 obviously), and Boston. On a 95 F day, this is
extremely unpleasant, even with the windows open (one nice 182 advantage).

Philly, Wash, Boston? No need to go there!

I've spent 30 minutes on the ground at Martha's Vineyard, New Bedford,
and Danbury.

Probably waiting on a slot from ZBW! :-)

Matt
Old July 8th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

wrote:
The problem is that many northeast airports are very busy and have long
taxi times. I've spent 30 minutes on the taxiway at Philly, Washington
National (pre 9/11 obviously), and Boston. On a 95 F day, this is
extremely unpleasant, even with the windows open (one nice 182 advantage).

Philly, Wash, Boston? No need to go there!

I've spent 30 minutes on the ground at Martha's Vineyard, New Bedford,
and Danbury.

Try 20 minutes waiting on the ground in Altus, OK :~(

I'm sure that is no fun. The worst I had was about 20 minutes at
Detroit several years ago in the midst of one of their worst heat waves
ever. It was 102 according to the radio station, but on the ramp my OAT
was nearly pegged. And it was humid to boot. It wasn't even all that
cool at 7,000 on the way home! I'd have given up a lot of useful load
for AC that day...

Matt
Old July 8th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

What kind of airplane are you looking to put A/C in? (Cher 260?)

Looking for a 'new' plane and figuring options (C310 with Keith AC,
baron, saratoga, others)

Dale

Old July 9th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

What would be good to hear is how the A/C peroforms in different
aircraft. My seneca, very good. Baron, I heard good things about. I can
ask a friend about his saratoga. If the usefull load is still acceptable
to you, go for it. And if you need work on it, and can't find a shop,
let me know, I'll give you a pointer. Man is it nice.

John

Old July 9th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

I don't know if it is an stc thing, but there are conversions available.
It has always been far cheaper to stick with r12 in my seneca. I seem
to remembe being told is was about 6k to convert.

John

Old July 9th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_3_]

How much does aftermarket AC cost? The best price I've seen for a Baron was
around $25,000 installed!

Silly L/D stats Andy[_1_] Soaring 1 April 9th 07 05:14 AM
Silly controller Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 123 August 30th 06 01:56 AM
Saab 340 air conditioning? John Clonts Piloting 1 July 14th 06 05:00 PM
ELT Required for all SSA sanctioned contests starting 2006 ELT Required for all SSA sanctione Steve Leonard Soaring 2 September 14th 05 03:49 AM
Air Conditioning System for Homebuilts? JPAviation Home Built 18 February 6th 04 03:24 AM