Burning out the pitot heat?

Old December 29th 04, 01:44 AM
Mitty

Default Burning out the pitot heat?

Hangar flying today, one high-time CFII, MEI, etc. expressed concern with
leaving the pitot heat on in warmer weather. Says he wants the heat in clouds
so the pitot doesn't fill up with mist/moisture/water but he turns it off in the
clear for fear of burning it out.

I've never heard or read about either of these issues before. Comments?
Old December 29th 04, 02:29 AM
Jay Somerset

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:44:55 GMT, Mitty wrote:

Hangar flying today, one high-time CFII, MEI, etc. expressed concern with
leaving the pitot heat on in warmer weather. Says he wants the heat in clouds
so the pitot doesn't fill up with mist/moisture/water but he turns it off in the
clear for fear of burning it out.

I've never heard or read about either of these issues before. Comments?

There should be no concern with burning it out when in flight, irrespective
of the ambient temperature. It should not be turned on on the ground for
longer than needed to check its operation, unless the temperature is near
freezing or below.
Old December 29th 04, 10:06 PM
Stan Gosnell

Mitty wrote in
:

Hangar flying today, one high-time CFII, MEI, etc. expressed concern
with leaving the pitot heat on in warmer weather. Says he wants the
heat in clouds so the pitot doesn't fill up with mist/moisture/water
but he turns it off in the clear for fear of burning it out.

I've never heard or read about either of these issues before.
Comments?

It's an electric heating element, and has a finite lifetime just like the
heating element in your electric range. Another problem can happen if
you miss the checklist item for turning it off, and someone on the ground
walks up and grabs it. Instant cooked palm. I only use it when
necessary.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old December 30th 04, 06:04 AM
Gene Whitt

Mitty,
A few years ago I picked up a C-182 that had been parked in the shade of a
hangar and shielded from the morning sun. What I found out was that there
was frozen moisture in the pitot tube. It had frozen during the night and
had not yet thawed in the morning.

A no-airspeed takeoff is not necessarily a problem but it does remind you
that preflight pitot heat on cool mornings is not a bad
idea.

gene Whitt

Any metallurgist's on the group, I want to heat treat aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 3 December 11th 04 12:50 PM
Carb heat specs? Rich S. Home Built 2 November 13th 04 05:39 PM
Painting and air cooled motor? CitizenX Home Built 5 June 30th 04 12:47 PM
28 volt pitot heat B2431 Home Built 15 April 17th 04 03:25 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 02:51 AM