A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Beringer parking brake

Old October 15th 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Beringer parking brake

A spin-off from Walt's thread on the D2 brake kit.
Looking through the Beringer catalog, there is a parking brake valve.

http://www.beringer-aero.com/en/prod...e-valve-30.htm

Has anyone installed a hydraulic parking brake in their glider, whether a Beringer, Cleveland, or other system?
That would have been a good mod to put in the ASH26E, where I missed the LS- style heel brakes on run-up.
A good parking brake would be useful for a windy day or uneven ground in any glider.
Hoping to avoid using the harness, pull strap, etc. on the blue handle.
EXP.
Jim
Old October 15th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 12:59:27 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:

Has anyone installed a hydraulic parking brake in their glider, whether a Beringer, Cleveland, or other system?
That would have been a good mod to put in the ASH26E, where I missed the LS- style heel brakes on run-up.
A good parking brake would be useful for a windy day or uneven ground in any glider.
EXP.
Jim

There is a kit from Schleicher for a parking brake. Bumper also has a kit for a parking brake, if I remember correctly.
Old October 15th 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 10:04:43 AM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 12:59:27 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:

EXP.
Jim

There is a kit from Schleicher for a parking brake. Bumper also has a kit for a parking brake, if I remember correctly.

Thanks Andrzej, but neglected to mention... Don't have the 26 any more.
Also wondering if there is a time limit on the hydraulic parking brake, ie: used overnight. Already use wheel chocks, but don't carry them with me in case of landing out.
Jim
Old October 15th 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

My previous 26E parking brake was a piece of broom handle with a rubber cap on one and a notch cut in the other to fit the back of the spoiler handle. It just wedged in front of the spoiler handle and held the brake on. Handy for short term use.

No hydraulic brake should probably be be left locked on over large temp changes, we'll see what Schleicher say when the Piggott hook/park brake kit arrives for my 26E.

Old October 15th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 11:55:55 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
My previous 26E parking brake was a piece of broom handle with a rubber cap on one and a notch cut in the other to fit the back of the spoiler handle. It just wedged in front of the spoiler handle and held the brake on. Handy for short term use.

No hydraulic brake should probably be be left locked on over large temp changes, we'll see what Schleicher say when the Piggott hook/park brake kit arrives for my 26E.

That ASH26E TN #20 Andrzej pointed out was only available after I sold the 26. Will talk with Rex about using that TN in a 27.
Haven't seen the drawing. For anyone with TN20 done, does the Piggot Hook protrude into the seating area?
Besides time/temperature issues, landing with a parking brake inadvertently turned on in flight could be messy.
Jim