GPS Visualizer: new global imagery + new features

Old March 16th 04, 08:05 PM
Adam Schneider

Default GPS Visualizer: new global imagery + new features

Hi all,

Here's an update on GPS Visualizer... it's been a couple months.

(GPS Visualizer -- http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ -- is a free,
web-based, platform-independent program that takes your GPS data files,
in a variety of formats, and generates customizable maps or profiles
as standard browser-viewable SVG drawings.)

New or relatively new features include:

* Landsat imagery -- at 30m resolution -- is now available for the
entire world! Before, it only covered the U.S. and southern/eastern
Europe. Now there's coverage in the U.K., all of Benelux, Oz, Japan,
South America, Africa, you name it. It's still in development, so it
doesn't always look perfect, but it's a great start. Look for it in
the backgrounds menu as "Worldwide: Landsat, 30m res. (experimental)."

* Street-level maps of Europe. Not such a new feature, but they went
missing for a while and now I've got them back. (Lost the equivalent
Canadian data, but for .ca the NRCan maps are probably better anyway.)
Hopefully they'll stick around this time.

* A "localizer" program that makes it easier to save GPS Visualizer maps
for off-line use, for editing, or for your own site. In the near
future, I may also have something available that will facilitate
turning screen shots of SVGs into HTML image maps.

* A few additions to the input form, like the ability to set limits on
the colorization/legend range, and to specify a size (in miles or km)
for maps of a single waypoint.

* Speaking of single points, GPSV now lets you directly pass in
waypoint data via a URL; ask me for details, if you want to use it
in conjunction with your own geographically-themed Web site.

That URL again is http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ -- as always, have fun
and let me know if you have any problems!

Adam Schneider
http://adamschneider.net/

..

Old March 18th 04, 01:32 PM