A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LX Question

Old July 12th 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)
external usenet poster

Default LX Question

Hi Pilots,

I am looking for some understanding about an issue with my relatively new LX 9000. I have the map settings to be Track Up in cruise and North Up while circling just like I have done with previous instruments. The problem I am experiencing is that when pulling out of a circle and going to cruise the little glider symbol does not align with the course line. It is variable, sometimes pointing off as much as 30 degrees. The course line still points straight up but the glider symbol is heading off in some other direction.. I haven't been able to find a setting for adjusting this.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Bob
Old July 12th 17, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster

Default LX Question

Hey Bob,
A few years ago I was flying with a filser dx50 (grandpa to the LXs)
I remember the glider icon doing what you describe, I never gave it any thought, it is just an icon on a screen.
Good Lift,
Scott

Old July 13th 17, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default LX Question

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:56:59 PM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
Hey Bob,
A few years ago I was flying with a filser dx50 (grandpa to the LXs)
I remember the glider icon doing what you describe, I never gave it any thought, it is just an icon on a screen.
Good Lift,
Scott

Scott,

Totally different instrument, totally different company.

LXNAV has nothing to do with filser.

Richard,
Old July 13th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default LX Question

If you want the glider symbol to always point up you need a heading up option. I use goal up in the cruise so that the direction from current position to the next waypoint is up.
Old July 13th 17, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default LX Question

The problem I am experiencing is that when pulling out of a circle and going to cruise the little glider symbol does not align with the course line. It is variable, sometimes pointing off as much as 30 degrees. The course line still points straight up but the glider symbol is heading off in some other direction.

This angle is showing the wind. The plane symbol should be showing the real heading of the glider. The course line is the ground track.

Old July 13th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)
external usenet poster

Default LX Question

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:24:11 AM UTC-6, wrote:
The problem I am experiencing is that when pulling out of a circle and going to cruise the little glider symbol does not align with the course line. It is variable, sometimes pointing off as much as 30 degrees. The course line still points straight up but the glider symbol is heading off in some other direction.

This angle is showing the wind. The plane symbol should be showing the real heading of the glider. The course line is the ground track.

Wow, I hadn't thought about the wind and the crab angle. I will check that out. Thanks for the input.